Author Topic: The Howards in Halstead essex  (Read 10809 times)

Offline essexpoet

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: The Howards in Halstead essex
« Reply #9 on: Friday 22 October 10 07:43 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I am pleased the information matched.
In reply to your questions I found the information mainly on line - census reports and the FreeBMD site.
I do also visit the ERO in Chelmsford
I am not a Howard .
I do not subscribe to ancestry but have an offline tree builder that tells me I am a fifth cousin of your granddad - I have to take the software's word for that as I could never have worked it out.   Emily Beadle's grandfather John Beadle was one of my 4xgreat grandfathers but I am from a different line from Emily. I live on the Essex/Suffolk border.
Let me know if I can help further although I do not have information on your line later than your grandfather and his sisters.
Halstead ,The Hedinghams,The Maplesteads,The Belchamps,Gosfield,Gestingthorpe,Stisted,Toppesfield

Offline little_fagg

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 07 December 13 11:35 GMT (UK) »
Hi Essex poet,
I saw your post regarding john and Robert Howard. In my tree I have Robert b 1810 m Mary Ann Martin 1829 in Halstead and died in 1877. In my tree they have a swag of kids, Robert, Mary, Edward, Sarah, john,  Alfred, Eliza and Emily.
I also have john Howard  1840 halstead, married Jane scowling norfolk and died June 1886. I only have one son of there's, john Howard (jnr) born 1861. He is my connection to the family. If you have any further information could you please let me know.
Thanks for your time :)

Offline essexpoet

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 07 December 13 11:59 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

Firstly welcome to Roots Chat. I will have to dig out my records but I believe John and Jane had quite a number of other children.
Will post again when I have found and rechecked my records.

Kind regards
Mike
Halstead ,The Hedinghams,The Maplesteads,The Belchamps,Gosfield,Gestingthorpe,Stisted,Toppesfield

Offline little_fagg

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 07 December 13 13:07 GMT (UK) »
I also have been told that this side may have traveller roots but am unsure as I cant find anything.

Offline essexpoet

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 07 December 13 21:52 GMT (UK) »
John Howard was christened at St Andrews Halstead -entry states 13/04/1819

Parents Israel Howard (a tanner) and Ann (nee Dyster)

John Howard married Jane Norfolk 30/05/1841 at St Andrews Halstead - Jane's
father was William a carpenter.

John and Jane had the following children christened at Holy Trinity Halstead (Holy Trinity was a new church at the lower part of Halstead - the old Church St Andrews was at the top of the hill) -

Sarah  02/02/1845

Israel 10/04/1846 - he married Sarah Ann Fincham in 1866

Louisa 10/04/1849

Frederick 22/04/1851 - later moved to West Ham

Charles 16/09/1853 - later moved to Leyton

Daniel 16/09.1853

Emily Ann 25/03/1856 - married George Jeggo in 1876 Emily died in 1933. George Jeggo was a brother to my great grandfather.

William 18/04/1862

Arthur 18/04/1862 - later moved to Canada

John 18/04/1862 - later moved to West Ham/Leyton

Although there were more than one christening on some dates I believe that this did not indicate twins or triplets - almost certainly batch christenings.

John Howard senior has various occupation descriptions including fishmonger, hawker and labourer.

Hope this is of help

Mike

Offline essexpoet

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 08 December 13 17:11 GMT (UK) »
I think my last post contains an error as the christening entry of John in 1819 gives his mother's name as Hannah. An Israel Howard married Hannah Dunt c1892 so these could be John's parents

Mike

Offline little_fagg

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 09 December 13 01:28 GMT (UK) »
I have John's parents as a Robert Howard and Mary Ann Martin

Offline essexpoet

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 09 December 13 08:30 GMT (UK) »
Robert and Mary Ann died have a son John born c1840 - is this the one you are referring to?

If it is, I do not have information about his marriage - can you give me a year of marriage and place and name of his wife - I can then follow it up. Where was John junior born?

It appears that I may have given you a different Howard line - there were several in Halstead.

Kind regards
Mike

Offline little_fagg

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 09 December 13 10:54 GMT (UK) »
Robert Howard b 1810 Halstead. Married Mary Ann Martin on 23 November 1829. Died 1877. Mary Ann b  1810 in coggeshell Essex. Died 1872
Their son john, b 1840 married Jane scowling Norfolk b 1821 (not sure if that's right) John died 1886 and Jane 1877.
Jane and John had a son, John (jnr) b 8 April 1861 bridge st Halstead. 1891 census lived in westham 1901 lived in Leyton and was a bricklayers labourer. John married Annetta littler b 1861 Manchester, died September 1910.