Author Topic: Margaret McCRINK/Bernard DORAN  (Read 11157 times)

Offline aislingmcd

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Margaret McCRINK/Bernard DORAN
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 09 July 15 14:54 BST (UK) »
Hi everyone,

I've just joined Roots.com as I am researching my family tree on my fathers side. 

I noticed your posting about McCrinks and Dorans and thought you might be able to help me.

I have no living relatives on my father's side left in Ireland that I know of (other than my immediate family).  He was a McDermott, from Kilkeel, Co Down. I have no one to ask for further information about my grandmother who was a Doran, but I believe she was born to a Catherine McCrink.  My father knew very little about his mother's family as she died when he was a few weeks old and his father raised him and his sister in Kilkeel.  My dad's father died in 1970 (before I was born) and my dad's only sibling - a sister - died in the late 1980s. 

Although my own mother is still alive, she knows very little about my dad's mother's family other than that her maiden name (before marrying my grandfather) was Mary Doran, and that she lived in Killowen, County Down, and died in January 1929.   She's buried in our McDermott family grave in Kilkeel.  Although his mother's family had lived in Killowen, my dad didn't recall meeting them as a child, but as an adult he visited his late mother's sister in the late 1950s or early 1960s in Dublin, but she too has since passed away since, some time in the 1970s or 80s.  She was unmarried and had no children.

Having checked the 1901 and 1911 Census I believe that I have found my grandmother listed as Minnie Doran aged 7 in 1901, and as Mary Doran aged 17 in 1911, living in a house in Tamnyveagh, Killowen, County Down.   That would put her date of birth as circa 1894, but it could be a year either side as as I don't know what month she was born.

Looking at the 1901 census, Mary Doran (my dad's mum) lived with her mother Catherine Doran aged 38 in 1901 (so born circa 1863) , and Catherine's other children - Mary's sibling's - Annie aged 12, born circa 1897, Willie (who is recorded as William J. in 1911) born circa 1891, and Catherine aged 4 (listed as Catherine Josephine in 1911) born circa 1897.  One of the two sisters must be the aunt that my dad visited in Dublin but I don't know which.

Also recorded as living at  the same address in Tamnyveagh, Killowen in 1901 was Catherine senior's own mother Margret (probably a misspelling of Margaret) McCrink aged 74 (born circa 1827) - who no longer resides there in 1911, so I assume she died in the interim -and Margret's son John McCrink aged 32 in 1901 (born circa 1869).  John would have been my father's great uncle. His name appears as McCunk rather than McCrink in the 1911 census, but this is possibly due to the form-filler's handwriting, or a data input error when the forms were digitised.  Margret McCrink (born circa 1827) would have been my father's great grandmother, and as Catherine Doran was listed on the census for both years as a widow living with her brother and mother in 1901,in a house where her mother was the head of house in 1901, and her brother was head of household in 1911 (when her mother is no longer listed),  I think it's safe to assume that Mary Doran's mother Catherine and been born Catherine McCrink circa 1863, who later married a Doran.  Catherine's husband must have died before the 1901 Census as she was listed as a widow then, as well as in 1911.  I think it most likely that Catherine McCrink married a Doran anywhere between 1879 (aged 16) and 1888 (as Annie was circa 1889).

Unfortunately due to a lack of Census records other than Down 1901 and 1911 I am at a dead end.

If you or anyone else out there could give me any further information about these McCrinks or these Dorans who had lived in Tamnyveagh, Killowen, I would be really grateful as I would love to find out more about them. 

I also noticed that one of the posters who replied to the original post about a Margaret McCrink (not my Margaret though as the dates are different) had a number of sources and knew a lot about that family, so he or she might be able to point me in the right direction, but being new to Roots.Com I don't know how to contact a specific poster.  Can anyone advise on this too?

Offline kingskerswell

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 09 July 15 15:53 BST (UK) »
Hi,
   Welcome to Rootschat. Hope that this helps. On 31 Jan 1888 Peter Doran married Catherine McCrink in Rostrevor  Roman Catholic Church, Kilkeel District. The fathers' names were William Doran and John mcCrink.
    See also:- http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~rosdavies/SURNAMES/Afrontpage.htm
for possible McCrink relatives.
Regards
Stewart, Irwin, Morrison, Haslett, Murrell - Dungiven area Co. Londonderry
Browne, Barrett -Co.Armagh
Neil, Smyth _Co. Antrim

Offline aislingmcd

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 10 July 15 13:20 BST (UK) »
Thanks Kingskerswell.
That's definitely a great help.

