Author Topic: BURROWS Which Couple is Most Likely to be Correct  (Read 2304 times)

Offline Slinger

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: BURROWS Which Couple is Most Likely to be Correct
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 10 July 12 14:12 BST (UK) »
Hi Buzz,
As I was not previously aware of his daughter's marriage I had a look at the PR entry.

Actually she married as Jane Burrows (though illiterate) not Jean and I also found her in the 1851 & 61 censuses as Jane.

So it looks like you were right all along.

It strengthens the case for William and Jane as William's parents.  Perhaps William named her Jane after his mother, but between his London accent and a Scottish minister who already knew a Jean in the family, it was recorded as Jean in the baptismal register.

Brian

Offline BUZZ

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 12 July 12 18:16 BST (UK) »
Hello Brian,

Yes her name was Jane not Jean, I was so pleased you had found William's parents and D-O-B I got confused.

Some time ago a descendant of Jane's informed me that before marrying John Brett she had born two children Jane 1839 (this Jane married under the name of Jessie) and Henry Archibald 1842 but they had not been registered under the name Brett or Burrows but it was thought to be Miller. Jane also gave birth to a daughter Millie in 1862 but John Brett had been transported to Australia in 1860 so the father of Millie was not known.

Buzz

Offline Slinger

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 13 July 12 13:40 BST (UK) »
Hi Buzz,
Thanks for more information on the family

As I had never found "Jean" on a census, I assumed she had died young.
I had come across Jane Brett as informant on the death cert of Rachel Burrows in 1859 but hadn't made the connection.

I had also seen a Jessie (Jesse?) Burrows, 12 yr old granddaughter with William & Rachel in the 1851 census, but assumed she was the daughter of John, though puzzled why she wasn't with them in 1841.

FYI,  my interest in this family is as a descendant of Rachel b 1862, daughter of Charles Burrows & Elizabeth Wardle.

Brian

Offline BUZZ

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 17 July 12 17:38 BST (UK) »
On Family Search there is a marriage between a William Bentley Burrows and Jane Buck, on the 21/9/1788 at St. Marys, Marylebone.

Buzz

Offline Slinger

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 18 July 12 11:36 BST (UK) »
It's an outside possibility.
It's a long gap between this marriage and birth of 2 children named after parents.   Might expect to find a string of older children named after grandparents, but nothing obvious on IGI
Brian

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad and Fireman at Kings Cross 13.7.1951
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 19 July 12 19:18 BST (UK) »
Remember that infant mortality was extremely high. It is not unusual for the first several children to be still born or lost before a live birth is eventually recorded.
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)