Author Topic: Sampson Henry Bennett Owen Watson Perry  (Read 3717 times)

Offline dunvr

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Sampson Henry Bennett Owen Watson Perry
« on: Monday 18 October 10 10:26 BST (UK) »
Wanted:

Baptisms of the children of Sampson Henry Bennett Owen Watson Perry who married  28.9.1833 at Old St St Pancras to Mary Jane Churchill.

Known child Zelia Perry born Dec 1838

There should be more children, who are they?

What was Sampson H B O W Perry's profession on the birth certificates of his children?

Offline jennifer c

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Latest bud on my family tree
    • View Profile
Re: Sampson Henry Bennett Owen Watson Perry
« Reply #1 on: Monday 18 October 10 23:22 BST (UK) »
Do you have Sampson H B O W's siblings and parents?
born 28/9/1813 parents Sampson & Barbara nee Ogle father's occ. Esquire
His brother gives their father's occupation on his marriage certificate in 1842 as Editor of the Morning Chronicle.

Masses of info on this family on line , what do you have?

Jennifer
Stevens /Godfrey /Rudgley /Claridge/ Gipson /George /Bliss
Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline dunvr

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 19 October 10 08:20 BST (UK) »
Hi Jennifer

Yes I have the siblings of Sampson H B O W Perry, his brother Charles J C Perry was my G G G grandfather. All children of Sampson and Barbara were baptised in 1819 in Bloomsbury on the same day.

Sampson Perry esq 1747 - 1823 had many wives and children, the first known child born 1769.

yet I am having trouble finding any brothers of him. I suspect one to be a William Perry, surgeon in the navy who died at sea in 1807, also wrote dictionaries.

There is a lot of info on my ancestor Sampson Perry 1747 - 1823. I guess  there is to much for me to list as to what I do and don't have. But feel free to post anything you may have on him and his family in case you have something I have not yet seen. Sampson Perry started Argus in 1789, later he owned The Statesman and Morning Chronicle which he sold to James Perry. Sampson seemed to have several properties in England and I have often wondered how he financed everything. Sampson was also a Captain, raised two East Middlesex Militia and was outlawed because of libels. I am looking for libel details, property details, further evidence of any of Sampsons 1747 - 1823 brothers. His townhouse in Bloomsbury he owned for 22 years, when he went insolvent and he died, his wife still lived there. Who funded it after his death? Basically I am interested in every detail on Sampson Perry's life. There is a lot on the Internet on him and in books, I may have missed something important on his life so as I said feel free to post what you may have on his line. I have researched for 20 years plus Sampson and still learn more about him. It seems to me some large sums of monies came to him but where from?

Thanks in advance for any help.   

Offline [Ray]

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • UK Census information Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 19 October 10 08:37 BST (UK) »
Hi

Postings in different county may have a bearing on relatives....

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=479736.0

"The wise man knows how little he knows, the foolish man does not". My Grandfather & Father.

"You can’t give kindness away.  It keeps coming back". Mark Twain (?).

Offline jennifer c

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 19 October 10 17:18 BST (UK) »
Have you seen the marriage of a Sampson Perry to Susannah Dolton 19/2/1781 St.Leonards Shoreditch

One of the witnesses was an Ann WATSON other one Benjamin Gibson.

Jennifer

Offline jennifer c

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 19 October 10 17:58 BST (UK) »
There is a web site on Google PelhamWest Family History showing your family.

They have a John Perry born 29/8/1714 Deritend & Bordesley wife Mary showing as parents to Sampson born Aston 30/12/1748
They also give a Mary Perry born 1742 as a sister to Sampson but no brothers?

Jennifer

Offline dunvr

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 19 October 10 20:44 BST (UK) »
Hi Jennifer

Yes that is the info on his baptism I had for many years. There is a sister Mary Perry as you said. I had Aston OPR searched but no other records of children for John and Mary Perry (I never found her maiden name). Now there should be a child born about 1745. I saw an old family tree said William Perry, surgeon in the navy next to Sampson's name. But I can never find documented proof they were brothers. I have found a lot of details on William Perry. He was Master of his academy in Kelso from 1770 to 1775, in 1775 he moved to Edinburgh. In 1778 he fled to London as he was bankrupt. Some  paper on him said he went to see his brother in London. I guess the meant dr Sampson Perry who also wrote a pronouncing dictionary. William Perry wrote several dictionaries, his 1805 one states he was surgeon in the navy. I found at this time two William Perry's born in the navy both the same age. One was from Berwick and sailed with Cook, he is not our William Perry, our William Perry enlisted in navy about 1780. Here is a list of ships I found him on.  

