Author Topic: What type of fishing out of Filey?  (Read 2582 times)

Offline aggiebagwash

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
What type of fishing out of Filey?
« on: Wednesday 13 October 10 12:44 BST (UK) »
I'm tracing my husband's family and have found a 5 x great grandfather Michael Cook/e who was a mariner according to his daughter's marriage certificate. He isn't on the 1841 census so I presume he was at sea and he died before the 1851 census so I know little about him and can't trace his birthplace either in Heybridge where he married and had a family or Filey where he died.

His youngest child on the 1841 is only 3 and born in Heybridge, Essex so Michael had lived in Heybridge since his marriage there in 1821 and only recently moved to Filey Why would he move there? Was he the Michael Cooke son of Nathaniel and Ann who lived next door to his family on the 1841 or the Michael Cooke born circa 1800 Heybridge?.

His wife and family were all born in or around Heybridge, Essex so there has to be a link between the two ports and I wondered what type of mariner/fisherman he was and what his job would have been. Does anyone know how I could find him on any records that may possibly lead to any more information about him?

So many questions and so few answers to be found. I'm hoping someone can help me. Please.

Margaret  :)

Offline SteveJW

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: What type of fishing out of Filey?
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 14 October 10 20:41 BST (UK) »
Have a look at
http://www.scarboroughsmaritimeheritage.org.uk/photos1.php

http://www.scarboroughsmaritimeheritage.org.uk/afileyluggeryawl.php

Scarborough and Filey are usually spoken in the same breath

Looks like Herring fishing could be a possibility

Steve
Walford  Staffordshire,Yorkshire
Boyes     Beverley, Hull
Allison     Beverley, Hull
Bowser   East Yorkshire
Etherton Sussex

Offline aggiebagwash

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 14 October 10 20:45 BST (UK) »
Thanks Steve I'll have a look now.

Margaret

Offline aggiebagwash

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 15 October 10 11:53 BST (UK) »
Good grief Steve the links you sent me were amazing. I ended up staying up half the night reading them all. LOL

I now have a picture of what life was like for the fishermen and their families. Michael's daughter married into a local family her father-in-law was the village blacksmith and his son a butcher so I now have a more rounded picture of the family. Thank you so much for your help I really appreciate it.

Margaret  :)