Author Topic: Paupers Graves  (Read 5487 times)

Offline rushee

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Paupers Graves
« on: Tuesday 19 October 10 17:20 BST (UK) »
Does anyone have any information on how to locate Paupers graves?  Especially interested in the Worcester, MA country area.  Thanks in advance for any help.

Offline louisa maud

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Paupers Graves
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 10 May 11 16:46 BST (UK) »
I stand to be corrected here but from what I understand about paupers graves is, normally they are buried in unmarked graves, often with other people. It is possible to find where they are buried of you know where they died  but not always the case

Louisa Maud
Census information is Crown Copyright,
from  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Granath Sweden and London
Garner, Marylebone Paddington  Northolt Ilford
Garner, Devon
Garner New Zealand
Maddieson
Parkinson St Pancras,
Jenkins Marylebone Paddington
Mizon/Mison/Myson Paddington
Tindal Marylebone Paddington
Tocock, (name changed to Ellis) London
Southam Marylebone, Paddington
Bragg Lambeth 1800's
Edermaniger(Maniger) Essex Kent Canada (Toronto)
Coveney Kent Lambeth
Sondes kent and London

Offline pb3

• RootsChat Member
  • 'Always look on the bright side...'
    • View Profile
Re: Paupers Graves
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 10 May 11 21:37 BST (UK) »
Louisa

I'm not sure that the grave being unmarked or the presence of other burials in it is necessarily indicative of a pauper's burial. It appears to come down to the payment - or not - of the immediate burial costs i.e. digging the grave, paying for a coffin and paying for a Minister to officiate.

I've attached a couple of PDFs; the first one shows a random selection of burial records which have information in the remarks column indicating that, for whatever reason, the burial is 'on the Parish'. The second shows the occupancy of some of the graves.

Mary Cunningham was buried in plot 406 in Section A of the Old graveyard at Blackhill in 1870 and the fee of 10/- was paid. However, two previous burials of small children had already taken place in the same plot in December 1863; in these prior burials of Ann Murray and Augustine Joyce the burial costs had been borne by the Parish. For whatever reason, the cost of burying a child was less than that for an adult but presumably the parent(s) could not afford it.

There is no marker on this burial plot, or at least none that is still surviving. This is not really surprising as there are well over 500 plots in this Section and only 13 have markers of one kind or another.

As far as I know there is no separate section in Blackhill graveyard for paupers' burials and I would imagine that in most cemeteries the only indication of inability to pay would - similarly - be in the records. If it's mentioned in the records then it will be accompanied by the details of the person buried, even if, as sometimes happens it's 'Unknown' or 'A stranger'.

PatB.