Author Topic: Charters Family of "Glendona",Gobrana,County Antrim  (Read 6113 times)

Offline Lazarus

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Charters Family of Antrim
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 14 February 07 19:48 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Chris. I have several letters written by the family 1862-1866 and had hoped the original building remained.
Apparently the Giffiths valuation book for County Antrim 1862 recorded James Charters (1794-1861) as farming 96 acres 2 roods 20 perches in Gobrana-"Glendona"-Post Town Crumlin,Parish of Camlin.There were 6 houses on the property apart from his own.In 1826 William Whitla ( ? Sir) had a farm of 96 acres,so I am guessing James must have purchased the property from Whitla.James has been described as an army captain.He was married to Anne Skelton 1798-1871.I have not found the marriage but Skelton could be a Yorkshire family.

Alexander Charters 1761-1818 married Eleanor Mackey 1767-1856.Both are buried at Muckamore.Alexander was Postmaster at Antrim in 1813.
Any snippets greatly appreciated.Thanks again.
Rex Harry----Australia
Wyatt and Wood of Glossop, Derbyshire. Longstaff of Bishop Auckland,Durham. Harry of St Austell and St Kew,Cornwall. Charters of County Antrim.Knight of Warwickshire.Hendy of Ballyedmonduff.

Offline Lazarus

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 17 February 07 00:06 GMT (UK) »
Good morning from here Chris.
Any further record of the Charters family please?
Regards
Rex
Wyatt and Wood of Glossop, Derbyshire. Longstaff of Bishop Auckland,Durham. Harry of St Austell and St Kew,Cornwall. Charters of County Antrim.Knight of Warwickshire.Hendy of Ballyedmonduff.

Offline Lazarus

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Clarence Hooper Charters 1829-1905
« Reply #20 on: Saturday 24 March 07 00:18 GMT (UK) »
I am still on the lookout for information concerning my Charters family,particularly Elizabeth nee Cunningham.She must have died C1862 and was the widow of my great grandfather Clarence Hooper Charters who later came to Australia and remarried.
Christopher kindly referred me to a book "Mills and Millers Of Ireland of About 1850".Apparently there is reference to the Charters family with regard to a flax Mill at Templepatrick-Craigarogan.
C.H.C was born "Glendona" Gobrana,Co.Antrim where his father was a farmer and probably an Army captain.
However I am aware that other members of the Charters family including John 1796-1874,George Washington Charters 1828-1900 were involved in the flax spinning industry.
I am inclined to think that Elizabeth Charters may have been nee Cunningham.
Would there be any 1861 Census information available?
Any further help greatly appreciated.
Lazarus ???

Offline Tees

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Saturday 24 March 07 01:43 GMT (UK) »
Hi Lazarus,

I hate to break a bad news to you...there is no 1861 or 1871 Census for Ireland--there are only two "earliest" census we have are: 1901 and 1911 censuses.

The early censuses were destroyed and burnt at various point in the Irish history--most of them were destroyed at the hands of the governmental employees on the order and other censuses were burnt due to the bombing of the governmental building (Custom House, I think it was) during the War of Independence.

That is why the Irish government made an exception for the public to view the 1911 Census along with 1901 Census due to the very few sources that the family historians could access to. There will be an online database before this year is out--starting with Dublin then other counties.

Another source you can look up is the Griffith's Valuations--it is only good if you know your family members owned the land or rented it. And you can try and ask that the same church where George was baptised if they have a burial register book showing her burial or the communion list showing her but was "striken" off when she passed on.

Sorry about this--that is the perils of doing Irish genealogy.

I wish you the best of luck and every success in finding your Charters ancestors!

Kind regards,

Tees

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Saturday 24 March 07 08:22 GMT (UK) »
Lazarus- don't know if you have this, but Mormon records show 4 children to Clarence Charters & Elizabeth Cunningham:
1. Mary Anne, born 18 Aug.1854 Antrim, Antrim
2. Thomas, born 15 Apr.1856 Antrim
3. George Cunningham, born 29 Aug.1857 Antrim
4. Clarence Hooper, born 5 Sept.1859 Belfast, christened 30 May 1860 Templepatrick, died 24 Feb.1936, married....

Unfortunately the above details are all submitted records with no source given.

Also shows Clarence Hooper Charters as son of James Boomer Hooper & Anne Skelton...
This information has contact details.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Lazarus

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Saturday 24 March 07 10:04 GMT (UK) »
Thank you aghadowey.
I do have the information you have listed regarding the four children of Clarence Hooper Charters and Elizabeth.
My grandmother was a daughter of his second marriage here in Australia.I know little of his first wife and their family.
Mary Ann Charters,who was a half sister to my grandmother,did come to Australia as did a brother also Clarence.
I was hoping to learn more about Elizabeth (Cunningham) and the sons Thomas and George who may have died young.
Clarence Hooper Charters came to Australia C1860 and may have intended that his wife Elizabeth and children follow him.However Elizabeth died 1862.He married again 1878 in Australia.
Any help appreciated.
Lazarus

Offline Lazarus

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Wednesday 06 June 07 05:00 BST (UK) »
Hello Chris
With regard to my earlier posting regarding "Gobrana",I can see that you telephoned them for me and discovered that the present day building was built 1906 and little remains of the original.
I am pretty sure that we are speaking about the same property.
Any suggestions where I might search further for information on the Charters family?
Thanks for your help.