I'll try to do some more digging into the Dorans and McCrinks of Killowen

Offline BallyaltikilliganG

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 10 July 15 20:52 BST (UK) »
Trying to extend the most helpful answers you already have, heres my contribution
1834  Kilbroney Homesteads
from http://www.irishgenealogyhub.com/down/tithe-applotment-books/kilbroney-parish.php#.VaAT30uDoYU
Rearranged by Townland
Doran, Owen   Townland: Ballaghally Year: 1834
McCrink, Jas.   Townland: Ballinran Year: 1834
McCrink, Jno.   Townland: Ballinran Year: 1834
Doran, Jas.      Townland: Ballintur Year: 1834
Doran, Willm.   Townland: Ballintur Year: 1834
Doran, Barny   Townland: Ballymoney Year: 1834
Doran, Pat.      Townland: Drumreagh Year: 1834
Doran, Peter   Townland: Drumreagh Year: 1834
Doran, Widow    Townland: Moygannon Year: 1834
Doran, Jno.      Townland: Newtown Year: 1834
McCrink, Arth.   Townland: Tomnaveagh Year: 1834
You can se http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~rosdavies/MAPS/KilbroneyTownlands.htm to start plotting all the townlands if you don’t know them and for the homesteads below.

1863 Kilbroney Homesteads
http://www.failteromhat.com/griffiths/down/kilbroney.php
Mc Rink, James                  Ballinran          Kilbroney Map Ref 13;11
Doran, James   Ballintur   Kilbroney Map Ref 29;23
Doran, William   Ballintur   Kilbroney Map Ref 20
Doran, Bernard   Ballymoney   Kilbroney Map Ref 12
Doran, Patrick   Drumreagh   Kilbroney Map Ref 29
Doran, Rose   Drumreagh   Kilbroney Map Ref 25
Doran, Bernard   Newtown   Kilbroney Map Ref 7
Mc Rink, John                  Tamnyveagh   Kilbroney Map Ref 6   
Each of these have a map reference which I have abstracted for you from
http://www.askaboutireland.ie/griffith-valuation/ If you also look each upon
this website you will get a description of the property, The two together and you are getting a glimpse of what the property was like. Once seen on the map supplied one can go looking with google satellite views to see what the topography was like, some of the buildings might be still there. Its fun

If you have searched the Ros Davies websitethe connections between generations start to show if you are lucky.

because Ros Davies uses the civil parish name you can abstract all the relevant names living in or connected to Kibroney Civil Parish. Fortunately the Catholic parish looks very similar to the civil parish

However that’s not all you will be doing, the slow parts will be finding church registers

apart from them
UHF see http://www.ancestryireland.com
has a marriage MCRINK   EDWARD   1851      Down 
for McCrink spelling
Irish Birth/Baptism Records – Co. Antrim & Co. Down   56 results
Pay-Per-View Irish Marriage Records – Co. Antrim & Co. Down   65 results
Pay-Per-View Irish Death/Burial Records – Co. Antrim & Co. Down   3 results
Pay-Per-View Northern Irish Gravestone Inscriptions   3 results
now you could look up the Dorans

Try https://www.emeraldancestors.com they have 1 McCrick birth
then for mcCrink spelling
Marriages   57   view details
Births   30   view details
Census   5   view details
Church Census   0   view details
Deaths   8   view details
now you could look up the Dorans

Then theres www.familysearch.org for all names and variants
PRONI has most records, try their ecatalogue amongst all others databases.
Good luck JimG
Gracey Gracie Gracy Grassy Greacy
worldwide

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 10 July 15 21:13 BST (UK) »
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline BallyaltikilliganG

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 11 July 15 07:43 BST (UK) »
Hi Hallmark, this new website http://registers.nli.ie is staggering. I was excited opening it, realizing it had finally arrived, the excitement diminishing a little as the realism hit me of having to read handwriting. I enlarged it with the + sign and within a minute was getting used to scanning handwriting, so its going to be torturous work, but exciting.

I added the source it to my bookmarks as Catholic Records next.

Hi craftyannie I went back to searching for Doran and McCrink, McRink etc attempting to deciphering handwriting as quickly as possible.  I noticed the parish was given for a Spouse if they were not from Kilbroney cropping up, that’s useful
I searched for ten minutes, its very hard work. I nearly gave up, but then I think I found an entry thats inserted in smaller handwriting than usual

[Page] 74 1825 May 5  John McRink was married to Mary Kean ? in the presence of Sarah Monaghan? and Birt ?Bean?
and then
[Page] 76 1828 Jan 12  Owen Doran was married to Ann Burns in the presence of Luke Ferran and Mary Hinds 

there I stopped, feeling its possible 
The NLI is to be congratulated as major step forward in making such a big record for free use by us all.
thanks again Hallmark
All Good Luck to the searchers
JimG
Gracey Gracie Gracy Grassy Greacy
worldwide

Offline murney

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 10 August 15 14:31 BST (UK) »
Hi Aisling

I have a Doran database for Kilbroney parish and I noticed in Kingskerswell's post that Peter Doran (who married Catherine McCrink)'s father was William Doran.  There was only one William Doran living in Kilbroney parish (Killowen sub parish) who had children and is most likely to be Peter's father especially since he had a son called Peter.  Here is what I have on this family :

William Doran married Ann Sloan in Kilbroney parish on 13 May 1839.    Witnesses : Capt. O’Neill, Peter Sloan.  The O'Neills, Sloans and Dorans were all neighbours.

Here are William and Ann's children :
Baptismal Date   Child        Parents                              Sponsors
15 Apr 1840   Bridgit   William Doran, Anne Sloan,   John Sloan, Bridget Doran
19 Dec 1841   Anne   William Doran, Anne Sloan,   Henry Sloan, Mary Sloan
23 Jan 1844   Jane   William Doran, Anne Sloan,   David Sloan, Bridget Kielty
28 Jun 1846   William   William Doran Jnr, Anne Sloan,   Peter Sloan, Ann Sloan
19 Jan 1849   Rose      William Doran, Anne Sloan,   William Sloan, Alice Sloan
1851   Mary   William Doran, Anne Sloan,   Patrick McGiveran, Catherine Doran
10 Nov 1854   Catherine   William Doran, Anne Slone,   William Slone, Rose Brennan
24 Feb 1858   Peter   William Doran, Anne Sloan,   Charles Sloan, Ann Doran
13 Mar 1862   Alicia   William Doran, Anne Sloan,   Michael and Ellen Sloan

There is a death for a Peter Sloan on GRONI website, died 11 May 1899, aged 40, which would fit with the Peter above.   

Also, I had transcribed this gravestone for this family :

Gravestone in Kilbroney graveyard
In loving memory of my dear mother Ann Doran of Killowen who died 20th December 1890
Also my affectionate brother Peter, who died 11th May 1899 and my dear father, William Doran who died 5th August 1901
Also Catherine who died 12th August 1918, William J Doran, 4th January 1943 and of Alicia Maher, 21st July 1948
Also Catherine Doran 19th August 1957

The Catherine who died in 1918 was aged 55 (b. 1863), is Catherine McCrink Doran.  Peter's sister Catherine's married name was Dunn.  You can get the death certs for both these people from www.geni.nidirect.gov.uk   It is a pay per view website but well worth it.

William Doran lived in Ballintur townland in Killowen sub parish and leased 24 acres from the Earl of Kilmorey - he was seen as a well to do tenant farmer in that area.  The family farm was bought from the Kilmorey estate by William's eldest son William in 1913.  Here they are in 1901 : http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Down/Killowen/Ballintur/1236792/

The only one left on the farm in 1911 is Mary.

Here is William Doran's will -  you will note that he bequeaths £100 to his daughter in law Catherine Doran from Tamnavey   http://apps.proni.gov.uk/DCAL_PRONI_WillsCalendar_IE/WillsSearchImage.aspx?id=233342

William and Ann Sloan Doran's daughter Rose married James Murney from Ballincurry (a neighbouring townland) in 1885, had one daughter Rose Murney in 1889.  She died in 1929.  For some strange reason, she was left out of her father's will.

Hope this helps with your research.