Author Topic: Blyth History.  (Read 181226 times)

Offline peteloud

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Blyth History.
« Reply #414 on: Saturday 07 December 19 16:04 GMT (UK) »
pityackafromblyth

I think that the correct URL for the site you mention is,
https://co-curate.ncl.ac.uk

Offline pityackafromblyth

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #415 on: Thursday 19 December 19 17:30 GMT (UK) »
Can anyone provide information as to where the slaughterhouse was in Blyth ?  I had a delivery job (on a bike) after school hours.  I once had to go to the slaughterhouse to collect whatever for the butcher. If I recall it was on Plessey Road somewhere near Crofton Pit.  The afternoon when I visited it, I could hear the cattle bellowing as if they knew what awaited them.
And as regards deliveries on the bike, the short straw was to deliver to ONE customer at West Sleekburn; pedal up to the chain ferry, disembark at Cambois, and ride to the customer's house; then pedal back for a late finish. >:(

Offline peteloud

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #416 on: Thursday 19 December 19 19:33 GMT (UK) »
pityackafromblyth,

An amusing story from your younger days. I remember that corner of Union Street & Plessey Road that was dominated by Croften Pit, but I don't remember anything about a slaughter yard in that area. Was it to the right of the pit?  That is hardly surprising, we New Delaval kids never went that far from home, especially into Blyth.

It reminded me of a temporary job I had in the job in mid-1965.   I had just jacked in as an Engineer Apprentice with Shell Tankers to do a degree at Rutherford College of Technology and was waiting to start as a Technical Staff Trainee with CEGB at Blyth power Station. I worked as a bakery van driver for Newsham Co-op bakery.  Usually the job was just delivering trays of bread to various Co-op shops around Blyth, but every now and again I'd have to deliver supplies to a cake making dept. in Elliot Street, Newsham.  I can not forget the struggle I had to carry a 1 cwt, (that is about 50Kg), sack of dried coconut up the stairs to this baking outpost. I was the original six-stone weakling.

It is also interesting to think of salaries at that time.  When I left school, BGS, in 1962, aged 16, my salary with Shell was £158 per year. I can't remember what I was paid as a bakery van driver, but it was age-related, and wasn't very much.  But I do remember that a 21 year old van driver, or similar was paid, £11.50 per week, before off-takes.  At the power station, I was paid about £18 a week, but that included 'dirty money' awarded for hours spent on particularly unpleasant jobs. Working at the power station was good.  Many of the people there were very competent operatives and, I feel, deserved the good wages.

At that time a pint of Blue Star IPA beer in The Newsham Hotel was one shilling and three pence, across the road at The Club, Ordinary would be one shilling and a penny a pint.  That is approximately 6½p per pint or 5½ per pint.

Offline enak

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #417 on: Friday 20 December 19 01:48 GMT (UK) »
The Harringtons were there in the mid to late 1950s. I can remember going with my Mam when she went to change her books. I spoke to my sister who said that the lady who had Harrington’s lending library was called Edith and the daughter was Maureen. I looked at some records and found that Mr. Harrington was called Francis.
Apparently Jim Morgan (brother of George) and his wife bought the shop the shop after the Harringtons. It was then bought by Dougie and Linda Brown and its name was changed to Baccy, Booze and Bullits.
A friend reminded me that the little shop on the other corner was called “The Beehive Store”. As far as we remember a Mr. Foster owned it and lived in the property behind the shop. He used to cook his own cooked ham, pork etc.
There was, and still is, another fish and chip shop on Plessey Road. It is near Blyth Spartans Football ground and Patterson House. When I was growing up a man used to run it. (A friend tells me it was one of the  Cosimini family who had it.) When he sold up a couple called Frazer bought it. After them I think it was a young couple called Virtue who came from Berwick. It is now called Gino’s Fish Inn.
Pete Loud’s 1937 map shows the area known as “Little Grimsby”. I was always told the houses were built for fishing industry. Dalmatia was for skippers or captains and Bohemia, Columbia and Arcadia were built for he crew members. Don’t know if that is true. I remember the cinder footpath opposite the Plessey Road end of Broadway. We used to use this path, cross the railway bridge and walk along the path to First Beach. There were prefabs on the right hand side just before the bridge.
As you come up Plessey Avenue to the corner of Plessey Road on the left hand side there used to be a small general dealers. I think when I was very young a family called Hardy had it then the White family took it over. It then became John Turnbull’s until he retired and the shop was taken as part of the house. On the opposite corner, No. 1, Plessey Avenue, was the post office.  In 1939 it was run by Mrs. Jane Turnbull, who was the sub-Post Mistress. Also at the address was Margaret Turnbull who I think would be the daughter. I remember Miss Margaret Turnbull, who was a teacher at Crofton Infant School, was sometimes behind the counter.
Keeping on the same side as the post office, if you walk down the line of semi-detached houses you come to a cut which leads from Plessey Road to Hedley Avenue. Just after the cut was the Slaughter House. At one time it was the site of the baths for Crofton Pit. Later it was opened by a plaster company and I think now it is Elco Auto repairs.
I can also remember how busy Plessey Road was when the shipyard hooter went for dinner time. To me it seemed as though the world was riding up Plessey Road on their bikes but there again they didn't have a leisurely break.

