Author Topic: Henry Kirkwood, Bookbinder  (Read 4961 times)

Offline Kiki1958

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Henry Kirkwood, Bookbinder
« on: Saturday 09 October 10 19:00 BST (UK) »
I've found my paternal great great grandfather, Henry Kirkwood, through dublinheritage.ie:  in 1850, he married Mary Doyle.  in 1850, their eldest child, Mary Gertrude was born, followed by Frances in 1852.  and Michael in 1855 ( found Michael through the 1871 UK census, with his Father and Sister's in Liverpool. 

Could somebody look at Thom's between 1852 and 1870 to determine when Henry Kirkwood stops appearing in the Dublin directory?  According to church records, he stood as Godfather to Vincent Doyle in 1857, but I haven't found Henry or his children in the 1861 UK census--their first appearance is in 1871, in Liverpool.  From that census, both Henry and Michael Kirkwood give their professions as bookbinders.

So, if I could get an idea as to when Henry Kirkwood moved from Dublin, I'd appreciate it.

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: Henry Kirkwood, Bookbinder
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 10 October 10 15:42 BST (UK) »
there's a few Kirkwood listing in the directories but just one specific mention of a Henry. The listings only list the business owners (employees are not usually be listed). There are also a number of other Kirkwood connections in similar trades that might be of interest : 

1850 :
  Henry Kirkwood, bookbinder, 3 Arran St East
  Kirkwood & Son, law printers, 13 Ormond quay upr.
  John Kirkwood, circulating library, printer & stationer
    90 George's St lwr, Kingstown 

1852 :
  Kirkwood & Son, law printers, 13 Ormond quay upr.
  John Kirkwood, circulating library, printer & stationer
    90 George's St lwr, Kingstown 

1863 :
  John T. Kirkwood, law & general printer, 28 Ormond Quay, lwr
  Wm. Kirkwood, law & general printer, 33 gt. Brunswick st

1868 :
  S. Kirkwood, law & general printer28 Ormond Quay, lwr
  Wm. Kirkwood, printer, 33 gt. Brunswick st

following up on the location for Henry in 1850 of Arran Street east, show that it ran from Upr. Ormond Quay to Mary's Abbey, so close to the Ormond Quay Kirkwood business and the four courts. In later directories the address is tenements.

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline Kiki1958

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 10 October 10 17:36 BST (UK) »
Shane, many thanks.  I did some archival search, and found that Kirkwood and Son was taken over by a Mr. O'Brien, who filed for bankruptcy in the late 1850S.  All the printing equipment was listed for auction--can't help but wonder if that triggered the Kirkwood migration to Liverpool?

Offline gmccullo

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 20 October 10 22:16 BST (UK) »
That contains interesting material for me. My great great grandfather was John Kirkwood and family oral history is that he was the "Queen's Printer" in Dublin, but up until now I had not any information on him.

As far as I know he was dead by 1878 and his wife moved to Toronto, Canada to be with her daughter Elizabeth and her husband William Henry McCullough.

Is there any source of information on the family of John Kirkwood - children, brothers or anything?

Many thanks,
Grant

Offline Kiki1958

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 20 October 10 22:44 BST (UK) »
Grant, go to dublinheritage.ie and look in the baptismal records.  I found my great grandmother, Frances Kirkwood, in the baptismal registry. 

Family names can be valuable evidence.  The names "Frances" and "James" were used in my family, so I have deduced that James and Frances Doyle may be my great great great grandparents. 

There are Kirkwoods, upper class ones from Roscommon--do a search on google books for John Kirkwood.

Are your branch of the Kirkwoods Catholic or Protestant?  Henry Kirkwood married a Roman Catholic, Mary Doyle, but I can't find a baptismal record for him

your (perhaps) very distant cousin,

Peggy M.
Brooklyn, NY

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 20 October 10 22:55 BST (UK) »
a more comprehensive set of Dublin City parish records is available on www.irishgenealogy.ie

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline gmccullo

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 21 October 10 17:34 BST (UK) »
Hi Peggy M

The Kirkwood family in my family tree were Protestants. The famly story is that the men had to fight their way home from Sunday church service through Catholic parts of the town. Religious tensions ran very strong in Ireland.

Grant

Offline gmccullo

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 21 October 10 17:48 BST (UK) »
Hi Shane

Thanks for the link, it should prove useful to me.

Grant

Offline kenley

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 17 April 11 20:16 BST (UK) »
An aunt of my grandfather married a John Kirkwood about 1900. Her family lived in Chapelizod (3 miles west of Dublin).  He may have been the John Kirkwood who had been baptised in St. Laurence's Church, Chapelizod, in 1864.  If so, his father's name was Thomas and both families were Protestant.  According to a family narrative written in the 1970, (a) they had three children, Andrew, Tom and Sheila, (b) the family emigrated to South Africa, perhaps about the time of WW1 (1914-18), (c) Sheila had married and was living in St Helena at the time and (d) Andrew had a son Denis who published 'Behold the Man' in 1975.
Ken
Dublin