Author Topic: Charters Family of "Glendona",Gobrana,County Antrim  (Read 6115 times)

Offline scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • A tree full of life, a life full of branches!
    • View Profile
Re: Charters Family of "Glendona",Gobrana,County Antrim
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 08 February 07 22:20 GMT (UK) »
Have you considered purchasing any of these birth records?
"Trees without roots fall over!"

""People who never look backward to their ancestors will never look forward to posterity." - Edmund Burke

Don't just wait for the storm to pass, learn to dance in the rain.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious and however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at.”  Stephen Hawking

In a world where you can be anything, be kind .

Offline scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 08 February 07 22:31 GMT (UK) »
NI tourist board still have an entry for the B&B plus a good picture of the outside of the property.

""People who never look backward to their ancestors will never look forward to posterity." - Edmund Burke

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious and however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at.”  Stephen Hawking

Offline scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 08 February 07 22:35 GMT (UK) »
History from Headstones website have record of some Charters graves in Antrim. One is at Muckamore Graveyard.

Offline Lazarus

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 08 February 07 22:43 GMT (UK) »
Thank you scotsmum.
The gravestone at Muckamore is for my Charters family.
Rex
Wyatt and Wood of Glossop, Derbyshire. Longstaff of Bishop Auckland,Durham. Harry of St Austell and St Kew,Cornwall. Charters of County Antrim.Knight of Warwickshire.Hendy of Ballyedmonduff.

Offline scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 08 February 07 23:00 GMT (UK) »
Maybe you already have this, another gravestone index has an Anna Boomer Charters recorded as 1891 year of death and a James B. Charters in 1849.

Offline Lazarus

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 08 February 07 23:39 GMT (UK) »
Thanks again scotsmum.
I have James Boomer Charters bC1824 Belfast d8.1.1849 buried Clifton St Cemetery also Anna Boomer Charters bC1822 d14.7.1891 Scarborough.Burial unknown.She was unmarried and living Regents Park London.They were both children of John Charters and Mary H.Boomer.
There were other children.

Can you please find any record of Elizabeth Cunningham,first wife (mC1853) of my great grandfather Clarence Hooper Charters b5.9.1829 at "Glendona"?Unable to trace two children of first marriage,Thomas Cunningham Charters and George Cunningham Charters,both died pre 1878.

Your help is greatly appreciated.
Rex
Wyatt and Wood of Glossop, Derbyshire. Longstaff of Bishop Auckland,Durham. Harry of St Austell and St Kew,Cornwall. Charters of County Antrim.Knight of Warwickshire.Hendy of Ballyedmonduff.

Offline Bob2399

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 09 February 07 07:29 GMT (UK) »
NI tourist board still have an entry for the B&B plus a good picture of the outside of the property.

I went on a research trip to N. Ireland in Oct'05 and tried to book in there. they did not respond in any way to my enquiry???
Bob
McGrath; Charters; Fenner; O'Hara; Carleton; Sloan; Tobergill Street; Cambria Street; Ghent Street

Offline Lazarus

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Charters Family of Antrim
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 13 February 07 23:07 GMT (UK) »
Christopher has kindly offered to attend the library and try to assist with look ups etc.
I am researching my Charters ancestry.
I believe they may have lived "Glendona",Gobrana,County Antrim and efforts to discover gaps in my research have been unsuccessful.
My great grandfather who came to Australia was born 15 Jan.1829 Antrim.He married C1853 Elizabeth Cunningham and they had 4 children:
Mary Ann 1854,Thomas Cunningham Charters 1856 ?dpre 1878,George Cunningham Charters b 1857,Clarence Hooper Charters (Jnr) b 1859.Little is known about Thomas and George.
Apparently Elizabeth died as Clarence Hooper Charters (known as Hooper) married a second in Australia.

I believe the family home "Glendona" may still exist but I have not been able to contact the present day owners.

Several of the Charters family are buried in Muckamore Graveyard.

Any information regarding the Charters family greatly appreciated.
Rex

Offline Christopher

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
Re: Charters Family of Antrim
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 14 February 07 14:10 GMT (UK) »
Hello Rex,

I'm just off the phone to the owners of "Glendona House", Gobrana Road, Glenavy, Crumlin.
This property was built in 1906 replacing the older property named "Glendona"
There was an old wall but that's all that remains of the property occupied by the Charters family.

Chris