Author Topic: Where is Ditch Side?  (Read 4620 times)

Offline geebrooks9

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Where is Ditch Side?
« on: Tuesday 19 October 10 19:29 BST (UK) »
Hello, can anyone tell me where Ditch Side in East London is/was? I have found an old record from 1692 which states my ancestor was born there. Thank you, Sara.
Chivers, Berkshire. Davis, Camberwell and Newington, Surrey. Golding, Maidstone, kent. Papworth, London, Middx, Surry. Whelan, Glanworth, Cork. and Dublin,  Ireland. Yardley. Deptford. Butfoy, Threadneedle Street. London and Bethnal Green.

Offline PrueM

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Please don't try to PM me :)
    • View Profile
Re: Where is Ditch Side?
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 19 October 10 20:26 BST (UK) »
Hi Sara,

I've not heard of it, but it might be a local name for somewhere like Houndsditch (a road).  Which parish was your ancestor born in?

A map of London's "lost" rivers names a "Black Ditch" in the Spitalfields/Mile End area:
http://bigthink.com/ideas/21337

Cheers
Prue

Offline geniecolgan

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 20 October 10 05:57 BST (UK) »
This has mention of Ditch Side, scroll down to where you see Scotch House to the right of the screen.

It seems to be in the Black Friers/Puddle Dock area.

http://www.rootschat.com/links/0a4p/
"All UK census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk"

Offline PrueM

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 20 October 10 06:21 BST (UK) »
Good find, genie  :D

Sara, I had a look on the Old London Maps website and this map shows a stream running down to the Thames at Blackfriars Dock -  I wonder whether this is "the Ditch" that is mentioned in geniecolgan's link? It would, I think, be the Fleet River:

http://www.oldlondonmaps.com/newcourtpages/newcourt20.html

Hope that helps  :)

Cheers
Prue

Offline geebrooks9

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 20 October 10 08:23 BST (UK) »
Hi Pru and geniecolgan, thank you both  for the information
Sorry, I forgot to add the Parish was St Leonard, Shoreditch, I have just found another record,  from 1694 and they are still living there.
They were French Huguenot WEAVERS if this helps.
Thank you both very much, Sara.
Chivers, Berkshire. Davis, Camberwell and Newington, Surrey. Golding, Maidstone, kent. Papworth, London, Middx, Surry. Whelan, Glanworth, Cork. and Dublin,  Ireland. Yardley. Deptford. Butfoy, Threadneedle Street. London and Bethnal Green.

Offline [Ray]

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • UK Census information Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 20 October 10 08:33 BST (UK) »
Hi
In the same Strype's book as "geniecolgan" mentions is also "Fleet Street .... Ditch side" part of Faringdon ward.

As the Shoreditch name implies there is at least another ditch (Soers ditch) that can be found........

"The wise man knows how little he knows, the foolish man does not". My Grandfather & Father.

"You can’t give kindness away.  It keeps coming back". Mark Twain (?).

Offline PrueM

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 20 October 10 08:37 BST (UK) »
I found the following online:

An Act passed in the twenty ninth year of the reign of His said late Majesty King George the Second, intituled "An Act to enable the Trustees for repairing Old Street Road to repair, widen and made a Road from the Sign of the Red Lion on Windmill Hill, through Worship Street, to the Ditch Side next the East Side of Holywell Mount, and through a certain Ground to the Sign of The London Apprentice, in the Parishes of Saint Luke and Saint Leonard Shoreditch…"

http://www.rootschat.com/links/0a4r/  

Whether this is your "Ditch Side" it might not be possible to say for certain.  I suspect it's a local name for an area, rather than a street name as such.  Just my thoughts though  ;)

Cheers
Prue

Offline geebrooks9

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 20 October 10 09:30 BST (UK) »
Hi Prue and CroxleyGreen, thank you both for your  replies, I noticed that one of the sons married in "The Fleet" is this in the same area? Thanks again Sara.

Offline Valda

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 20 October 10 09:41 BST (UK) »
Hi

From Wikipedia

'The etymology of 'Shoreditch' is debated....However as the place is attested as 'Soersditch', long before this, a more plausible suggestion is 'Sewer Ditch', in reference to an ancient drain or watercourse in what was a boggy area adjacent to the 'fens' of Finsbury/Fensbury to the west (Mander 1996). Possibly it refers to the headwaters of the river Walbrook which rose in the Curtain Road area.'

Regards

Valda

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk