Author Topic: Charters Family of "Glendona",Gobrana,County Antrim  (Read 6114 times)

Offline Lazarus

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Charters Family of "Glendona",Gobrana,County Antrim
« on: Tuesday 17 January 06 03:30 GMT (UK) »
My great grandfather Clarence Hooper Charters (known as Hooper) born 1829 Gobrana,came to Australia C1860 without his first wife Elizabeth Cunningham who he had married C1853 Ireland.She may have died 1862 Ireland.
There were three children of this marriage:Mary Ann Charters b1854 Antrim(came to Australia 1871,Thomas Cunningham Charters b1856 and George Cunningham b1857.

I would appreciate help in determining birth,death and marriage details for Elizabeth (Cunningham) Charters and assumed death details of children Thomas and George.George may have been bapt. 11.9.1858 Templepatrick,Antrim.
The children may have been cared for by relatives in Roughfort,near Templepatrick.Mary Anne may have attended Glenavy school.
Clarence Hooper Charters went on to marry 1878 in Australia,Madeline Sarah Hendy.

Would someone please help,perhaps by checking census?
Lazarus
Wyatt and Wood of Glossop, Derbyshire. Longstaff of Bishop Auckland,Durham. Harry of St Austell and St Kew,Cornwall. Charters of County Antrim.Knight of Warwickshire.Hendy of Ballyedmonduff.

Offline Christopher

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
Re: Clarence Hooper Charters 1829-1905
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 22 January 06 14:34 GMT (UK) »
Lazarus,

I do not know if I am able to help. I have a copy of the "Mills and Millers of Ireland of About 1850." It is a list compiled by William Hogg. Published in 1997 by William Hogg.

Under the heading Templepatrick - Craigarogan the name Elizabeth Chartres appears in a list of people connected with a Flax Mill, offices and lands of 90 acres. The same group of people also had a Yarn bleach works, offices and lands of 6 acres. I wonder if this Elizabeth Chartres was i fact your Elizabeth Charters?

Best Wishes, Christopher

Offline Lazarus

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Clarence Hooper Charters 1829-1905
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 22 January 06 18:31 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Christopher.It is a little difficult to say if this would be Elizabeth nee Cunningham.My great grandfather Clarence Hooper Charters (Hooper) was born "Glendova" Gobrana where his father was an army captain and farmer.Several of the family came to Australia.
John Charters 1796-1874 brother of the father of Clarence was involved in the flax spinning industry on the Falls Road Belfast.He had married the daughter of James Boomer who I understand was a prominent cotton spinner.The "Charters Mills' were established 1835 by the firm Charters Coates and Gamble.
John Charters made a vast amount of money as a result of the American Civil War.
Sorry to be so vague but none of this really helps in identifying Elizabeth Cunningham.Her third child George was baptised 11.9.1858 Templepatrick.Clarence remarried 1878 in Australia so I assume she must have died before then.
I appreciate your help.
Rex
Wyatt and Wood of Glossop, Derbyshire. Longstaff of Bishop Auckland,Durham. Harry of St Austell and St Kew,Cornwall. Charters of County Antrim.Knight of Warwickshire.Hendy of Ballyedmonduff.

Offline Lazarus

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 26 January 06 07:19 GMT (UK) »
Look up appreciated please for Elizabeth Charters (nee Cunningham) may have died C1862 also her children Thomas Cunningham Charter and George Cunningham Charters born 1856 and 1857 respectively.Her husband came to Australia C1860.

Offline Lazarus

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 30 December 06 22:54 GMT (UK) »
I am hoping that some kind person with access to records can help me in my search.A posting I made Jan.2006 was unproductive (nil response).
Clarence Hooper Charters was born 15th Jan.1829 at Antrim,County Antrim.He came to Australia C1860.
He had married C1853 Elizabeth Cunningham (location unknown).
They had four children:
Mary Ann b18.8 1854 Antrim,came to Australia 1851
Thomas Cunningham b15.4.1856 ? d pre 1878
George Cunningham b29.8.1857 bpt.30.5.1856 Templepatrick, ? d pre 1878
Clarence Hooper (Jnr) b5.9.1859 Belfast bpt. 30.5.1860,came to Australia 1871.
Little is known about Thomas Cunningham and George Cunningham or their mother Elizabeth (nee Cunningham) who is thought to have died C1862.
Clarence Hooper Charters (known as Hooper) married a second time in Australia 1878.
I am hoping census records might reveal some information.
It is my understanding that "Glendona" might still exist.
It is extremely difficult to research this family from Australia.
My grandmother was a Charters. :o

Offline Bob2399

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Charters Family of "Glendona",Gobrana,County Antrim
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 08 February 07 20:47 GMT (UK) »
Hi I know that we have 'talked' before and I'm sorry to hear that you are no further forward. It may be a consolation for you to know that I am getting nowhere with my Charters either
McGrath; Charters; Fenner; O'Hara; Carleton; Sloan; Tobergill Street; Cambria Street; Ghent Street

Offline Lazarus

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 08 February 07 21:42 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Bob.
It is disappointing as I would have thought there would be something out there."Glendona" has a web site for its current use but they do not reply to my enquiries.Apparently Sir William Whitla who had a connection to Belfast General Hospital was a one time owner.I think he was knighted 1902.I have letters written by the family from "Glendona" to sons who came to Australia.
Thank you for your interest.
Rex

Offline scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • A tree full of life, a life full of branches!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 08 February 07 22:00 GMT (UK) »
There is a Bed & Breakfast named  Glendona House on the Gorbana Road. Perhaps this property has some connection to the one you mention.

You may also like to have a read at this website.

As far as I can find, the 1851 Census did not survive for Gorbana, but the 1901 is available. You can check availability in Australia at this link.
"Trees without roots fall over!"

""People who never look backward to their ancestors will never look forward to posterity." - Edmund Burke

Don't just wait for the storm to pass, learn to dance in the rain.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious and however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at.”  Stephen Hawking

In a world where you can be anything, be kind .

Offline Lazarus

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 08 February 07 22:15 GMT (UK) »
Thank you scotmum.I found that bed and breakfast site and have tried to contact them in case they have even scraps of information or point of referral.They do not reply.I am sure that this is the property.
Rex