Author Topic: Henry Kirkwood, Bookbinder  (Read 4959 times)

Offline Buksnall

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Henry Kirkwood, Bookbinder
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 12 January 23 23:07 GMT (UK) »
That contains interesting material for me. My great great grandfather was John Kirkwood and family oral history is that he was the "Queen's Printer" in Dublin, but up until now I had not any information on him.

As far as I know he was dead by 1878 and his wife moved to Toronto, Canada to be with her daughter Elizabeth and her husband William Henry McCullough.

Is there any source of information on the family of John Kirkwood - children, brothers or anything?

Many thanks,
Grant

John and James Kirkwood arrived in Dublin in 1826 from Edinburgh.  They set up a copperplate engraving and printing firm, and made globes. James returned to Edinburgh in 1834 but  John carried on until about 1850 (John Kirkwood & Son, 13 Upper Ormond Quay (law printers), Dublin) when he returned to Edinburgh (Inveresk) and he died in 1852.   His son John Kirkwood came back to Scotland, was a Mechanical Engineer, and died in Montevideo, Uruguay in 1896. A brother of James and John, Alexander, set up in Edinburgh in 1826 with his grandfather in the engraving business - a business which continues to this day in the same family - Alexander Kirkwood and Son, Medalist, Silversmith, Engraver, etc.