William Perry, Surgeon in the Royal Navy, Ship List

HMS Lady Mackworth, serving as surgeons mate 1781

HMS Stag from 1781 to ? as full surgeon
Requested by Captain Cooper to be surgeon on HMS Stag

HMS Pylades from 6 May 1783 as full surgeon

HMS Proserpine 20 July 1790 as full surgeon

HMS Assistance 28 Jun 1793 as full surgeon

HMS Dictator 6 May 1795 as full surgeon

HMS Pompee 12th Aug 1795 to 8 Jun 1797 as full surgeon

HMS Wassenaar 30 Mar 1798 to 20 Oct 1799 as full surgeon

HMS Saturn 20 Mar 1800 to 27 Nov 1801 as full surgeon

HMS Sophie 3 Jan 1804 to 26 Mar 1804 as full surgeon

HMS Saturn  14 Dec 1807 as full surgeon died on board, probable burial at sea

He seems to have been buried at sea and no orbit for him has been found. Interestingly no entry in the dictionary of national biography was made either.

William Perry first married in Northumberland  in 1771 to Elizabeth Burdit, the couple had one child in Kelso born 1774. From the birth of their daughter Mary perry I saw the witness was one John Perry. I often wondered if this John Perry was another brother, hence we find a John Perry in Finsbury in 1811 London directory who could be the father of Sampson Henry Perry, police inspector. Then we have a sworn statement by Lydia Perry nee Smith who says that she married Dr William Perry in 1803 (the marriage record is on ancestry.com). 4 months later William Perry was back at sea so I do not know if Lydia had any children. There is a pension record at the national archives saying she died in 1845 and was known as Lydia Coppings by then. Census picks up her living with a James Coppings in 1841.

So thus we have Sampson Perry 1747 - 1823 with two possible brothers, William & John Perry. No mother maiden name, no other known siblings apart from his own children  to which he had many. One of Sampson's sons fled to France and joined the army there, he was an officer and won the legion of honour.

I am searching everywhere for any brothers of Sampson Perry.

I makes me wonder how he could fund two Middlesex Militia at his own expense and every time he got out of jail he had money to buy properties. His townhouse in Bloomsbury he owned for 22 years when he died the furniture was sold off for auction as he was in debt again. Yet Barbara Perry still lived there a while after his death, who funded the property? Where did the money come from? Part two in next posting

Offline dunvr

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 19 October 10 20:45 BST (UK) »
part two of posting text to long

In the Times newspaper I found this:

ONE HUNDRED POUNDS REWARD

The late Sampson Perry esq.. of Southampton-street, Bloomsbury-square – the immediate representatives of the above named gentleman of a REWARD of 100 POUNDS to any person or persons who will give them much information as shall lead to the RECOVERY of the PROPERTY referred to in the subjoined letter to Sir Erskine Perry. Or, independent of its recovery, half the above sum will be given to any party who will simply make known what property the letter refers to, by whom and how bequeathed, and who is now holding it. Lastly, any authentic information, however short of those particulars, shall be handsomely paid for:-

(Copy.)    “14. Charlotte-street, Bloomsbury, June 25, 1832.
“Sir,-You will oblige me by saying if you are the son of the late Mr. Perry, of Southampton-street, Bloomsbury-square; and if so I hope to be able to communicate to you some pleasing intelligence in respect of property of considerable value. If you are not related to the deceased, and are acquainted with his son, you will probably apprise his representatives of the subject of this.
                    “I remain, Sir, your most obedient servant,
                              (signed)              “ J. Nokes.

“To Erskine Perry, esq., Albany.
The letter, of which the above is a copy, is now in the possession of the undersigned. Sir Erskine Perry, having been acquainted with the late Mr. S. Perry, enclosed it to his widow (still living) with congratulations. It is said to be funded and landed property, but chiefly the former, and is supposed to be held in Warwickshire or Worcester, and to be that often spoken of by the deceased gentleman of being then in the possession of two maiden aunts of his, and becoming eventually in the inheritance of his children. A party named Lyne or Lynes has been mentioned as in some way connected with the affair. Should this meet to the eye of the solicitor, whose signature the letter bears, he is requested to communicate full particulars to Mr. C. J. Perry, (the son,) at No. 9, Angel-terrace, New-road.

Now Barbara Perry seems to have gone on a pension and been not very well look after. Whilst my G G G grandfather Charles J C Perry seems to have enough money to buy merchant ships. Did he get his funds from the above properties? I have yet two identify who the maiden aunts in Warwick were.

Interestingly Sampson Perry sold the Morning Chronicle to a James Perry who was born in 1755 in Aberdeen, son of another James Perry who could be the son of a John Perry possibly from Middlesex. The level of James Perry's education seems to be vary high as was William Perry and John Perry.

Would really like to find out more about the above research to which I have been researching for some years now. Especially like to locate documented proof of Sampson's brothers. I have a researcher looking into this as well but if anyone comes up with info please post it here, thank you.