Author Topic: David Gordon HAMILTON  (Read 5847 times)

Offline smiley56

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
David Gordon HAMILTON
« on: Thursday 21 October 10 03:10 BST (UK) »
Looking for marriage details of David Gordon Hamilton who married Cecilia Unknown in Western Australia.According to his death certificate marriage was about 1944.Would like to locate maiden name and any family details of his spouse Cecilia.Both died in a car accident in Melbourne on 18th December 1959.No other details regarding family of Cecilia on either of the individual inquest data records. Hoping someone may be able to assist with a bit of information.Thanks Erika.

Offline judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: David Gordon Hamilton
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 21 October 10 03:39 BST (UK) »
Death Notice is not much help  :(

Melbourne Sun
Monday 21 December 1959
HAMILTON- On Dec 18 Cess and Curley of 72 Withers St Albert Park result of accident.  Loved friends of Ned.

Tuesday 22 December 1959
HAMILTON - David Gordon (Ick) and Cecilia Florence, dearly loved nephew and niece of the late Maisie and Harold, loved cousin of Hazel and Ray.
HAMILTON - On Dec 18 (suddenly) David Malcom (Icky) and Cec, beloved brother and sister-in-law of Roy and Essie.

Wednesday 23 December 1959
HAMILTON - Dec 18 (result of accident), David Gordon (Ick) and Cec, loved nephew and niece of Auntie Mag, Uncle Bob and Uncle George, loved cousins of Mavis and Jack

Thurs 24  December 1959

HAMILTON - David and Cecilia. On Dec 19 (result accident) son and daughter-in-law of David and Ethel (dec) RIP.

I couldn't see any funeral notice.

There was a very brief mention of the accident in the Sun on 19 Dec but no names listed. 

Judith
DYER - Wilts, London, Somerset, MIDLANE - Hants, Wilts, SONE - Hants, WRIGHT - London, Hants, SEAGER - Deptford, DWYER, FERGUSON - Victoria, MASON - Woodford Vic, BALLARD - South Wales, GOULDBY - Lowestoft
"Time present and time past are both perhaps present in time future..." T S Eliot

UK Census information Crown Copyrightt, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline ennael

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 21 October 10 03:54 BST (UK) »
from reverse marriage website:
http://www.wamarriage.info/default.aspx

HAMILTON David G
Perth
M
GLOVER
Cecilia L

Leanne

Offline smiley56

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 21 October 10 04:12 BST (UK) »
Thanks so much Judith and Leanne for your replies and information.I believe there were a few children in this family two of whom were sent to the Ballarat orphanage.I don't know who reared the others.Given the families listed in the notices, I don't quite know why this was the case and that they were not at least placed in a Melbourne orphanage near relatives.Once again my appreciation for you efforts.The Rootschat community always have members who can source so much data at a moments notice and those of us who post messages are always very grateful to you all  for your interest and willingness to assist. Cheers for now. Erika

Offline judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 21 October 10 05:33 BST (UK) »
I see them in 1949 electoral roll

David Gordon HAMILTON, press operator and Cecilia Leonora HAMILTON  - Govt Emer Hsng, Macleod, Victoria.

Can't see any other entries, except in the death index and you obviously already have the death cert.

It's a pleasure to be able to help others - I have had such kindness form R'chatters so it's nice to give a bit back. And lovely to be thanks so nicely as well  ;)

Judith
DYER - Wilts, London, Somerset, MIDLANE - Hants, Wilts, SONE - Hants, WRIGHT - London, Hants, SEAGER - Deptford, DWYER, FERGUSON - Victoria, MASON - Woodford Vic, BALLARD - South Wales, GOULDBY - Lowestoft
"Time present and time past are both perhaps present in time future..." T S Eliot

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 21 October 10 07:16 BST (UK) »
Hi
Cannot help noting a couple of inconsistencies in names here ;D

DAVID seems to have the second given name GORDON, but is memorialised at Springvale where his ashes were scatterd as  DAVID MALCOLM.  This name also is mentioned in one of the tributes above.

Cecilia was married with the second given initial of L, yet one of her tributes gives her a second name of  FLORENCE

At Springvale, she has no second initial or given name.

I'm sure these variations are unimportant, but worth noting in any case. :D
Sue
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: David Gordon HAMILTON
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 21 October 10 07:30 BST (UK) »
Hi
I see from DAVID's ww2 enlistment summary he was in WA at the time of his enlistment 1942, though he was born in Melbourne (Brunswick)

http://www.ww2roll.gov.au/script/name.asp

We wonder then, perhaps CECILIA was a Western Australian lass and her family details possibly lie there rather than Victoria.

Do you have CECILIA's death Certificate, or just DAVID's?

Sue
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 21 October 10 07:35 BST (UK) »
The Australia Death Index gives this information of death registration:
David Gordon Hamilton, 41
Parents: Malcol David, Ethel Edith Crowley
1960, Victoria reg no 1896

and
Cecilia Hamilton, 40,
Father's name: Unknonn
1960, Victoria, #1895

Another census entry 1954
Cecilia Leonora HAMILTON, home duties, 14A Area 3, Camp Pell

Camp Pell was an Army barracks in the 50s in Parkville, North Melbourne.  Perhaps David was away with the army as he is not recorded at the same address in 1954.

Judith

Offline smiley56

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: David Gordon HAMILTON
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 21 October 10 08:15 BST (UK) »
Thanks Judith,
 I did see that entry in the Electoral records and I had not come across this type of file listing before "emergency housing".Have you seen this term?I assumed it meant housing commision accommodation, a term I am more familiar with.
Sue your comments about the names I had noted.I did see on the Victorian discs that David's father is listed as David Malcolm Hamilton.On the Inquest discs and the death certificate the David I was seeking is listed as David Gordon Hamilton.I did not get the certificate for Cecilia however as I was looking into this situation for one of the daughters who was sent to the Ballarat orphanage.She knew the name Hamilton and thought that both the names Gordon and Cecila figured in the mix somewhere, so when I looked at the inquest listing I knew this was them.I thought if there was going to be any additional information regarding the mother's maiden name and children listing it would be with the father's details.Thankyou also for the war record link.When searching for records I access another site, but this link you provided is much easier to negotiate and I will definitely use it again.I will as you suggest also look into Cecilia's family in Western Australia.I hope they have some data readily available online.The entries at Springvale were quite a find and I was rather surprised when they came up so readily.Once again my thanks to you both for your time and assistance.Just got your new message Judith as I was sending this off, good to have that explanation about Camp Pell.Got the Edith Crowley and David Malcolm Hamilton from the discs at the library.Will try and see If I can identify any of the relatives who contributed family notices to the newspaper.Another clue about relatives may be that the person I know said one of the older sisters who was not sent to the orphanage travelled  frequently to Dimboola in Victoria .Could just be a coincidence rather than anything significant.The plot thickens!!Cheers.Erika.