Author Topic: john worthington  (Read 4605 times)

Offline shela

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
john worthington
« on: Saturday 16 October 10 16:31 BST (UK) »
hi  my great great grand dad came from ireland but dont no where he was born ,he married his 2nd wife in liverpool she came from carlow. please how i can i find out where my gt gt grand -dad was born. thank you sheila ???

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: john worthington
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 16 October 10 19:29 BST (UK) »
We really do need more details before we can try to help you.

Was John Worthington born before 1864? If so, there will be no birth certificate and you'll have to search for church records. If 1864 or later you can search the civil registration index-
http://search.labs.familysearch.org/recordsearch/start.html#p=collectionDetails&c=fs%3A1408347

English census records should give you an idea of his birthdate and age on death certificate might also help. Marriage certificate should list father's name and occupation.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline shela

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 17 October 10 11:12 BST (UK) »
dear aghadowey, sorry for giveing you so  few details, this is what i know about john, he was born in ireland in 1815 was married for the ist time in ireland and his wife died there they had no children,in 1853was liveing in ford st liverpool with 2nd wife catherine( nee mc cormick) he had married her in liverpool in 1853 he was 38 years  and  born in ireland  his occupation tailor, his fathers name also john worthington, his new wife was age 20 and from burris co carlow , john died in 1871 but it has age 50 on the cert, i think it  would be 56 thank you shela

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 17 October 10 11:13 BST (UK) »
Civil registration of births started in 1864, registration of Catholic marriages 1864 and non-Catholic marriages 1845. Before these dates you need to know the family's religion and where they lived (parish if not actual townland) not just the county or 'Ireland' to see if any church records for the family might exist.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline shela

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 17 October 10 11:35 BST (UK) »
o thanks for your help but i dont no where they lived or there parish, ill just have to make  do with the bit i do know. thank you .shela (ps they where r.c.)