Author Topic: Colchester Barracks 1856-1861  (Read 19329 times)

Offline t mo

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Colchester Barracks 1856-1861
« Reply #45 on: Wednesday 27 October 10 17:50 BST (UK) »
whato ronnie
isn,t the quacker meeting house up by jumbo in church st , and the quacker burial ground is down the bot of roman road against the roman wall , another bit of trivia did you know that the area of roman and castle road was originally the colchester botanical gardens , also jane taylor lived in the dutch qtr somewhere may be either east or west stockwell st ??, yes i was aware of the houses in roseberry ave and all over nicholls nursery yet another bit of open space within the town gone for a burton .
trevor
morters-cambs-norfolk   clements london    copas newington
went colchester essex    goodey essex -suffolk

Offline vabbott

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Thursday 28 October 10 15:41 BST (UK) »
Hi Trevor

You are thinking of the Friends meeting house in just behind St mary at the walls church

Apparently the" friends" had loads of meeting houses (one in each parish I believe   The one we were looking for in Bucklersby lane was in fact in the road where Andromeda was  The notes say they also had 6 almshouses which they used to relieve the poor of the parish  There are almshouse there now which are obviuosly replacements of previous dwellings
The house where Jane taylor lived is up for sale at the moment and people are saying it should be bought by the town as a museum for people to visit!! Look what a pandoras box we have opened here  I hope many people are enjoying this knowledge  :)
Ronnie

Offline t mo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Thursday 28 October 10 16:10 BST (UK) »
hi ronnie
thats the house they still use that one don,t they in fact it,s probably  the only one now
blimey we are going back now to our youth the andromeda that was the club de dance before that owned by geoff lewis  as to jane taylor if the council run true to form there,s no way they,l buy it look at jumbo they should have bought that and saved it for the towns use no they,d rather see things rot or stop someone else from making use of our heritage for the towns good , sorry i,m just getting off me high horse now , as you say a pandoras box of history unknown to many . i,m going to ask you a favour but only if your in the library next can you ask if they have all the parish registers online there as well as the ones on seax and if they can be viewed from there as well or does it mean a trip to chelmsford record office  ;)
cheers ronnie
trevor

Offline vabbott

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Thursday 28 October 10 22:27 BST (UK) »
Hi Trev

The records at the library are all the records transferred when the Colchester Records office closed a couple of years back So they have all  the essex parish records on fiche  which includes west ham east ham silvertown etc which all came under essex at that time  You can always find the fiche numbers you want to look at from the seax site before you come to save time but the listings are all handy too
They do have access to Ancestry on line which is free too but not the parish records . you would need to look at the fiches 
They have census on film and all local newspapers on film
printers are available and some people take photos of the documents they find
I go in most weeks so if anyone wants me to look something up i can no probs 

Yes I remember going to the Club de dance.i loved it there :D
Ronnie

Offline t mo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Thursday 28 October 10 22:57 BST (UK) »
hi ronnie
thanks for that info doubt i,ll get there before xmas to much to do at home  local papers can you find out how far back they go next time your there  it helps they,ve got the fiche records there saves a trip to chelmsford
all the best
trevor
ps your showing your age admitting to going to the club de dance  i  only knew of it  ;D ;)
trevor

Offline vabbott

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: Thursday 28 October 10 23:14 BST (UK) »
 :D :D :D

Offline cobbs

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: Sunday 31 October 10 00:48 BST (UK) »
Just to add that the Essex Standard is searchable ( 1833 - 1900 ) online at the Essex County Library site. All you need is a library card number.

Cobbs.

Offline vabbott

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: Sunday 31 October 10 09:46 GMT (UK) »
terrific   thanks very much
ronnie