Author Topic: Passengers and Crew to and from Australia  (Read 5083 times)

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
Passengers and Crew to and from Australia
« on: Monday 11 October 10 15:22 BST (UK) »
Not sure if this is the correct place to put this.  If not please will someone move it to where it might be more useful.

I found the following website by accident and it seems a good place to search for missing ancestors who might have been crewmen and not be shown on any census.

http://mariners.records.nsw.gov.au/index.htm

Lizzie

ps.  I should have said it includes

Masters, crew, a stowaway or two; passengers, cabin, saloon and steerage; births at sea, deaths at sea; deserters; vessels with one crew and one passenger and those with 70 crew and hundreds of passengers; simple single sail boats, barques, brigs, large steam ships; whaling voyages, regular coastal passenger trips, voyages from other Australian ports, London, San Francisco, China and other exotic ports

Offline billramp

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Passengers and Crew to and from Australia
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 12 October 10 00:48 BST (UK) »
Hi Lizzie
Thanks for the link...already useful..grandad is supposed to have stowed away on the cutty sark when he was sixteen... he is not on the 1891 census and at that time (following a link on your link!!) the cutty sark arrived in Sidney on July 13th 1891...passenger and crew lists have not been put on the site yet but I await eagerly!
Bill
RAMPLING and CHANDLER London,Middlesex,Surrey.
DOWN,  HITCHCOCK, PAGE  London and Devon.
HIGGS  London and Warwickshire (Birmingham)
SAUNDERS Folkestone, Kent
JERVIS, HOLMES, DOWNS  Longton,Staffordshire
BARRINGTON London
MILES, DEAN London, Somerset
POLGREAN Cornwall

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 12 October 10 03:02 BST (UK) »
Hi There,
Here’s a link to two of many newspaper cuttings ... this one has details of the voyage in 1891 (it was quite a significant trip for the captain nearly went over board !)
http://newspapers.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/13831180
Last voyage of the Cutty Sark : http://newspapers.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/18455920

Australia's historic online newspapers http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/home  free to search  ;D

And Cutty Sark :

http://www.cuttysark.org.uk/
FAQ section includes :
Crew lists for Cutty Sark are all included in the book by S.F. Bailey The Crews Of Cutty Sark, London 1989, which can be purchased from our shop. This is a comprehensive list of all known crewmembers while sailing under the British flag (1870-1895). This book was compiled using the original crew lists held in the archives of the National Maritime Museum.If you are researching your family history and believe your ancestor sailed on the ship, please see the section on Research and Enquiries.
and
Full crew lists for the period 1870-1895 can be found in S.F. Bailey's book The Crews of Cutty Sark, London, 1989. This information is drawn from the original crew lists held at
The National Maritime Museum. If you are interested in viewing the original documents, please visit The National Maritime Museum archive.
Please note that the Trust has very limited information about the crews during the period of Portuguese ownership 1895-1922.
More assistance in tracing ancestors who served in the Merchant Navy can be found in The National Maritime Museums Research Guides.

Cheers, JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline billramp

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 13 October 10 03:03 BST (UK) »
Thanks JM for those links.....I have ordered a copy of the crew lists, which should be interesting.....was also interested about the captain nearly went overboard, because my grandfathers uncle and cousin were rescued by the lifeboats in 1904 in severe gales off Folkestone, and their fishing boat was wrecked, the story in the local paper tells of the families waiting on the quay side for the lifeboat to return....one lifeboatman lost his life..makes me think of the families of those miners in Chile, who we hope are about to be rescued.
The dangers that many people went through then to support their families and now.
I had never thought of looking at the Cutty Sark from the Australian angle!!

Thanks once again

http://www.mbla.co.uk/loss-of-the-good-intent.htm
RAMPLING and CHANDLER London,Middlesex,Surrey.
DOWN,  HITCHCOCK, PAGE  London and Devon.
HIGGS  London and Warwickshire (Birmingham)
SAUNDERS Folkestone, Kent
JERVIS, HOLMES, DOWNS  Longton,Staffordshire
BARRINGTON London
MILES, DEAN London, Somerset
POLGREAN Cornwall

Offline Wiggy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • coloured by Gadget
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 13 October 10 06:28 BST (UK) »
Thanks for this link Lizzie - haven't found 'him' yet but still looking!!   the surname appears often but  . . . .  Maybe!

Wiggy    :)
Gaunt, Ransom, McNally, Stanfield, Kimberley. (Tasmania)
Brown, Johnstone, Eskdale, Brand  (Dumfriesshire,  Scotland)
Booth, Bruerton, Deakin, Wilkes, Kimberley
(Warwicks, Staffords)
Gaunt (Yorks)
Percy, Dunning, Hyne, Grigg, Farley (Devon, UK)
Duncan (Fife, Devon), Hugh, Blee (Cornwall)
Green, Mansfield, (Herts)
Cavenaugh, Ransom (Middlesex)

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 13 October 10 13:48 BST (UK) »
Wiggy - I haven't found my g.grandfather yet, but there are lots of entries when I put in his name.  Need to take time to search through.

Lizzie