Author Topic: Stokoe Of Northumberland  (Read 24854 times)

Offline 2zpool

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Stokoe Of Northumberland
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 15 February 11 17:33 GMT (UK) »
1841 census
HO107/313/11 folio 27 page 30
Coxhoe
James Stoke(sic), 25, Joiner, Y
Ann Stoke, 25, N
James Stoke, 6, N
John Stoke, 4, N
Jane Stoke, 2, N

Ages rounded down also Y--born in Co. Durham, N-not born in Co. Durham

1851 census
HO107/2392 folio 358 page 37
Haswell, South Hetton

James Stokoe, Head, Mar, 37, Enginewright, Durham Shincliffe
Ann Stokoe, Wife, Mar 36, Yorkshire Skipton
James Stokoe, Son, Unm, 16, Coal Miner, Yorkshire Skipton
John Stokeo, Son, 14, Scholar, Yorkshire Skipton
Jane Stokoe, Daur, 12, Yorkshire Skipton
Ann Elizabeth Stokoe, daur, 6, Scholar, Durham Cornforth
Henry Stokoe, Son, 3, Durham Coxhoe
Treza Stokoe, Daur, 1, Durham South Hetton

Baptisms:

Shincliffe St. Mary the Virgin, James Stokoe bapt 27 Dec 1835, born 6 Mar[1835] Skipton Yorkshire to James and Ann Stokoe, joiner, received into church

South Hetton Holy Trinity baptisms: Ann Elizabeth and Henry baptised 13 Sept 1848 children of James and Ann Stokoe, Joiner

12 Dec 1849 Theresa Stokoe daur of James and Ann Stokoe

Kelloe St. Helen:  Richard Stokoe of Coxhoe, Oxclose, baptised 26 Aug 1843 4th son of James Stokoe, Joiner and wife Ann Hird. (died 1843 Cornforth Mill)

I couldn't find a baptism of James, sr, in Shincliffe or Durham St. Oswald  but I will look around to adjoining parishes. 

Jas is the abbreviation for James

You might do better taking your question to the Durham board as that was where your family was from.

You need a laptop and do lunch in McD's--free WiFi

Janis
not far in Wisconsin
Co. Durham:  Hall, Snowdon, Makepeace, Barnfather, Barrass, Gray/Grey, Wilson, Carr, Cole, Richardson, Greener, Lamb
Northumberland:  Grey/Gray, Richardson, Barnfather, Heron, Redpath
------------------------------------------------------------------
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline dwalin

• RootsChat Veteran
  • looking into the past.lets you see the future
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 16 February 11 12:34 GMT (UK) »
hi i have a

john stokoe born 1780 in hexham(he was a carter)
m
ann smith born 1785 in hexham

they had(that i know of now)

ann born 1819 in whitly by hexham?

margaret born 1821

hannah stokoe 1830 born hexham she married jacob johnson
im decended from hannah and jacob.

there does seem to of been a lot of the family around
harris , penrose,jose.davison.layton.leighton.summerson.bennet.clasper.wallett.cadwallader.johnson.jobling.bell (cook?)      />craig.stokoe.marshall.chalmers.white.bainbridge.waite.trevena.trenwith.polkinghorn.dixon.jopling.powell.ivey.greenhow
lloyd

Offline DavidStokoe11

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 01 March 11 14:56 GMT (UK) »
Janis, thank you for the 1841 census info, and the info on Robert Stokoe i did not know of him. This is an obit from Canton Illinois of Jane Stokoe Brown, it tells the story of the familys migration to Farmington Illinois.

REF: Canton Daily Ledger, Saturday Sept. 2, 1933 Pg-1
 DEATH TAKES OLD CANTON RESIDENT
 Canton lost one of its oldest residents yesterday afternoon with the death at 1 o'clock of Mrs. Jane Brown, 94 who died at her home 656 East Elm St., where she had lived for the past 60 years. Death was attributed to complications arising from old age. She was ill two weeks.
 The last of a family of 12 children, Mrs. Brown also out lived her husband and their 5 children. She is survived by a grandson, Harry of California, and by several nephews and a niece in Farmington.
 On July 22, 1880, she was among those who heard Fulton County's first pipe organ dedicated in the Congregrational Church. Mrs. Brown joined the Baptist church 60 years ago, was a member of the Dorcas class, and attended services regulary until 5 years ago.
Mrs. Brown was the third of 12 children, was born March 14, 1839 in Yorkshire, England. Her mother, the youngest in a family of 16 children, was Miss Anne Elizabeth Herd, before her marriage to James Stokoe.
                         Trip on the Canal Boat
 In the fall of 1852, Mr and Mrs. Stokoe, their daughter Jane and six younger brothers and sisters sailed from South Eaton, England, to New York City. Their sailing vessel made the crossing in 21 days, a record at that time. Arriving in New York in October, the family later went to Chicago and boarded a canal boat for Peoria. At Peoria, a covered wagon and horses were purchased for the laborious overland journey to Farmington, the home of Mr. Stokoes sister and brother-in-law.
 On June 24, 1864, in Farmington, the marriage of Jane Stokoe and James W. Brown was solemnized. In the following February the couple came to Canton. For several years Mr. Brown was employed at the P&O shop, then only a small structure covering part of one block. He died in 1874, leaving her with 5 children.
 Funeral services will be held at 2 o'clock Monday afternoon at the Murphy Memorial Home, with the Dr. E. A. Gilmore in charge. Burial will be in Greenwood Cemetery. friends may call at Murphy's.

