Author Topic: o neill family  (Read 8866 times)

Offline sharon123

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Bad handwriting
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 20 October 10 14:41 BST (UK) »
hi there wonder if anyone can help me i have just received a marriage certificate for JAMES O'NEILL  and  BRIDGET  DEVLIN they were married in Pomeroy Catholic Church in Cookstown. The certificate tells me that james father was ARTHUR O'NEILL a farmer of TULLYREDNEY???? dont know if thats right as the writing is really bad and bridgets father was also a farmer CHARLES DEVLIN of KANAGHAN???? I am struggling as i cant find either of these places or even know if its the correct spelling, thought once i got this certificate i would be able to crack my irish roots but not do i am now as confused as i was before.
any help would be really appreciated.
Thanking you in advance
sharon
balmforth, leadbeater, wilby, smith - yorkshire
cassidy - co. leitrim. cregg - co. roscommon
o'neill, mccluskey - middlesbrough
platt - derbyshire

Offline sharon123

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: o neill family
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 20 October 10 14:47 BST (UK) »
hello mick123
i have just posted something on the wall for the marriage certificate of james o'neill and bridget devlin, my husband is an o'neill from the same ancesters, which child of james and bridget do you come down?
sharon
platt - derbyshire

Offline sharon123

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 20 October 10 15:01 BST (UK) »
The more i look at your listing the more i cant believe it, i have been doing my family tree for years but only started on the o'neills about 3 years ago and what i problem i had tracking them, i have only just received the same marriage certificate as you this morning and my log in name on rootschat is sharon123, i find that all very strange.
my father in law is now 73 and i am trying to find things out for him as he has never known anything about the o'neills, his father was killed when he was very young so i suppose you lose all the old stories you would have been told by your parents, it would be nice to swop information and also for you to talk to my father in law as he would be so pleased to find that he has some family out there.
sharon
platt - derbyshire

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 20 October 10 16:38 BST (UK) »
hi there wonder if anyone can help me i have just received a marriage certificate for JAMES O'NEILL  and  BRIDGET  DEVLIN they were married in Pomeroy Catholic Church in Cookstown. The certificate tells me that james father was ARTHUR O'NEILL a farmer of TULLYREDNEY???? dont know if thats right as the writing is really bad and bridgets father was also a farmer CHARLES DEVLIN of KANAGHAN???? I am struggling as i cant find either of these places or even know if its the correct spelling, thought once i got this certificate i would be able to crack my irish roots but not do i am now as confused as i was before.
any help would be really appreciated.
Thanking you in advance
sharon

No need to start a new topic- see www.thecore.com/seanruad to find townlands in Oreland. Pomeroy is in Desertcreat civil parish and there's a Tullyreavy in the same parish but difficult to be sure without seeing the record.
You are allowed to post a small portion for deciphering purposes (not the whole certificate).
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline mick123

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 21 October 10 22:17 BST (UK) »
hello sharon 123
im so glad that there is somebody out there looking for the family of james and bridget o neill.
my side of the family starts from my grand-father JOHN ARTHUR son of james and bridget and brother of JAMES
JOHN ARTHUR was born in grangetown in 1888 and married ALICE MULLIGAN at st marys church 17-5-1918
they had 8 children JAMES-BRIDGET-JOSEPH-JOHN-MARTHA-PETER-BRIAN-MARY my father was john who passed
away in 2000 the only one remaining out of the 8 is my aunty mary .
I HAVE THE MARRIAGE CERTIFICATE OF JAMES AND MARY ANN FINN 27-1-1906 ST MARYS CHURCH GRANGETOWN
in 1911 there were living in southbank at 18 upper graham st with 3 sons JAMES-THOMAS-JOSEPH also living
with them CHARLOTTE FINN (MOTHER-IN-LAW) SARAH E FINN (SISTER-IN-LAW) and a JOSEPH FINN AGE 3
going back to james and bridgets family
elizabeth married a michael daley 26-5-1900
bridget married a james darrock 18-8-1894
sarah married a michael mcgarity 22-7-1899
matilda married a francis morris 21-12-1898
mary married a patrick james rodgers 13-6-1914
catherine married a james donaghey 13-10-1916
joseph married a sarah elizabeth mclhatton 31-12-1916   i hope this helps mick

Offline sharon123

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 22 October 10 09:01 BST (UK) »
hi mick
thank you for all that information, my line comes down from james who married mary ann finn, they also had a son john born in 1915 and died in the war in the merchant navy, he had 3 sons and one of the sons john is my father in law. i bet mary has been a bit of a help to you, i have found it hard as he knew nothing about his family andi had to work totally blind, he didnt know his grandparents at all only his mothers side who was isabella mccluskey.
have had a bit of luck since i got the marriage certificate from ireland, have found that james father arthur married a second time and had a whole new family and that james mother was alice stuart, he is on the 1911 census in ireland and also bridgets father charles is on the 1901 census in ireland aged 80 living with his son john and his family. are you on Genes Reunited as i have all my tree on there, if you give me your email address it will be easier to correspond.
sharon
platt - derbyshire