Author Topic: Underlea Open Air School Aigburth  (Read 14130 times)

Offline jeffro

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Underlea Open Air School Aigburth
« on: Sunday 17 October 10 23:39 BST (UK) »
I would like to know if their is a list of pupils for the 1950s for this school.

Thanks for any help.
Ashton -Silverdale Staffs    Fernyhough - Staffs
Owen   -Anglesey
Dean - Liverpool   Casserly - Liverpool
Taylor - Bilston Staffs

Offline Luzzu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Underlea Open Air School Aigburth
« Reply #1 on: Monday 18 October 10 21:32 BST (UK) »
Hi Jeffro,

I think any records are held by Liverpool Record Office:-

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/nra/searches/subjectView.asp?ID=O105891

However, I think it is currently closed for major refurbishment and they are operating from a temporary location.  I would email them and see if they can help you.

http://www.liverpool.gov.uk/Leisure_and_culture/Libraries_and_archives/How_to_find_us/Central_library/index.asp

Good luck.

Luzzu

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Armitage, Slaithwaite; Buck, Staffs & Hampshire; Buckley, Bolton & Manchester; Temple, London & Hampshire; Crummett, Norfolk & Burnley; Osborne, Cornwall & Burnley; Haigh, Manchester & Todmorden; Gralton/Grant, Manchester & Ireland; France, Manchester & Slaithwaite; Shackleton, Burnley & Yorkshire; Dicks, Nottingham & Wiltshire; Sowter, Derbyshire

Offline royd

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 18 October 10 22:09 BST (UK) »
It may be worth googling the school as there is quite a bit about it on line.  R. :)
Wests of West Wycombe.
Druces of High Wycombe
Cork(e)s of Kent
Goodwins of Kent
Taylors of Liverpool and Dysart
Truemans of Liverpool
Lavells of Ireland and Liverpool
McGowans of Scotland and Liverpool

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 19 October 10 07:34 BST (UK) »
Hi...I went to St Margarets High School in Aigburth...right opposite was the allotments which I think were part of Underlea school...they built Sudley Road School on the allotments about 1963/64 but Underlea school remained open until the mid 1970`s......I remember that the children at Underlea came from all over Liverpool and they had a special Corporation bus to pick the children up...many of the kids had health problems, so they were more or less picked up by their homes to save them walking...
I knew 2 lads who went there in the early 60`s...both from Speke,Liverpool.....allan :)
oakes,liverpool..neston..backford..poulton cum spittal(bebington)middlewich,cheshire......   sacht,helgoland  .......merrick,herefordshire adams,shropshire...tipping..ellis..  jones,garston,liverpool..hartley.dunham massey..barker. salford

Offline Luzzu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 19 October 10 12:17 BST (UK) »
many of the kids had health problems, ...

I think the school was to help children who had tuberculosis by putting them in a healthier environment.

Luzzu
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Armitage, Slaithwaite; Buck, Staffs & Hampshire; Buckley, Bolton & Manchester; Temple, London & Hampshire; Crummett, Norfolk & Burnley; Osborne, Cornwall & Burnley; Haigh, Manchester & Todmorden; Gralton/Grant, Manchester & Ireland; France, Manchester & Slaithwaite; Shackleton, Burnley & Yorkshire; Dicks, Nottingham & Wiltshire; Sowter, Derbyshire

Offline erika

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 19 October 10 12:39 BST (UK) »
Nothing to do with the pupils who were there, but I used to go to our Girl Guide meetings there on a Friday night late 50s early 60s.  They had wonderful grounds there and lots of facilities even in those days ;)

Cheers
Erika :)
owen-liverpool, wrexham, shropshire
griffiths-liverpool, cheshire
campbell-liverpool,coatbridge, glasgow, renfrewshire
milne-glasgow
bruce-?scotland
graves-london,walthamstow,essex
ewers-essex,maldon,little baddow
royce-essex,woodham mortimer/walter
gissing-london
milward-london
plumridge-surrey,london,nottingham
breeze or breese- llanbrynmair,london

Offline clwyd2

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 19 October 10 16:42 BST (UK) »
Hi...I went to St Margarets High School in Aigburth...right opposite was the allotments which I think were part of Underlea school...they built Sudley Road School on the allotments about 1963/64 but the school remained open until the mid 1970`s......I remember that the children at Underlea came from all over Liverpool and they had a special Corporation bus to pick the children up...many of the kids had health problems, so they were more or less picked up by their homes to save them walking...
I knew 2 lads who went there in the early 60`s...both from Speke,Liverpool.....allan :)
Hi Allan I worked on St Margarets school when it was built I was an apprentice electrician and worked for Portus and Rhodes you probably know them well it was early1960s by the way what happened to the old winter gardens we used to go there for our tea break when we were working in the workshop at p&r--- regards Chris

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 21 October 10 06:58 BST (UK) »
Hiya Chris....Portus and Rhodes are still going...next to the Dealers Arms pub..
St Margarets was built on Taylors Farm.
The Winter Gardens was knocked down 6 years ago and flats were built there.
I used to live right opposite in Heald st and my son lives there now.
allan :)
oakes,liverpool..neston..backford..poulton cum spittal(bebington)middlewich,cheshire......   sacht,helgoland  .......merrick,herefordshire adams,shropshire...tipping..ellis..  jones,garston,liverpool..hartley.dunham massey..barker. salford

Offline Sandynan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 24 March 13 16:00 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jeffro
I went to Underlea School in the 1950's I have horrible memories about it how about you?
Sandynan