Author Topic: Maengwyn Grammar School, Machynlleth,  (Read 2710 times)

Offline Abersleuth

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Maengwyn Grammar School, Machynlleth,
« on: Thursday 21 October 10 00:32 BST (UK) »
Hello everybody.

I am new to Roots Chat and have just discovered this useful site! 

I am researching my husband's family history. I know his Grandfather, John David Jones (known as J D Jones)  attended Maengwyn Grammar School, Machynlleth in 1880-1884.  He became a Calvinistic Methodist minister and his obituary refers to  “Mr John Owen’s famous school in Machynlleth”.  Does anyone have any information about this school?  If so I would love to hear from you.

Abersleuth

Offline Morganllan

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Maengwyn Grammar School, Machynlleth,
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 21 October 10 01:05 BST (UK) »
Hello

Welcome to Rootschat  :)

Have you seen this article on Machynlleth?

http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=47866

It mentions the endowment by John Owen:

"......bequest of £200 by John Owen, Esq., for teaching children, and a grant of £40 from Ann Jones for the like purpose: the endowments of the schools altogether amount to nearly £55 per annum. Commodious buildings were erected at the same time by subscription, occupying three sides of a quadrangle, with a projection in the centre; the expense amounting to £600. In these schools, which are supported partly by the endowments, and partly by subscription, a large number of children of both sexes receive gratuitous instruction; the master and mistress have a joint salary of £60 per annum, with a house and garden rent-free, and the master is allowed to take a few pay-scholars."

Offline Abersleuth

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Maengwyn Grammar School, Machynlleth,
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 21 October 10 09:37 BST (UK) »
Thanks very much. I did not know about that article, but it is very interesting - particularly about how the school was financed.

This was one of my first posts on Roots Chat and now I have received my first reply!

Very encouraging.  :)

Abersleuth