Author Topic: Abandonned Property - Boston USA  (Read 1697 times)

Offline rivierableu

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Abandonned Property - Boston USA
« on: Monday 18 October 10 13:45 BST (UK) »
I have question to ask if I may.  In 1997 when I was first connected to the internet I began to look for an “abandoned account” on behalf of my mother.   Her father had set up a savings account in her name in Boston where he was living, I’m guessing this would have been in 1924 or thereabouts but it might have been earlier.  When he died in 1929, an aunt continued to pay into the account for her until it matured on her twenty-first birthday (1936).  My mother, born in Boston in 1915, went to Ireland in 1920 and by the time the ‘policy’ matured, she had moved to London where she was nursing.  She was sent the relevant paperwork in order to put in her claim, but this was lost as she moved from hospital to hospital during the war.

I began to do some searches for her and sent letters out to the Massachusetts Archives, Office of Thrift Supervision and also the Abandoned Property Division.  Sadly, because we don’t have a name for the bank or society where the money was put, no one could help.  The one positive outcome of my writing was that we were told that whatever money had been saved would still be there and belonged to her.   

My mother died in 2003 and whilst I’m sure we are only talking about a modest sum, my grandfather and an aunt took the trouble to save that  money for her and so in her memory, I’d still like to find it.

The internet has moved on a great deal since 1997 and I was wondering, with all the archives available, where I should begin my new search.  I am still a bit of a novice but If anyone is able to advise I would be very grateful.   :)

Many thanks. 

Offline still_looking

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Abandonned Property - Boston USA
« Reply #1 on: Monday 18 October 10 23:16 BST (UK) »

Offline dollylee

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 19 October 10 10:13 BST (UK) »
When you visit the website suggested by still_looking, only type in her last and first name.  One hit will pop up in Marlboro ... which may or may not be her but it is certainly worth checking out.

Apparently there is no time limit on claiming funds and interest is paid as it sits there so after all this time it might be a nice little surprise.

The "FAQ" section is very informative and should give you all the information you need to make a claim.  Good luck  ....  regardless of the amount of money that it may entail, to be able to claim something meant for your mother from so long ago is just so exciting.

dollylee

Offline rivierableu

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 19 October 10 10:55 BST (UK) »
[color=Teal]Oooh…. :D  Thank you both so much for your replies.  That address was actually one of the addresses that I contacted back in 1997 but didn’t get anywhere.  Luckily I printed off all the paperwork from the searches I did back then.  I had no idea that interest might be added!!

I will take a deep breath now and do as you suggest by typing in her last name only.   You know, even though my mother’s dead now, I know she would have the biggest smile on her face if I manage to find it.   Thank you both for your help.  I’ll keep you posted  ;) ;)
[/color]