Offline TriciaK

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #418 on: Friday 20 December 19 12:32 GMT (UK) »
Thanks enak - the late 50s was after I left Blyth. I was born in 1936.
I can remember Crofton pit, but not the slaughter house.
@PeteLoud - my oldest son , born 1962, got a job as an apprentice engineer for Shell in the late 70s. He changed his mind at the last minute, decided he couldn't stand the confinement.
Knott - Northumberland; Yorkshire (?Bridlington.)
Fenwick, Johnston - Northumberland.
Dixon; Hutchinson - York.
Shaw - ? Glasgow

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #419 on: Friday 20 December 19 16:10 GMT (UK) »
enak, Thanks for your post, and welcome to Roots.  You have clarified 2 points for me, i.e. 'Frankie Harrington' looks as though Francis Harrington was known to his workmates as 'Frankie', unless someone else appears here and corrects me.
The slaughterhouse, thanks for the information re that.  I always thought it was to the right hand side of Crofton Pit, when looking from the Joiners' Arms, i.e. the pub on Plessey Road, not looking from 'any joiner's arms.' :) ;) :D  I do not know why the slaughterhouse/abattoir came to mind after so many years.

Offline Malcolm33

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #420 on: Friday 20 December 19 17:26 GMT (UK) »
  I do not know why the slaughterhouse/abattoir came to mind after so many years.

It's something one can never forget.    During the War when I was living with Aunts in Newmarket Street, Consett, I used to go to school by the back lane which has all gone now.    Almost opposite on the other side of the lane was the Pig Slaughter House, and the Squeals and Screams can never be forgotten.    Once past the back of the Co-op delivery buildings I had to pass the Cattle slaughter house.    It was all open to the lane and you could see the poor creatures hanging from hooks still kicking.   Then once or twice I passed a man carrying a bucket of blood.   Another time our back yard door wasn't shut properly and some animals being herded for slaughter tried to escape into our yard.    No it is something you never forget.
Hutton: Eccleshill,Queensbury
Grant: Babworth,Chinley
Draffan: Lesmahagow,Douglas,Coylton, Consett
Oliver: Tanfield, Sunderland, Consett
Proudlock: Northumberland
Turnbull:Northumberland, Durham
Robson:Sunderland, Northumberland
Dent: Dufton, Arkengarthdale, Hunstanworth
Currie: Coylton
Morris and Hurst: East Retford, Blyth, Worksop
Elliot: Castleton, Hunstanworth, Consett
Tassie, Greenshields

Offline Pete E

• RootsChat Member
  • Man in his natural environment
    • View Profile
« Reply #421 on: Friday 20 December 19 17:44 GMT (UK) »
I recall the slaughter house, it was, as has been said to the right of the pit as you looked from the road. As I recall now, there was a cut that used to run down to and along the side of it and the squeals of the animals could be heard. I've had a look on, Google earth and a cut can be seen, just below what appears to be a car yard; this might be the one I recall, as I would assume it was/is a right of way!
I remember on at least two occasions animals escaping and a bullock (I think) terrorising all and sundry up to Crofton infants, where a young WPC had to vault the school railings to avoid the "rampaging beast".  ;)
 :( Sadly the Joiners Arms on Coomassie Road has been a mini mart for a few years and I noted on my last trip to Blyth that the Masons on Plessey Road was closed.
Northumberland; Mann, Lynn, Waters, Pyle, Murray.   Yorkshire; Ellis, Heckison, Proctor.<br />Lincolnshire; Wilkinson, Dawson.<br />Cumberland; Doran, Murray. Cheshire; Sutton,

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #422 on: Friday 20 December 19 18:13 GMT (UK) »
Malcolm33, and Pete E, Thank you for your input.  As regards your's Malcolm, I was always glad that I never had to visit the slaughterhouse on any further occasions.
And your post Pete E, I mentioned the incorrect pub name.  I said the 'Joiners' Arms', memory lapse. It shoud have been the Masons' Arms.  The outside of that pub was covered with gold and amber tiles.  Very impressive.  Only went in there 2-3 times in the early '60s, and if I am correct the inside of the bar, snug,etc. were nicely furnished.
Bring back the OLD Days ?  I doubt it, the old days started to disappear in the late '70s.