Author Topic: ~ completed ~ Can you date this trip to I.O.M.?  (Read 1186 times)

Offline Richard Broadhurst

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
~ completed ~ Can you date this trip to I.O.M.?
« on: Monday 11 October 10 01:45 BST (UK) »
Greetings, can anyone date this family trip souvenir photo credited to the Hugh H. MacKay, Viking Studio, Douglas Head Rd I.O.M.?  And perhaps estimate the ages of the the family members?

The photo is of my great grandparents family but I don't know who's who: Parents Richard Broadhurst (1855-1910) and Sarah Ann Jones Broadhurst (1861-1926) and children; 1) Fannie, 1877 ; 2) Annie, 1879; 3) Sarah, 1882; 4) Jack, 1884; 5) Gertrude, 1887; 6) May, 1888; 7) Peter, 1889; 8) Nellie, 1891; 9) Violet, 1894; 10) Percy, 1896; and 11) Willie, 1898. In the 1901 England census two of their children were not in the household; Fannie and Sarah. The father Richard died in the Oswaldtwistle area in 1911.

No restoration is requested.

Warm Regards,
Richard
BROADHURST

Offline chinakay

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Our housegoof
    • View Profile
Re: Can you date this trip to I.O.M.?
« Reply #1 on: Monday 11 October 10 05:15 BST (UK) »
Hello Richard, welcome to Rootschat :)

This looks like about 1905 or so, with the ladies showing the Edwardian fashion of the pigeon-fronted blouse, a bit puffed out just above the waist. Also showing the loose pompadour hairstyle of the era, and the hats they are wearing haven't broadened out to their maximum of shoulder width, which I think happened in 1911, and then started back in again. Lovely photo.

If you would like it restored, could you please rescan it at 300pdi and in colour, and repost it? You will have to change the file name, as Rootschat "remembers" the name of every photo. Just add a couple of letters or numbers to it and that should be fine.

Cheers,
China
Moore/Paterson~Montreal
Moore/Addison~New Brunswick
Jubb/Kerr~Mirfield~Halifax~Moffatt
Williams~Dolwyddelan

King~Bedfordshire~Hull
Jenkins~Somerset
Sellers~Hull

Offline Richard Broadhurst

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
~ completed ~ Re: Can you date this trip to I.O.M.?
« Reply #2 on: Monday 11 October 10 20:41 BST (UK) »
Thank you, China. Your information is much appreciated and it's a wonderful introduction to RootsChat for me!

Warm Regards,
Richard
Honolulu
BROADHURST