Author Topic: Edwin Crowhurst Jones - what happened to him?  (Read 2446 times)

Offline Peter J

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Edwin Crowhurst Jones - what happened to him?
« on: Sunday 10 October 10 21:30 BST (UK) »
Seeking assistance in tracking down Edwin Crowhurst Jones b.1879, Bancroft Road, Mile End Old Town.

I have him in the censuses of 1881 and 1891, but he then disappears until October 1921, when he turns up as the informant on the death cert of his father, Alfred Jones, in which his address is given as 31 Cantrell Road (Stepney). 31 Cantrell Road, was his recently deceased brother Charles' home address, where Edwin's sister-in-law Emily and her children were living.

Edwin was the third-born of six children (all male) to parents, Alfred Jones and Emily nee Beavis.

This is everything I know of him - any information relating to this man would be of great help, and very much appreciated.

With thanks,

Peter.
JONES [East London, Deal & Dover, Kent]
CROWHURST [Sussex & Kent]
GOYMER [Deal & Dover, Kent]
NEWSOM(E) [Kent]
GUY [Kent]
EZRA [St. Pancras & East London]
LINDSEY [North London & East London]
ARKELL [Glos. & East London]
CURTIN, O’SHEA, JAGOE, DONOVAN [Cork City, Ireland]

Offline Hackstaple

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Family researcher
    • View Profile
Re: Edwin Crowhurst Jones - what happened to him?
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 10 October 10 22:41 BST (UK) »
The only Edwin Jones born Mile End that I can find in the 1901 census is a Royal Marine at Chatham. That Edwin is shown as age 20 and has no middle name. Others on the muster roll have their middle names recorded.

So, the most usual solution to young men missing in 1901 is the Boer War or elser they are sailors.
Southern or Southan [Hereford , Monmouthshire & Glos], Jenkins, Meredith and Morgan [Monmouthshire and Glos.], Murrill, Damary, Damry, Ray, Lawrence [all Middx. & London], Nethway from Kenn or Yatton. Also Riley and Lyons in South Africa and Riley from St. Helena.
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Peter J

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 10 October 10 22:55 BST (UK) »
Thank you for this H,

I am very glad you mention this because I had suspected as much. I too noted the Edwin you cite at Chatham, but was reluctant to add it to my initial post in case it clouded matters.

I suppose obtaining his certificate of service would be the next logical step, if it is available and I can narrow him down from all the other Joneses! (We're are a very exclusive bunch, don't you know).

Regards,
NEWSOM(E) [Kent]
GUY [Kent]

Offline jorose

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 11 October 10 11:31 BST (UK) »
http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/documentsonline/royalmarines.asp
 - possibly the one on the census is Edwin Jones b. "11 Jan 1887" (may be a mistranscription for 1881)
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Peter J

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 11 October 10 11:55 BST (UK) »
Thank you, Jorose,

I know from Edwin's birth cert that he was born on 18th Jan 1879 - how reliable would you say the birth dates given on Service Certs are?

My Grandfather (Royal Navy 1913-1921) has an incorrect birth date on his Service Cert, though it is out by a matter of days rather than years.

Peter.
NEWSOM(E) [Kent]
GUY [Kent]

Offline Hackstaple

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Family researcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 11 October 10 12:21 BST (UK) »
No reason for Edwin to downgrade his age on enlistment - the reverse was often the case. So the Edwin, marine, 1901 is not your Edwin. He may still have been in South Africa or out of the country. Does he appear in 1911?
Southern or Southan [Hereford , Monmouthshire & Glos], Jenkins, Meredith and Morgan [Monmouthshire and Glos.], Murrill, Damary, Damry, Ray, Lawrence [all Middx. & London], Nethway from Kenn or Yatton. Also Riley and Lyons in South Africa and Riley from St. Helena.
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Peter J

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 11 October 10 12:29 BST (UK) »
Does he appear in 1911?

Haven't found him so far, but that's not to say he's not there, of course.

The unusual middle name is something which has really helped me with the Jones family research across the various generations; so it has been a bit disappointing that in Edwin's case it has not jumped off the page at me. I often wonder if perhaps he wasn't too fond of it, and so avoided using it wherever possible.

Peter.

NEWSOM(E) [Kent]
GUY [Kent]

Offline Hackstaple

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Family researcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 11 October 10 19:53 BST (UK) »
I see that the name has now become hyphenated with the birth of a young lady in 2004. I had looked under that as well.

Offline Hackstaple

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Family researcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 11 October 10 20:01 BST (UK) »
There were 3 men called Edwin Jones who fought in the Boer War:
No. 32973 in the Imperial Yeomanry
No. 5698 in the Derbyshire Regiment/ Sherwood Foresters
No. 3672 in the Welsh Dragoon Guards. He was Edwin Caswell Jones.

So his absence in 1901 is quite possibly explained this way.