Author Topic: Colchester Barracks 1856-1861  (Read 19323 times)

Offline t mo

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Colchester Barracks 1856-1861
« Reply #36 on: Monday 25 October 10 16:32 BST (UK) »
afternoon ronnie
thats a great bit of info , the st botolphs w, house i wonder if the name change came about when the catholic ch was built along with the nunnery as it,s not that old relative to other ch,s ,and the one i,m more interested in of all is east street where i was born and bred very close to the bridge that has got me going wondering where it would have been , the malthouse mentioned must have been to do with marriages mill or the siege house part of it , it just goes to show you don,t know what,s around you or was around you , well done ronnie
trevor
morters-cambs-norfolk   clements london    copas newington
went colchester essex    goodey essex -suffolk

Offline vabbott

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Monday 25 October 10 17:34 BST (UK) »
Hi Trev

The malthouse had something to do with  John Dunage that is who they would be renting it from
The Map he let me see was dated 1874 but he had no earlier maps which would have given details clearly He said it was too early

In the reference book it said Moor Lane formerly Priory street  How wierd is that?.... unless it was changed  back again later :-\

It made very interesting reading  if anyone has an  Elizabeth finch in their tree  1774 ish I found some interesting info of her possessions when she was taken into St Nicholas Workhouse

:)

Ronnie

Offline edalmun

• RootsChat Senior
  • www.greatauntyalice.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Monday 25 October 10 18:56 BST (UK) »
Very interesting reading!

Was there a workhouse in St Nicholas as well? Did these other workhouses have different names as the only name I've ever seen is Colchester Union Workhouse, and if there were more than one called this it would have got quite confusing.

Does this book mention anything about the conditions in these particular workhouses? What if any provisions would have been made for children and schooling in the 1840's? Also did all of the workhouses have an infimary section. I ask as my relative Charles Barron ended up in the workhouse, but his family were still living in Maidenburgh Street. I presume he can't have been there because he was so poor, as his family would have gone with him, so I presume he went there because he was ill. I know he died at the Union Workhouse, Colchester (whichever that is!) from paralysis certified.

Thank you for all your help,
Elissa
www.greatauntyalice.com - A directory of independent family history researchers based across the UK and around the world. From small look-ups to extensive research Great Aunty Alice has a researcher who can help you.

Offline t mo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Monday 25 October 10 19:27 BST (UK) »
hi elissa
the union workhouses came into being in 1834 although col didnt open theres till 1836 they did have infirmaries as this was the only chance they had for free medical help , why not look at www.workhouses.org.uk  it does give a lot of info into daily life in them
trevor

Offline vabbott

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Monday 25 October 10 23:00 BST (UK) »
Hello again

St nicholas Workhouse was in bucklebury lane  (could be near the castle) though where that was I willl have to go to the library again Ha!

Try this linkwww.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx? which will take you to the entry I told you about earlier  It will also give you lots of info on all the different workhouse..Makes good reading too
Hope this helps

Ronnie

Offline boxted boy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Tuesday 26 October 10 16:28 BST (UK) »
Hi
Just to add to the number of workhouses in Colchester 2 of my relations were in the Colchester Union workhouse in 1911 the address given on the census was North Station Colchester with the help of t mo we have worked out this was in fact the old Essex Hall which was opposite to the entrance to the station and was used for duel purpose as the workhouse and The Royal Eastern Counties Institution
and as the census states for idiots imbiciles and the feeble minded

Offline vabbott

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Tuesday 26 October 10 22:26 BST (UK) »
You are right there Boxted boy  and a very forbidding place it looked too  Really grim from the outside although I believe it was originally built as a Hotel  to serve the nearby north station ???

ronnie

Offline t mo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Wednesday 27 October 10 09:15 BST (UK) »
hi ronnie
in answer to your earlier post re john dunage and name change of priory st , there was an  owner of east mill before marriage took it over , i,ve seen an old trade directory online but can,t find it now so still feel that  that  the malthouse mentioned was there , as to moor lane there is what is now a foot path going all the way through to the hythe part of which we always called the moors now as all the houses in priory st cant be more than 150 yrs old i wonder if back then thats why it was called moor lane until they built the houses and made it in to a through rd the name priory st would have come about because of the old priory at the queen st end , it,s fascinating stuff you,ve found and if you could find more i for one would be very interested , also about the st nicholas w,house i suppose that could have been in culver st somewhere as its just to the rear of where st nicholas ch used to be , do you remember that before they pulled it down around 1959 i believe but could have been a year or two earlier
trevor

Offline vabbott

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Wednesday 27 October 10 10:50 BST (UK) »
hi trev
Yes as you say it gets more interesting by th e minute
I was searching for Bucklersbury Lane yesterday... still havent got there but have a few pointers but    From what I read John Taylor (father of Jane Taylor the writer of Twinkle twinkle little star and many others) came to Colchester originally to take charge of the meeting house in Bucklersbury Lane Which gives me some help  I should be able to find it easy now I am thinking it could be somewhere near where they lived as there is a quaker burial ground at the end of castle road Just an idea...... will go today
Back to Moors lane  Yes I know the passage way you mean  If you havent been back here for a while you wont know that there is a new housing development built there stretching from Roseberry avenue to the back of the Priory
Ronnie
 :)