Author Topic: Prestwich - Manchester directions  (Read 1250 times)

Offline jenn270

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Prestwich - Manchester directions
« on: Saturday 16 October 10 16:53 BST (UK) »
I have received much help from Rootschatters in England so turn to you again. I live in Eastern Canada and am presently in England with a friend, helping her with genealogy research. We have found we will have time to make it to the Manchester-Prestwich area on Monday & Tuesday (her Eveleigh ancestors lived in Prestwich) and would welcome suggestions of what area would be best to stay given that we will arrive by train. Neither of us are at all familiar with the area and want to go to both Prestwich and the records office. Any suggestions greatly appreciated as I need to make some arrangements prior to our arrival!

Offline gortonboy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Gorton
    • View Profile
Re: Prestwich - Manchester directions
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 16 October 10 18:06 BST (UK) »
Prestwich is not far from the city centre,,and is easily got to by public transport. If you are looking for a place to stay ,,then anywhere in the centre of manchester would be ok.
MCHUGH {mayo/manchester}   OHora,MCHALE{mayo/manchester /chicago}  KENNY{Manchester}   TIMPERLEY{wilmslow-bollin fee,Manchester} SMITH{manchester}  LEE{Colne,manchester,Cheshire} VENABLES {Styal.Cheshire} PAYTON {Staffs/Manchester}McCARTHY{TIPPERARY/MANCHESTER}  EAMES/AMS/HEAMES/HAMES/AYMES {Wilmslow/Manchester} Eames/Aymes  {Ireland/Manchester/Cheshire
Census information is Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Radlad

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 16 October 10 21:49 BST (UK) »
Prestwich is about 4 miles north of manchester city centre. train to Manchester then get the Metrolink line to Bury from Victoria Station . Prestwich has 2 stations , Heaton Park and Prestwich . PM me with some more details and I might be able to help. I'll be in Prestwich for most of next week and know it well.

Edited following PM.
                                  Prestwich Station is about 1/4 mile from St. Marys and Prestwich Park is about 1/2 a mile down the main road towards Manchester
Monk- pre 1783 Anglezarke / Rivington
Jolly-Chorley, Wigan, Heapey, Heath Charnock, Rivington, Anglezarke, Prestwich
Ebrey- Oswestry, Wrexham, Pendleton, Childs Ercall
Murray- Shropshire/Cheshire
Harrison- Stoke/Burslem

Offline craggagh

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 16 October 10 22:22 BST (UK) »
Hello -

You might try the Travel Inn in Prestwich. It is not very far at all from St Mary's church or the Prestwich Metrolink station and about halfway between Manchester and Bury.

craggagh.

Offline jenn270

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 17 October 10 11:21 BST (UK) »
Thank you all for your help. We are now booked into accommodations in the city centre and hope to be able to get to the records office tomorrow. Depending upon what we learn there about burials we may go to St. Mary's on Tuesday before leaving the area.