Author Topic: George Hamilton Bell  (Read 1418 times)

Offline BAE

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
George Hamilton Bell
« on: Monday 18 October 10 23:42 BST (UK) »
I'm seeking information on the ancestors of George Hamilton Bell, who first emigrated to Prince Edward Island around 1880, married Janie Graham, and then emigrated to USA and was became a naturalized citizen in 1910. 

According to his naturalization papers, he was born 22 Sep 1858 in Newcastle on Tyne.  I found a Christening record for whom I believe to be him dated 30 Oct 1858 from St. Nicholas parish which show his parents as John Bell and Ann.  I also found a marriage record of a John Bell and Ann Barlow in Newcastle dated 2 Dec 1850 that may be GHB's parents--Ann Barlow's father is listed as William Smart. All these records are from Ancestry.com databases.

If anyone can shed light on GBH's ancestors by either correcting my information or adding to it, I would be very pleased.
Barry Edwards

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: George Hamilton Bell
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 19 October 10 00:30 BST (UK) »
That christening record is just George Bell - not George Hamilton Bell

There is another George Bell christening on 15.12.1858 at All Saints Newcastle - parents Charles & Isabella

Another 31.10.1858 - parents Thomas & Ellen

Without his middle name - you cannot be certain of the right entry

Is there any chance of getting a copy of his 1880 marriage cert? Would it show his parents names?

Would his death cert show his parents names?
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline peter brownlee

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 19 October 10 20:51 BST (UK) »
Oddly enough, the only 3 yr old George H Bell in the 1861 Newcastle census, the son of Matthew Bell Chemist 22 and his wife Mary 27, is entered as born in Canada.
Surely he couldn't have forgotten that in later life?
The family moved to Everton Lancashire where Matthew was a cashier in 1871.
Peter

Offline BAE

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 19 October 10 23:09 BST (UK) »
The only record I have of the use of the Hamilton middle name is in the USA after 1890, so the other George Bells are plausible. 

The George H Bell, son of Matthew is not George Hamilton.  That George H lived with his family through 1911 and was single until at least 1911--according to the 1911 census, his middle name was Helsop.

Thanks both of you for your suggestions.
Barry