Author Topic: Colchester Barracks 1856-1861  (Read 19322 times)

Offline t mo

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Colchester Barracks 1856-1861
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 20 October 10 09:04 BST (UK) »
morning elissa
i ,ve found a death reg for
thomas aldous
dec1854
dist colchester
v 4a p 170
nothing for charles so far , on that marriage cert you have for william & lydia what are the names for there fathers & there occupations , i,m thinking that we may need to start looking further to see if there is a suffolk connection for all this, also on the 1851 cen lydia ,s living with sarah bareham born dedham , so there is a mistranscription on lydias name which one is correct barron or bareham  again what is on the marriage cert
 speak later
trevor
morters-cambs-norfolk   clements london    copas newington
went colchester essex    goodey essex -suffolk

Offline edalmun

• RootsChat Senior
  • www.greatauntyalice.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 20 October 10 10:46 BST (UK) »
Hi Trevor,

Lydia's parents Sarah and Charles Barron (stonemason) have had there name mispelt so many times I've lost count! I believe Barron to be the correct name as it is the one I have found most often.

On the marriage certificate William's father is a Thomas Aldous who is a whitesmith. I think that this Thomas Aldous died in 1839 and left a will, so I've ordered a copy from the Essex Records office that I should get sometime next week. This might explain a bit more about the family.  I presume that it was their father's death that caused the Aldous brothers to have to go into the workhouse. From the older brother's baptisms I have found that their mother was a Susanna, but I can find nothing more than that on her. She wasn't in the workhouse, so maybe she died as well.

I have contacted the graveyeard in Colchester where William would have been buried if he died in Colchester, but they have no record of him, so I'm pretty certain he didn't die there. If he had joined the army he could have ended up anywhere!

Elissa
www.greatauntyalice.com - A directory of independent family history researchers based across the UK and around the world. From small look-ups to extensive research Great Aunty Alice has a researcher who can help you.

Offline t mo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 20 October 10 15:52 BST (UK) »
afternoon elissa
just seen your question on the other posting for workhouse details i,ve put in a reply to it , but i would think william and his brother would have been in the workhouse within colchester itself which went on to become the st mary,s hospital in later life it,s gone now to make room for yet more houses in the town , a great shame as it was a good hos by all accounts

trevor

Offline edalmun

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 20 October 10 17:29 BST (UK) »
I presumed it was the one within Colchester as that seems to have been where they were living. I didn't know it been turned into a hospital and then knocked down.

Elissa
www.greatauntyalice.com - A directory of independent family history researchers based across the UK and around the world. From small look-ups to extensive research Great Aunty Alice has a researcher who can help you.

Offline vabbott

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday 20 October 10 20:02 BST (UK) »
hi
there was more than one in colchester  One was at st botolph,
one at st albrights stanway, and of course St marys also

Ronnie

Offline edalmun

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Wednesday 20 October 10 20:07 BST (UK) »
Hi Ronnie,

I didn't know there was more than one-  thanks for that info. I have the census return for 1841 that shows they are in St Botolphs.

Thanks again,

Elissa

Offline t mo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Wednesday 20 October 10 20:52 BST (UK) »
hi ronnie
where was this workhouse in st botlphs only i can,t find any record of it
trevor

Offline vabbott

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Friday 22 October 10 23:11 BST (UK) »
Hi

The main records seem to be of st botolphs but I believe these will all point to what eventually became St marys Hospital at the top of Balkerne Hill (no longer there I am afraid  But a very large site and actually i always found it a nice building I spent time in hospital there not long before it closed  I believe St albrights was also known as  Union only that will come under Lexden Colchester
  I have always been led to believe there was a small workhouse in on e of the back courts in St Botolphs street itself ,almost opposite the St Botolphs Church
and  is now a butchers and was a slaughter house  This is only hearsay I think if you have access to the census for st botolphs Street and searched the street it should show up......Hopefully  Will see what I can find out locally in our library as you have got me thinking now
Ronnie

Offline t mo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Saturday 23 October 10 07:00 BST (UK) »
hi ronnie your obviously an old  colchestrian as i am , your talking of allen,s the butchers then and behind that who knows what there was in the old days only what is now kwik fit there is an  open space which gave access to allens  and a car park for neeps garage as it was then , if you do go to library see if there any old maps , also i,ve just had a lok at the "workhouse site" and according to that in 1797 a survey was carried out and it states that each parish is responsible for it,s own poor this was until 1834 when the new poor law unions were set up and st marys took over as the sole workhouse for the town as you say allbrights being in lexden &winstree borough ( if ever a building was miss named this must be it ! ) i,ve never heard it called anything else but the spike !!.
thanks for your reply and hope to hear from you soon
trevor