Author Topic: 1841 Census - Marchant - COMPLETED - Thanks  (Read 2784 times)

Offline Scottiedog

• RootsChat Senior
  • Grandma
    • View Profile
1841 Census - Marchant - COMPLETED - Thanks
« on: Saturday 16 October 10 14:21 BST (UK) »
Hi

My 3rd great-grandfather was John Marchant, Governor of the  Debtor's Prison, Halifax.

In 1841 census, he's not with therest of his family at the prison. When I had access to census, I never managed to find him, but it has recently been suggested that he was an enumerator of the census. I wonder if anyone could confirm this for me from the census documents.

In 1841, the place was known as the Gaol for the Court of Requests, Halifax. It was in Hanson Lane. Presumably, that's the most likely district for him to have been the enumerator for.

Thanks in advance,
Les
Scott (Dublin, Merseyside)
Booth,Houlden,Jarvis,Kenyon,Paver,Wigglesworth (Yorkshire)
Attwater,Crawshaw,Houlden,Lord,Lowe (Lancashire)

Offline Isobelruss

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: 1841 Census - Marchant
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 16 October 10 15:26 BST (UK) »
Yes he is there as enumerator 7 June 1841 John Marchant(gaol keeper)
HO107 1300/12 page 6
Ive managed to save image for you if youd like to have his signature.Youll have to PM me with your email address
Russells in Westmorland,Lancashire<br />Rileys Halifax,Rochdale<br />Graingers Hull Yorks<br />Coles Northampton<br />Transcribed the whole of Westmorland 41 census<br />and Rochdale 61 <br /><br />Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Sunlaws

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 16 October 10 15:48 BST (UK) »
Hi
John MARCHANT seems to have forgotten to enumerate himself, though he has written and signed the entry for the Debtor's Gaol. All the other persons who enumerated their institutions in HO107 1300/12 included themselves: W.DYER (workhouse), Wm PEACOCK (infirmary), Francis SCOTT (gaol), and Dennis MARSHALL (barracks).

There is an interesting mention of Halifax Debtors' Gaol in 1841 at:

http://www.institutions.org.uk/prisons/England/YKS/wakefield_debtors_gaol.htm

John MARCHANT is not mentioned by name, but is presumably the subject of the less than favourable comments.

Regards,

Lesley
Bradley, Gledhill, Dodson, Norcliffe, Kaye, Matthewman- all Berry Brow/Almondbury
Webster- Northowram
Brick wall: Maria Blaymires  c 1800 Northowram

Offline Scottiedog

• RootsChat Senior
  • Grandma
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 16 October 10 18:21 BST (UK) »
Thanks ever so much for such swift replies. I'm really very grateful.

Isobelruss - thanks for the offer, I'll pm my email address.

Sunlaws - thanks for the info and also for the link. I guess a guy's got to make a bob or two where he can  ;D

Les

Offline Sunlaws

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: 1841 Census - Marchant - COMPLETED - Thanks
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 17 October 10 21:02 BST (UK) »
Hi again

It seems I was doing John MARCHANT an injustice by assuming it was he who had withheld the body of Henry FOSTER from his executors because Henry FOSTER had died owing money for his keep while in gaol.

The Bradford Observer for 11th November 1841 names the offending keeper as Francis SCOTT, bailiff and keeper of the Manor Gaol.

I discovered that the Court of Requests Gaol, commonly known as the Debtors' Gaol, was for debtors of relatively small amounts (40 shillings when an act was passed in 1767, 15 pounds by 1845), whereas more substantial debtors were housed in the Gaol for the Liberty of the Manor of Wakefield, of which Francis SCOTT was the keeper. Fifteen out of nineteen prisoners listed there in 1841 have a 'D' beside their name, presumably signifying 'debtor'.

The debacle doesn't seem to have harmed Francis SCOTT's career as in Walker's Directory of Halifax for 1845 he is still listed as 'manor bailiff and inspector of weights and measures', of Jail Lane.
John MARCHANT is listed in 1845 as 'gardener and seedsman' of Hanson Lane, which he was obviously able to combine with his duties as keeper of the Court of Requests Gaol.

I hope I have now rescued the reputation of John MARCHANT!

Regards,
Lesley
Bradley, Gledhill, Dodson, Norcliffe, Kaye, Matthewman- all Berry Brow/Almondbury
Webster- Northowram

Offline Scottiedog

• RootsChat Senior
  • Grandma
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 17 October 10 23:26 BST (UK) »
Lesley

Thanks for the clarification. The family reputation is restored!

I think John's father William may also have been a governor of the debtor's prison, but I've no idea where to look for confirmation.

Regards
Les

Offline Sunlaws

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 18 October 10 13:44 BST (UK) »
Baines Directory for 1822 lists the beadle of the Court of Requests as Isaac GOODALL, but subsequent directories do not mention the Court of Requests, unfortunately.

WYAS Calderdale archives has a potentially interesting document STN:24 GB 203, which is a petition of 28th March 1828 by the debtors in the Court of Requests Gaol for financial assistance from the crowds flocking to attend the opening of the canal, but I suppose such a document is unlikely to mention the keeper of the gaol even if the debtors are named.

Regards,

Lesley
Webster- Northowram

Offline Scottiedog

• RootsChat Senior
  • Grandma
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 18 October 10 17:22 BST (UK) »
Lesley - thanks once more.

I know very little about William. His wife Ann was described as a widow in 1841. There's a possible death record for him in 1838 - I think I'll order up the death certificate and see if answers anything.

Les

Offline Fleurice

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 29 October 11 20:25 BST (UK) »
John Marchant is my 4th or 5th great grandfather i would love to get in contact with you if possible do you have an email