Author Topic: Blyth History.  (Read 181053 times)

Offline Yossarian

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Blyth History.
« Reply #441 on: Wednesday 25 March 20 14:05 GMT (UK) »
Here is a link to the post (I receive no benefits from views). i hope my memory was accurate, and maybe someone could explain, or at least verify the bedsocks  :D

https://upthedownescalator.wordpress.com/?p=1839&preview=true

Offline pityackafromblyth

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Blyth History. Thomas Knight Memorial Hospital.
« Reply #442 on: Wednesday 25 March 20 15:29 GMT (UK) »
Yossarian, I believe this has been covered in 'Blyth History' here on Roots, and there will be photos included in the posts.  However, if you google the name then you will find various things re the hospital.  The first one I found this afternoon was a photo of it when presumably newly built -described as a scarlet fever hospital. Other entries on that google page show a link to the hospital in 'Burradonhistory......'  I also had my tonsils removed there.  Still remember being wheeled down the corridor to the theatre, and then the smell of the chloroform.  Eventually waking up a few hours later, still the smell of the chloroform, and followed by the vomiting of yellow bile.
The ice cream + jelly were a bribe. :)

Offline garthwaite76

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #443 on: Wednesday 01 April 20 14:32 BST (UK) »
Hi everyone - a newbie here, passing time indoors like everyone else. Fascinating to read this. I lived in Blyth for the first half of my life, before moving to East Anglia in 1986, and every page on here stirs a memory of some sort.
Specifically though, I thought I'd ask if anyone has any information regarding Wright Street Infant School as I've been unable to find anything at all on line. It's like it never existed. We lived in Salisbury Street until I was seven and WSI was my first school, starting in 1960 and moving to Crofton Juniors after that and BGS in 67. Wright Street had four classes, in age group order, Mrs Thompson, then Mrs Baker, Mrs Eadington, and finally Mrs Batty. I'd love to share some memories of it. The school was the last building on the left before Regent Street, opposite the Boy's Club. I haven't been able to find any pictures but I do have a team photo of a Boy's Club Football Team which is undated but from my father's age in the picture, I'd say late 40s. The school is the building in the background on the left.

Offline garthwaite76

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #444 on: Wednesday 01 April 20 14:41 BST (UK) »
I seem to have made a pigs ear of inserting that photo and missed off half the team, including my Dad. But the purpose was to get the school in shot and that's there. Sorry.

Offline pityackafromblyth

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #445 on: Wednesday 01 April 20 15:01 BST (UK) »
garthwaite76, Welcome to Roots and of course the Northumberland page. Do not worry about your minor mistake.  The football team you uploaded is top class and very clear indeed. Mistakes ? I stumbled upon Roots one Sunday night after a few cans. I ended up starting Blyth History, not knowing what I was doing ! :) , and look how it has mushroomed.  If you have read all 50 pages then you deserve a medal !
pityackafromblyth.

Offline TriciaK

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #446 on: Wednesday 01 April 20 16:59 BST (UK) »
Welcome to the forum, Garthwaite. The photo is very clear, I have no idea how to post photos.
I'm much older than you, I don't remember Wright St. school, but I do remember Crofton which is where I went to. Even running to school with a gas mask bumping on my back in the early 1940s.
Tricia .
Knott - Northumberland; Yorkshire (?Bridlington.)
Fenwick, Johnston - Northumberland.
Dixon; Hutchinson - York.
Shaw - ? Glasgow

Offline garthwaite76

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #447 on: Wednesday 01 April 20 17:31 BST (UK) »
I went to Crofton from 1963 as we moved from Salisbury St to Newsham Road, Others from my class went on to Morpeth Road. Actually Tricia, there seems very little on line about Crofton from back then either, but it is still a school so there is plenty of more recent content. Crofton in the 60s was split into four years with A, B and C streaming. My four teachers in order were, Mrs Hayton, Mrs Younghusband, Mr Leask and Mr Lough. We satrted history and geography as completley new subjects in year 1, and French in year 2, although we had Mr Catieuax for that. Mr Humble was head master but he didn't teach. The third year was in a separate annexe away from the main school, off a field next door, off Kingsway, next to Broadway field, where we'd all troop up for football on a Wednsday afternoon. I could go on and on so I'd better stop.

Offline Phodgetts

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #448 on: Thursday 02 April 20 13:46 BST (UK) »
This is Wright Street School as was in 1979. I am not sure who the original photographer was and it is a poor image, but I thought a poor image was better than no image at all.

Enjoy

P
Northumberland; Johnson, Johnston, Dodds, Rutherford, Gray, Kennedy, Wilson, Sanderson, Davidson and other Border Marauders as they are discovered on this journey.
Berkshire; Knight, Bristor, Sharpe, Sharp, Ashley.
Suffolk / Essex; Perce, Pearce, Pearse, Pierce, Hayes.
Midlands; Hodgetts, Parker, Easthope.

Offline Jool

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • James Dodson, beautifully restored by mozza29
    • View Profile
« Reply #449 on: Thursday 02 April 20 14:00 BST (UK) »
I seem to have made a pigs ear of inserting that photo and missed off half the team, including my Dad. But the purpose was to get the school in shot and that's there. Sorry.

Hi Garthwaite, welcome to Rootschat  :).
You haven't made a "pigs ear" of inserting the photo, it is just a bit too large to fit the page.  You can slide along the grey scroll bar at the bottom of the photo to bring the rest of the photo into view.
Robbins - Wolverhampton.
Spooner - Monmouthshire & Wolverhampton.
Warner & Loundes - Dudley/West Bromwich.
Dod(g)son - Heysham/Liverpool/Wolverhampton