Author Topic: Anyone got this book The WOHLING saga: the story of the one family's part in the  (Read 5202 times)

Offline stevenroyals

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Hi

Has anyone got the book 'The Wohling saga: the story of the one family's part in the colonization of South Australia and beyond'?

I'm having trouble getting a copy of it. I'm not sure if it will be of any help to me or not but I'm looking for information about Ethel May WOHLING and any possible children she may have had. Ethel died in 1976.

Thanks
Steve

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone got this book The WOHLING saga: the story of the one family's part in the
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 14 October 10 07:41 BST (UK) »
Hi Steve,

http://catalogue.nla.gov.au/Record/263239 ... seems a copy is in the National Library in Canberra ...  it was written in abt 1982, and has an index

Cheers,  JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone got this book The WOHLING saga: the story of the one family's part in the
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 14 October 10 08:13 BST (UK) »
Have you approached the State Library of SA or SAGHS on Unley Road.

Steve try google

Cheers
Cando
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline stevenroyals

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 14 October 10 08:16 BST (UK) »
I live in Port Augusta so the Canberra library is a bit far to go and I don't visit Adelaide all that often.

I just thought if someone happened to have the book they could look in it for me.

I think most of the book is about the family coming to Australia and the early years rather than about the more recent members of the family.

Steve

Offline Essie

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 14 October 10 10:10 BST (UK) »
Hi Steve

Only two children recorded for Ethel May nee ROYALS.  Her husband died in 1926 after nine years of marriage.

(*)

William Charles Frederick WOHLING died 5 Aug 1926 aged 46
Residence & Death place was Mile End
District Hindmarsh / Book: 488 / Page: 582

Charles Frederick William WOHLING aged 34 and single & Ethel May ROYALS aged 27 and single.
Fathers: Frederich Gustav Rudolph WOHLING, and Henry ROYALS.
Date: 20 Jun 1917 at Res of Albert Roser at Terowie
District: Bur / Book/Page: 271/943

Essie

(*) Moderator Comment:
Edited in accordance with RootsChat policy of not publishing details of living people here, or details of people who may still be living. This is to protect all concerned from spam, identity abuse, internet abuse, etc, etc.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

Offline stevenroyals

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 14 October 10 10:28 BST (UK) »
Thanks for your help Essie

I'm not sure if William Charles Frederick WOHLING who died 5 Aug 1926 aged 46 is the same person. I have found the buriel details for Charles Frederick William WOHLING at Centenial Park cemetery who was 72 years. I don't know what year.

I am hoping that the book I have enquired about will tell me who the children of William Keith WOHLING  and Kathleen Annie WOHLING are so that I can contact them or contact someone who knows them.

Perhaps they helped write the book in question or at least provided some information.

Thanks
Steve

Offline Essie

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 14 October 10 10:37 BST (UK) »
Steve,  I just discovered two births to the same parents with two sons recorded with the same names - Charles Frederick William!  One born 1880 and the other in 1883. So the death I posted appears to be the older brother who married Annie SCOTT.

This is the younger brother!
Charles Frederick William WOHLING died 2 May 1955 aged 72
Lived at  Fullarton but died in Hospital  Adelaide
District Code: Ade / Book: 825 / Page: 2379

Essie

Offline stevenroyals

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 14 October 10 10:47 BST (UK) »
Thanks for your help. I see that both brothers married women named Annie.

Thanks
Steve

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 14 October 10 23:00 BST (UK) »
Steve hopefully SLSA have the publication and it is indexed. I would suggest you contact them and request a lookup.  I live in rural Aus and have found the SLSA and SLV always helpful.

http://www.slsa.sa.gov.au/site/page.cfm?u=387

Good luck.

Cheers
Cando
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk