Author Topic: Sampson Henry Perry, Superintendent of Police 1831-33  (Read 4581 times)

Offline dunvr

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Sampson Henry Perry, Superintendent of Police 1831-33
« Reply #9 on: Monday 18 October 10 06:49 BST (UK) »
Sampson Henry Owen Watson Perry
2 Jun 1819 at Bloomsbury St. George
parents: Sampson & Barbara

Sampson Henry O W Perry married 1st Mary Jane Churchill (The marriage record does not state his profession)

There was a daughter from the marriage named Zelia Perry born in Middlesex Dec 1838

I have been unable to find the original birth certificate on line just the index. Since this date 1838 is close to the time Sampson Henry Perry was a Police Inspector and Superintendent can anyone look up her birth and see her fathers profession?

The child from the second marriage lists Sampson Henry O W Perry as a Brewer Clerk along with all later documents. I'd like to prove Sampson Henry O W Perry is the same Sampson Henry Perry mentioned in the police officers records in 1830s.

Otherwise there must be two Sampson Henry Perry's

If anyone can look up Zelia Perry's birth Dec 1838 and see her fathers profession that maybe enough evidence

It would be a great find if he is the superintendent & Inspector

Thanks

Offline Eyesee

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 18 October 10 12:06 BST (UK) »
Bloomsbury St George
1819 Jun 2, children of Sampson & Barbara PERRY, Southampton Street St George's Bloomsbury, Esquire
Sampson Henry Owen Watson, born 1813 Sep 28
Louisa Helen Maria, born 1814 Feb 28 ??
William Champion, born 1816 Mar 4
Charles James Clowes, born 1817 Apr 2
Edward Watson, born 1818 Jun 28

Finsbury St Luke
1823 Nov 15, Clara Elizabeth, d/o Sampson & Barbara PERRY, Goswell St, Gentn, born Oct 3

Sampson was a widower when he married Barbara OGLE, 24 Nov 1814 at St Bride Fleet St. Earlier wife was possibly Susanna PATIENCE, 3 Oct 1809 at St Andrew Undershaft, where he was also a widower. He signed as Sampson Perry in 1809 and just S Perry in 1814

Interesting
St Pancras Parish Church
1810 Jun 13, William Sampson Perry, s/o Sampson & Barbara BENNETT, born May 26

St George Bloomsbury burial
1823 Jul 30, Sampson PERRY, Southampton Street St George Bloomsbury, age 77

See in 1851 Sampson H O W is with his sister Louisa PRICKETT. When the children marry they all give their father as Sampson PERRY, either Gentleman or deceased, Except Charles James, who when he marries in 1842, gives his abode as Southampton St Bloomsbury, and names his father as Sampson Perry, Editor of the Morning Chronicle.

The Times, Tuesday, Oct 07, 1823; pg. 3
On the 3d instant, at 21 Radcliffe-terrace, City-road, the widow of the late Mr Sampson Perry, of a daughter, her sixth child, the eldest only 11 years of age, and are all totrally unprovided for.

Very interesting article about his death in 1823, and obituary in Caledonian Mercury (Edinburgh, Scotland), Monday, August 4, 1823, and in The Examiner (London, England), Sunday, May 9, 1824.

He was involved in the newspapers, had been educated in the medical profession, had been married three times, and when he died left a young pregnant widow. He had been charged with outlawry, imprisoned in England and France.

I'm inclined to think that Sampson Perry 1747-1823 is the Sampson PERRY, father of PERRY children above.

If you want a copy of the obit, PM me your email address and I will send it to you.

Ian C
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Eyesee

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 18 October 10 20:42 BST (UK) »
A further thought.

With the age of Sampson PERRY when he fathered Sampson H O W, its possible he might be Sampson Henry the police inspectors grandfather. Sampson H O W is too young to be a police inspector in 1830, he would have been only 17.

William Sampson BENNETT in my previous post died on 3 Jul and was buried on 8 Jul 1810 at St Pancras aged 5 weeks.

Susannah PERRY of Southampton St, St George's Bloomsbury was buried at St Georges, on 23 Apr 1813 age 55. This was Sampson's second wife I think.

Ian C

Offline dunvr

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 18 October 10 20:43 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the info you located on my ancestors family Sampson Perry 1747 - 1823. He had several wives. He had a daughter named Charlotte Perry the mother was named Mary and this was in 1769. We find Sampson Perry married in 1775 to Mary Armstrong, there was a child William Sampson Perry b 1776. Then he has three children to Sarah Patience one of the sons James perry born 1783 was in Irish Legion in France. Then Sampson married Susannah Patience and no children are known from that marriage. She died in 1813. Then as you have found the 1814 marriage to my G G G G grandmother Barbara Ogle. I have always been suspicious why Sampson Henry Bennett Owen Watson Perry was born before the 1814 marriage. What you discovered could be a clue:

St Pancras Parish Church
1810 Jun 13, William Sampson Perry, s/o Sampson & Barbara BENNETT, born May 26

Note the name Bennett in Sampson Henry's name. Now I would imagine Barbara Bennett to be a different lady to Barbara Ogle. He maybe had several ladies at once. I'd like to know the profession of the father of William Sampson Perry born 1810. I'd like to see that birth certificate. Perhaps Barbara Bennett died leaving two childrens then Barbara Ogle bought them up? The children of Sampson were all Christened in same church at same day in 1819 minus William Sampson Perry. What has happened to him?

I have most of the other info on Sampson Perry 1747 - 1823

I don't have the obit obituary in Caledonian Mercury (Edinburgh, Scotland). Interesting that his death was advertised in Scotland.

I am also dying to prove the Sampson Henry Perry, inspector in police 1830s is Sampson Perry's son mentioned above. I have PM you my email address

Offline dunvr

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 18 October 10 21:24 BST (UK) »
Your comment

With the age of Sampson PERRY when he fathered Sampson H O W, its possible he might be Sampson Henry the police inspectors grandfather. Sampson H O W is too young to be a police inspector in 1830, he would have been only 17.

I felt this to that he would be to young but I also felt that Sampson Henry Perry the inspector should have a connection to the earlier Perry family. Sampson Perry 1747-1823 who was son of John & Mary Perry from Aston, Birmingham. Sampson Henry Perry the police inspector, now who were his parents? There was a John Perry esq in 1811 London directory in Finsbury, it could be possible John Perry was a brother of Sampson Perry 1747 - 1823. Therefor the inspector could be a nephew of SP 1747??

Offline Jeuel

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 18 October 10 21:30 BST (UK) »
You can't look at certificates online, you have to order them from the GRO.  £9 something now.  See http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Diol1/DoItOnline/DG_4017640 for info.  You won't find birth certs pre July 1837 either as that is when civil registration began.

I can't see a baptism for Zelia on Ancestry.
Chowns in Buckinghamshire
Broad, Eplett & Pope in St Ervan/St Columb Major, Cornwall
Browning & Moore in Cambridge, St Andrew the Less
Emms, Mealing & Purvey in Cotswolds, Gloucestershire
Barnes, Dunt, Gray, Massingham in Norfolk
Higho in London
Matthews & Nash in Whichford, Warwickshire
Smoothy, Willsher in Coggeshall & Chelmsford, Essex

Offline Eyesee

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 19 October 10 00:01 BST (UK) »
William Sampson Perry BENNETT, s/o Sampson and Barbara died aged 5 weeks on 3 July 1810 and was buried from St Pancras on 8 July.

Sampson PERRY's occupation on the baptisms of his children in 1819 was Esquire, and Gentleman in 1823 for Clara's. His obit said he left five young children, which would have been the five in 1819 and the sixth one Clara was born a few months after he died.

Ian C

Offline dunvr

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 19 October 10 08:23 BST (UK) »
Hi Ian

Yes that is the correct family one of them Charles James Clowes Perry was my G G G grandfather, he owned ships and came out to Australia in 1860s. I am still trying to expand my knowledge of Sampson Perry 1747 - 1823 and his last wife Barbara Ogle. I have her decent from a 14th Bishop.