Author Topic: Does skull mean anything  (Read 8516 times)

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad and Fireman at Kings Cross 13.7.1951
    • View Profile
Re: Does skull mean anything
« Reply #9 on: Monday 11 October 10 16:47 BST (UK) »
Or she may have remarried as a widow.
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)

Offline meles

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 11 October 10 16:54 BST (UK) »
I think the stone is to a lady = perhaps 'alias' was used as a synonym for 'maiden name'  ???  ???

Oh dear - toast crumbs under the "s" key...  ::)

meles
Brock: Alburgh, Norfolk, and after 1850, London; Tooley: Norfolk<br />Grimmer: Norfolk; Grimson: Norfolk<br />Harrison: London; Pollock<br />Dixon: Hampshire; Collins: Middx<br />Jeary: Norfolk; Davison: Norfolk<br />Rogers: London; Bartlett: London<br />Drew: Kent; Alden: Hants<br />Gamble: Yorkshire; Huntingford: East London

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline AntoR22

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 11 October 10 21:31 BST (UK) »
Hi All .. My you have been busy in my absence.. read article about skull and cross bones was wondering how long it would take for a body to deteriorate enough to collect its skull and bones ?? .. And who got the job of doing it ?

Thanks to all for kind help

Anthony

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 12 October 10 18:45 BST (UK) »
Depends entirely on the conditions in which the body was situated, anything from a few months to some years. In some areas bodies were removed from the graveyard periodically and the skull and long bones stored. This was so that the graveyard could be reused due to lack of space. Remember to a religion that believes in resurrection the body is nothing, its owner has left and gone on to otherhigher things.
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)

Offline Lydart

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 12 October 10 19:03 BST (UK) »
On the Greek islands, where the ground is often VERY rocky, bodies are buried ABOVE ground, in a plot built up above the surrounding ground, usually with marble.   After three years, the bodies/bones are removed so the grave can be re-used.   The bones are taken to an ossuary, and hung up in labelled cloth bags until they are quite dry, and then added to family 'coffins' which may contain many skeletons (in pieces).

Needless to say, Greek graveyards are often a bit whiffy !    :-X 
Dorset/Wilts/Hants: Trowbridge Williams Sturney/Sturmey Prince Foyle/Foil Hoare Vincent Fripp/Frypp Triggle/Trygel Adams Hibige/Hibditch Riggs White Angel Cake 
C'wall/Devon/France/CANADA (Barkerville, B.C.): Pomeroy/Pomerai/Pomroy
Som'set: Clark(e) Fry
Durham: Law(e)
London: Hanham Poplett
Lancs/Cheshire/CANADA (Kelowna, B.C. & Sask): Stubbs Walmesley

WRITE LETTERS FOR FUTURE GENERATIONS TO TREASURE ... EMAILS DISAPPEAR !

Census information Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 12 October 10 19:26 BST (UK) »
Personally I like the recycling idea contained in sky burial!

Offline AntoR22

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 12 October 10 21:29 BST (UK) »
Personally I think I'd like to be launched at the Sun .... I have heard that in some countries you dont actually buy a grave you rent it  and the remains are returned to the family after a period of time ??

Anthony

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 13 October 10 15:13 BST (UK) »
Quote from: AntoR22 link=topic=488300.msg3466806#msg3466806 date=128691 the remains are returned to the family after a period of time ??

Anthony
[quote
A new dimension on getting your own back I suppose. Interested to know where?