Offline 2zpool

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 01 March 11 17:46 GMT (UK) »
Dwalin

Whitley Chapel to St. Helen:

Ann Stokoe baptised 7 Feb 1819 d/o John and Ann
Margaret Stokoe baptised 29 Jul 1821 d/o John and Ann
Hannah Stokoe baptised 29 Mar 1829 d/o John and Hannah (probably Ann)

I didn't see any more nor find any burials of children from 1821 to 1829.  It is a rather large gap between kids.

Janis
Co. Durham:  Hall, Snowdon, Makepeace, Barnfather, Barrass, Gray/Grey, Wilson, Carr, Cole, Richardson, Greener, Lamb
Northumberland:  Grey/Gray, Richardson, Barnfather, Heron, Redpath
------------------------------------------------------------------
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline granbinnie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Friday 22 April 11 10:25 BST (UK) »
Hi

I am also looking for Stokes of Hexham.
Especially William Stokoe & Hannah Harrison who m 1740 in Hexham.
Their children
James of Ferryhill b 1745, Thomas b 1758 b Corbridge, Hannah b 1759, Ralph b 1762, Robert and Wm b 1767

Julienne

Offline Itsallaboutfamily

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Sunday 02 October 11 09:16 BST (UK) »
Hi Brenda,
Margaret J Stokoe was my great great great great grandmother.  I have a little bit of info on her if you are still interested.
She was from Hexham, Northumberland, England.  Her father was William Stokoe.  She married George Burdess.  They had Anthony Burdess who married Hannah Davison.  They had a son George Burdess.  Not sure who George married but he went on to have a son Anthony who married Mary Logan from Scotland.  They changed Burdess to Bourdess and moved to Pennsylvania.  Are you kin? 

Sarah

Offline Racing Girl

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Tuesday 04 October 11 14:09 BST (UK) »
Hello All-
Firstly, what a lot of Stokoes there are around the Hexham area!!  If we can all get back early enough we'll likely find we're all related to each other.  This definitely seems to be a locative surname at one point in time.

Sarah - George Burdess and Margaret Stokoe are my direct ancestors through their son George born in 1797.  But we do have differences in our info:

Margaret Stokoe's father is listed as Thomas Stokoe on the christening record of her daughter Elizabeth (Betty) in 1809.  I have another contact who insists her father is William but has no proof, do you have any?  I'd love to know for sure.

I have Anthony Burdess listed as marrying Dorothy Nesham in Houghton le Spring on 15 Feb 1819.  Interestingly one of the witnesses was a William Davison.  Anthony started out as a coal miner, but by the 1861 census was a grocer and beer seller then a licensed victualler.  Does this part match with what you have?  I also don't have a son called George listed for them.

I do have other Burdess children emigrating to the US, initially to Pennsylvania (did they join your family there?) before settling in Ohio.

I'm very, very interested to find out more and swap info with you, I'll send you a pm with my email address.

Regards,
Brenda

Durham/NBL - Cummin(g)s, Stokoe, Burdess, Embleton, Stirrup, Bewick, Doney, Lumsdon, Laws, Bloomfield, Hunter, Henderson, Mosman
Lancashire - Stirrup, Molyneux, Rudd, Golding
Cambs - Palmer, Butler, Levitt, Golding, Skeel,  Howard, Hancock, Bowers, Norton, Colman, Peachey, Crane
Surrey - Palmer
Berks - Cruttwell, Bunce, Batten
IOW - Roach, Robinson
Cornwall - Doney, Gumb, Goyne
S Wales - Thomas, Dickinson (via Cumbria)
Coastguard Families: Clark, Fuller, Grant

Offline Phodgetts

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Thursday 06 October 11 17:20 BST (UK) »
Some information in one of my antique books on Northumberland.

'Northumberland its history, its features and its people'  author Rev. James Christie published 1893.

On pg 147 of the book under the heading "Sally The Mugger" Christie mentions one James Stokoe who was born near Capheaton and Stokoe is described as a typical Northumbrian both in physique and utterance.

Stokoe also gave Christie some information about the pitmen of the area. James said;

"When I was a young man I used to go mowing in summer from one place to another, and on one occasion I stayed with an old woman at Greenside whose husband was a pitman."

Later he said, "I have seen the pitmen coming home from the toon (Newcastle) in their double horse carriages on Saturday nights" and this reference was dated to the 70s, by which that will have meant the 1870s.

Stokoe surname info;

http://www.surnamedb.com/Surname/Stokoe

http://www.houseofnames.com/stokoe-family-crest

Philip
Northumberland; Johnson, Johnston, Dodds, Rutherford, Gray, Kennedy, Wilson, Sanderson, Davidson and other Border Marauders as they are discovered on this journey.
Berkshire; Knight, Bristor, Sharpe, Sharp, Ashley.
Suffolk / Essex; Perce, Pearce, Pearse, Pierce, Hayes.
Midlands; Hodgetts, Parker, Easthope.

Offline joultram

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Tuesday 09 December 14 13:10 GMT (UK) »
I collect and offer for sale Victorian/Edwardian memorabilia and have come across a postcard which may be of value to you in your research;

The postcard belongs to Miss Violet Stokoe, born around 1898.

The postcard can be viewed  at http://www.theheritagemine.com/d.aspx/$item-details/Miss-Violet-Stokoe?itemID=94

I have researched the postcard and found the following connections which, I believe, may be associated with your ancestor.

The postcard was addressed to:

Miss  Violet Stokoe
Woodhead farm
Hedley
Stocksfield-on-Tyne
Northumberland
UK

My research revealed the following information;

Card in poor condition. Tear to one side. Stamp removed.

In the 1901 census Edward Stokoe (46, Traction Engine driver) was living in Village Street Hedley with wife Martha(30) and children Violet, 4 and Thomas, 3 weeks old.

1911 Census:
1911 census details removed

Hope this helps.
Oultram, Douglas, Atherton, Nulty, Perry