Author Topic: Family of Slatter Crest  (Read 2162 times)

Offline genealogistsykes

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Family of Slatter Crest
« on: Friday 15 October 10 14:54 BST (UK) »
where would i try and find the Family of Slatter Crest (Warwickshire) ????

Offline Dundee

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Family of Slatter Crest
« Reply #1 on: Friday 15 October 10 15:35 BST (UK) »
Hi There,

A crest is part of a coat of arms which is granted to one person and his legitimate male descendants.  If you have someone in your family who you know was granted a coat of arms then the College of Arms might be able to help you. http://www.college-of-arms.gov.uk/Faq.htm

Debra  :)

Offline genealogistsykes

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 15 October 10 15:36 BST (UK) »
thanks very much. But this isn't my family it's my friends and i want to try and find there Family Crest but i don't know where to start ha :)

Offline behindthefrogs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • EDLIN
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 15 October 10 16:01 BST (UK) »
There is no such thing as a family crest.  Coats of Arms belong to individuals and are inherited by their male heirs.

A crest is what sits on top of the helmet in a coat of arms although some commercial sites insist on calling the coats of arms, crests.

There is  a large commercial market selling these based on matching a surname with a particular coat of arms.  Different sites will give you a different match for a particular surname and if they don't have a match will make one up based on the nearest sounding name.  All they are interested in is selling you various items of bric a brac decorated with these coats of arms.

Just google "crests" and take your pick.  There is nothing to recommend any of them.
Living in Berkshire from Northampton & Milton Keynes
DETAILS OF MY NAMES ARE IN SURNAME INTERESTS, LINK AT FOOT OF PAGE
Wilson, Higgs, Buswell, PARCELL, Matthews, TAMKIN, Seckington, Pates, Coupland, Webb, Arthur, MAYNARD, Caves, Norman, Winch, Culverhouse, Drakeley.
Johnson, Routledge, SHIRT, SAICH, Mills, SAUNDERS, EDLIN, Perry, Vickers, Pakeman, Griffiths, Marston, Turner, Child, Sheen, Gray, Woolhouse, Stevens, Batchelor
Census Info is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk