Author Topic: COMPLETED WITH THANKS! Electoral Rolls  (Read 2309 times)

Offline Squirrel69

• RootsChat Extra
  • One little squirrel can do alot
    • View Profile
COMPLETED WITH THANKS! Electoral Rolls
« on: Wednesday 13 October 10 16:33 BST (UK) »
Not sure if I have the right place for this question, so I am sorry if I have it in the wrong area. Is there an e-mail address, or a website where I can contact someone about the electoral rolls for Wallsend? I have an address or two I would like to look up, but I am not sure where I can start. The years would be from 1900 to about 1942. Thank you for any help anyone can give me.
Laybourn/Leybourne, Kearney, Wandlass, Stephenson, Chisholm, Dodson, Barkass, Forster, Wright, Martin, Hall<br /><br />Areas: Hartlepool, Southwick, Sunderland, Staindrop, and Stockton

Offline davidft

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Electoral Rolls
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 13 October 10 22:30 BST (UK) »
It looks like they have them at the Northumberland archives at Woodhorn

This is a link to their leaflet on the subject.

http://www.experiencewoodhorn.com/file/uploaded/Collections%20User%20Guides/ELECTORAL%20REGISTERS.pdf

If that is what you are after there are contact details on the site. Whilst they will probably do a search for you it is likely to be a paid search.

It is unlikely libraries or the Council will have the electoral registers this far back

Contact details for the archives
Northumberland Archives Service
Woodhorn
QEII Country Park
Ashington
Northumberland
NE63 9YF
Tel: 01670 528080
Fax: 01670 528083
E-mail collections@woodhorn.org.uk

or if it is easier the British Library in London have copies of most historic electoral rolls
James Stott c1775-1850. James was born in Yorkshire but where? He was a stonemason and married Elizabeth Archer (nee Nicholson) in 1794 at Ripon. They lived thereafter in Masham. If anyone has any suggestions or leads as to his birthplace I would be interested to know. I have searched for it for years without success. Thank you.

Offline Squirrel69

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 13 October 10 23:51 BST (UK) »
Thank you for your help davidft! I am off to see what they can help me with!
Laybourn/Leybourne, Kearney, Wandlass, Stephenson, Chisholm, Dodson, Barkass, Forster, Wright, Martin, Hall<br /><br />Areas: Hartlepool, Southwick, Sunderland, Staindrop, and Stockton

Offline Michael Dixon

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 14 October 10 23:24 BST (UK) »

Between them, the libraries of Newcastle and North Shields will hold Electoral Rolls/Registers from 1800s to modern times, covering from Newcastle to Tynemouth.

In Newcastle library there is shelf after shelf of them. Very easy to access, but very difficult to find.

There are mainly in Town>Ward>Street>House Number Order. Not Surname order. So if you don't know the Ward and/or Street name it is like needle in haystack business.  With an address ( and a year and knowledge of the particular voting ward) then there is good chance of finding and tracking folkthrough the years - as long as they were elligible to vote in Parliamentary or local elections.

But if they move out of that address, then finding them again will be difficult, without specific knowledge of whereabouts.

As Davidft said, archives are not going to search for folk, without charging fees.

Northumberland County Record Office (Woodhorn) will have ERs for the county, but I think they will not hold more modern ERS, but libraries will.

Even my birth-town library at Blyth has ERs for the area. And in modern times the ERs are usually in Surname order.

Suggestion. Try your luck on this message board. Give the specifics (ie folks' names and addresses and years) and request a look-up. You might be lucky.

Michael
Newcastle

Names.

GALLAGHER ( + variations).
Areas. Co Sligo, Co Leitrim, Co Mayo. IRELAND.
Ontario, CANADA
Lowell, Ma, USA
Counties of Northumberland & Durham, ENGLAND
-------------------------------------------------------------------
MALEY/MELIA/MALLEY  - with or without " O "
Westport Co Mayo. Northumberland
-------------------------------------------------------------------
DIXON
Cumberland.. Brampton, Carlisle, ENGLAND

Census information is Crown Copyright. from www.nationalarchives.

Offline Squirrel69

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 15 October 10 03:12 BST (UK) »
Thank you for your help Michael. I think I will try my luck on the board. I cannot travel to any of these libraries, seeing as I am in the States, so asking for help is the best bet. I will start a new post and put the addresses I have on it. Thanks to everyone for their great help!