Author Topic: British Subjects  (Read 1279 times)

Offline Roy G

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
British Subjects
« on: Tuesday 12 October 10 07:25 BST (UK) »
Sorry this is more general than London based, but I had no idea where else on Rootschat to put it.

I have found two references to a distant Hungarian relative (Kahlman Tenner a wig importer) in London.  He appears on 1911 census index, and is recorded as becoming a British subject in 1914. But after that he just dissappears.

As the line is not too important, at the moment I am just curious to know whether any of you ever followed up these British Subject refernces, and if so, what further information about the family it is likely to give? 
Furthermore,  as Hungary chose to take the opposition's side in WW1, what if anything, happened to those with a former nationality that could be thought to be suspect?

Roy G

Offline Hackstaple

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Family researcher
    • View Profile
Re: British Subjects
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 12 October 10 07:29 BST (UK) »
An Aliens Internment Act was passed very soon after hostilities broke out. Many were interned. Recent naturalisation, then after 5 years of residence, was not necessarily a protection.
Southern or Southan [Hereford , Monmouthshire & Glos], Jenkins, Meredith and Morgan [Monmouthshire and Glos.], Murrill, Damary, Damry, Ray, Lawrence [all Middx. & London], Nethway from Kenn or Yatton. Also Riley and Lyons in South Africa and Riley from St. Helena.
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Valda

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 12 October 10 09:07 BST (UK) »
Hi

His death is registered  in Hackney registration district aged 74 in 1948

Records of Internees

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/records/looking-for-person/internees.htm?WT.lp=rg-3185

Regards

Valda
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Roy G

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 12 October 10 11:08 BST (UK) »
Thanks Valda. 
I always wondered what happened to my wife's grandmother's second husband's brother after he moved to England.  Well you do dont you! 
In 1911 he was in a hotel, but I now assume he must have subsequently ridden out two wars (with his family batting for the opposition) and made a home for himself somewhere in Hackney.  Next step is to find out if he changed his name to Karl or Charles, where in Hackney he lived, and if he continued as a Wig maker/importer, or moved into another industry?
Never ending task this family history lark!

Roy G

Offline Valda

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 12 October 10 13:42 BST (UK) »
Hi

His death is registered as

Kalman Tenner

Regards

Valda
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 12 October 10 13:44 BST (UK) »
I always wondered what happened to my wife's grandmother's second husband's brother after he moved to England.  Well you do dont you!

I do, that's how I get carried away with family research.  Pity I can't find anything out about my g.grandfather's origins. ::)

Offline Roy G

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 12 October 10 17:19 BST (UK) »
Valda:
Now found it as well amongst the deaths on FreeBMD.  An obvious place where I never thought it would be.  Ironically I was always searching for a late marriage or even later children, and then thought he probably went on to the USA or returned to Hungary.  Apparently he stayed and weathered the storm of being an alien during two world wars.  Good on him, and many thanks to you.    By the way, he was Kalman, but out here in Budapest it is said Kahlman!

LizzieW:
Looks like you've got a family tree record like mine Lizzie, recorded horizontally along an entire roll of wall paper, with a number of unfortunate gaps in places where you should have asked living elderly relatives questions long before their inevitable demise.

Now, am I pushing my luck by asking if anyone has a post or pre war London post office directory or Kellys covering Hackney, to give me Kalman's former address, and if possible to to let me know if a Tenner continued to live there after his death?
(Problem with Googling 'Tenner' is that virtually everything you get refers to two fivers)

Roy G