Author Topic: 1834-ish marriage, Coventry, help  (Read 4427 times)

Offline rebekahm28

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
1834-ish marriage, Coventry, help
« on: Monday 18 October 10 14:12 BST (UK) »
Does anyone have marriages for Holy Trinity church around 1834, Ive looked on Hunimex but they're 1837 onwards. Im trying to find the marriage of Alicia Bates and Patrick Timms. Otherwise I have to face the fact they may have married in Ireland. Their children all married at Holy Trinity though, instead of a Catholic church, which gives me an idea that maybe Alicia wasnt Catholic.
Casaubon (Geneva, London), Daulinge, Berners, McMullen (Nottingham), Tabb (Leics), Mycock (Derbys & Staffs), Gilbert (Notts), Price (s Wales), Krilovs/similar, gypsy Roberts, gypsy Clark, Bexell (Sussex), gypsy Elliott, Raven, Neligan (Co Kerry), Rymer, Newton (Hull).

Offline shirl100

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: 1834-ish marriage, Coventry, help
« Reply #1 on: Monday 18 October 10 18:33 BST (UK) »
From the familysearch.org pilot site there is this marriage at Coventry St John

2 May 1831 Patrick Timms, single and Elizabeth Bates single.

All the children's marriages are on there at Holy Trinity as you say. Maybe the Elizabeth has been misread during the transcription or it could be that this is another couple.

Shirl
North,Noble,Harrison,Seller - North Riding Yorks parishes
Brown,Brooks,Watson - Belper/Duffield Derbys
Hole - Ashover Derbys
Webb, Flavell, Mason - Staffs (mainly Sedgley)
Bevan,Beamond - Chirbury Shropshire
Longridge - Northumberland/Durham
Freeman - Hampshire, Oxfordshire,Sussex
Smith - Derbyshire and Yorkshire
Whitehead - Yorkshire
Morris - St Pancras Yorkshire etc

Offline rebekahm28

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 21 October 10 16:12 BST (UK) »
Shirl, so sorry for delay in replying. Big thankyou for searching for this, youre a star. I think it may be them - Alicia is mistranscribed in a couple of census' as 'Eliza' and I think its because the name would have been proounced as 'Elysha', adding to confusion. I cant see any other Patrick Timms in Coventry and I think you have made a wonderful discovery for me, thankyou!!  :)   The marriage records are apparently kept at the records office so I'll arrange to visit; I'd die to know Patricks fathers name. xx
Casaubon (Geneva, London), Daulinge, Berners, McMullen (Nottingham), Tabb (Leics), Mycock (Derbys & Staffs), Gilbert (Notts), Price (s Wales), Krilovs/similar, gypsy Roberts, gypsy Clark, Bexell (Sussex), gypsy Elliott, Raven, Neligan (Co Kerry), Rymer, Newton (Hull).

Offline shirl100

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 21 October 10 18:07 BST (UK) »
So pleased it might be a lead for you, good luck.

Shirl
North,Noble,Harrison,Seller - North Riding Yorks parishes
Brown,Brooks,Watson - Belper/Duffield Derbys
Hole - Ashover Derbys
Webb, Flavell, Mason - Staffs (mainly Sedgley)
Bevan,Beamond - Chirbury Shropshire
Longridge - Northumberland/Durham
Freeman - Hampshire, Oxfordshire,Sussex
Smith - Derbyshire and Yorkshire
Whitehead - Yorkshire
Morris - St Pancras Yorkshire etc

Offline gnomesbane

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 04 December 10 22:00 GMT (UK) »
I am the great great grandaughter of Patrick Timms and Alice Bates through their daughter Margaret. I have not found their marriage in Coventry. I have found Patricks death from cholera and a record of his brief incarceration in Coventry for stealing lead of a roof - 3 months imprisonment!

England & Wales, Criminal Registers, 1791-1892

Name:   Patrick Timms
Estimated birth year:   abt 1811
Date of Trial:   1 Jul 1839
Trial Year:   1839
Location of Trial:   Warwickshire, England
Sentence:   Imprisonment

Any info welcome

Offline rebekahm28

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 06 December 10 12:51 GMT (UK) »
My husband is also a descendant of Margaret through her daughter Lucy!   We live in Coventry but I hadnt seen this, thankyou so much, Ive put it in my notes and will investigate further. These are my notes on Patrick which may help with your research:
Born Ireland, in Coventry by 1834. Court appearance in 1839 for stealing lead. On 1841 census on Lockhurst Lane, Foleshill, Coventry with wife and 4 eldest children.  Moved to Palmer Lane between 1842-44. Died 1849 of asiatic cholera at New Buildings, near his family on Palmer Lane. A house on New Buildings had been made into a paupers hospital for cholera patients.  Death registered by Charlotte Dingley. Further research has shown that Charlotte was assistant to a 'Pauper nurse' called Mary Bird, aged 81.  *Patrick's death record is under the spelling of TIMS, and some of his children's birth records have this spelling too, although all used Timms later on and his wife used the name Timms. Buried in a paupers grave with 27 others, buried on 18 Sept 1849 at London Rd cemetery, Coventry. Square 114 grave 30.  **Possible marriage: 2 May 1831 Patrick Tims and Elizabeth Bates at St Johns Baptist church, Coventry, witnessed by Sarah Bates and Richard Byrne. Alicia had already been mistranscribed as Eliza on some census reports, maybe her name was pronounced as Elysha, adding to confusion.  However, I'd be surprised if they married in a Baptist church....but their children married in Church of England so perhaps Alicia wasnt Catholic, she may have only been born in Ireland for her fathers work, if perhaps he was a soldier? Her 2nd marriage was in a Catholic church but this may have been her husbands religion or perhaps she WAS Catholic but Patrick was from the north of Ireland and therefore Protestant? Need to establish if there was another Patrick Tims/Timms in Coventry who married an Elizabeth Bates. If so, I can rule out that marriage for my couple. No fathers names or other details were given. (Can find no other death entries for a Patrick Tims or Timms and the 1841 Coventry census only has my Patrick Timms. Looks like it may be a definate marriage.) The Sarah Bates may have been married to Daniel Bates, living in Allesley, Coventry in 1841. Or the Sarah Bates living on Bishop St in 1851, or the Sarah Bates on John St in 1851 married to Joseph - if so, she was family. In future years, her grandson Henry Bates would marry Margaret Timms so I think Sarah may have been Alicias sister or cousin.

Offline Graham Whitehead

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 02 January 11 18:08 GMT (UK) »
Rebeka, just to point out that St John the Baptist Church is Anglican (C of E) and NOT a Baptist (Nonconformist) Church.  I  have RC ancestors in Coventry whose daughter married at St Michael's when she married into my family in 1880. So mixed marriages did happen.
Happy Hunting.
Warwicks: Whitehead, Allcock, Atkins, Bayley, Beacham, Bilson, Brooks, Cleaver,Farmer,Gilks, Lucas, Kendall, Oliver, Pickard, Shilton, Underhill.
Lincs: Kendall, Clark, Morley,Vincent, Withers, Barlow,Dawson.
Leics. Vincent
Notts: Bardill, Bugg, Morley, Winfield
Dublin: Brooks, Flood.

Offline rebekahm28

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 03 January 11 00:17 GMT (UK) »
Thankyou Graham! I'll amend my personal notes, thats really helpful thankyou. Happy New Year to everyone by the way.