Author Topic: Robert Wright - Unknown burials.  (Read 3434 times)

Offline Bobthecofi

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Robert Wright - Unknown burials.
« on: Thursday 14 October 10 14:58 BST (UK) »
I'm trying to locate the grave of my grandfather Robert Wright who drowned at sea off Holyhead on 7th December 1932. The family tale down the years is that he was washed up in the Port of Erin and unofficially identified by his tattoos. My grandmother could not afford to bring his body home so he was buried in that area somewhere, presumably as an unknown, as he hadn't officially been identified. What I'm trying to do is get confirmation from the island's records of any unknown bodies washed up from the end of 1932 and 1933, and also would they have recorded any tattoos, distinguishing marks etc. A visit to the records office would be ideal, but not very practical for me living in Devon. Are there any records of unidentified bodies in the Isle of Man available online? Not knowing what the tides and weather were like who knows how long it would have taken for a body to reach the IOM from Holyhead?
Any offers of help or information would be greatly appreciated.
Bob

Wright - Holyhead

Offline Voirrey M

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Robert Wright - Unknown burials.
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 28 October 10 12:54 BST (UK) »
A   male  body  30---40  years old  was  found  on   Spaldrick Beach  below  Bradda  Glen  at  the  northern  end  of  Port  Erin  Bay-----on  3rd  Feb.  1933.  He  had  obviously  been  in  the  water  some
time as  it  was  not  possible   to  state  accurately  the  cause  of death. An  inquest  was  held  on  the
6th  at  Castletown &  he  is  recorded  in the  unknown  index[  there  are  surprisingly  few  entries ]
If  tattoos   had  been  still  visible  I  think  they  would  have  noted  them.   Death  cert ----Rushen page
485  entry  361.He  will  presumably  been  buried  in   Rushen  Parish  churchyard but  I  cannot  see
the  entry  as  the   Museum  Library  only  has  the  Burial  register  for  this  church  up to  1927.
The  Vicar  is  still using  the  next  one---1928  ++++
Does  the  apparent  age  fit  your  grandfather  ?

Offline Bobthecofi

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 28 October 10 23:35 BST (UK) »
Hi Voirrey M

Many thanks for the information, it's exactly the kind of thing my family and I have been hoping to discover. The age fits as my grandfather was 38 years old when he drowned. I had made enquiries several times with the senior registrar at the Registries building but was told that the only unknown during that period was an infant child. I just had a gut feeling that this wasn't right.
Am I right in thinking that you have seen the inquest report and that you know there were no tattoos on the body. Is it worth me contacting the coroner's office in Douglas? Do you have any details for the Rushen parish vicar? Is page 485 entry 316 the reference from the register that the vicar still has?  Sorry about all the questions, but having never been over in the Isle of Man I know nothing about the area. Once again many thanks for taking the time to help us. It's much appreciated. It certainly looks promising.
Regards
Bob
Wright - Holyhead

Offline Voirrey M

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 29 October 10 19:42 BST (UK) »
Bob     I   looked   up   the   Unknown   Deaths   File  which  is   on  open  shelving  in  The  Registry.  Found   the  record  of  Male  etc  Spaldrick  Beach  etc  &  the  REFS   I  have  given  you  which  are  the
death  registration  nothing  to  do  with  burials. Looked  them  up   &  saw  the  Register.  Details  from
the  death  cert.  I  have  given  you.  I  did  not  go  to  see  to   Courthouse /buildings  to  see   if Inquest
papers  still  exist  or  look  at  local  paper  for  the  week  after  event , available  on  film  in  MNH  /Museum  Library  [my  eyes  do  not  like  the  small  print] You  could  write  &  ask  as  a special favour if
they  would look for  you but they'll probably say " employ  a  Professional researcher"[there are  VERY few
here]  .You   could  as  I  suggested  write  to  Vicar  of  Rushen  &  ask  if  they  had  a burial for that week  &  what did entry say---church still  using  that  register. Voirrey