Author Topic: COMPLETED Archer family from Fifield  (Read 4309 times)

Offline dunkmac74

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
COMPLETED Archer family from Fifield
« on: Thursday 21 October 10 12:22 BST (UK) »
Hi all im trying to gather some info on the Archer family from Fifield am i right in thinking that this is near Witney?All i have at present is a marriage date for my gggg Grandparents which is
5th November 1829 moreton in marsh
William Clark from moreton in marsh to
 Sarah Archer from fifeild Oxfordshire
Sarah was born about 1800 not a lot to go i know but im just curious if anyone has any info on the Archer family from that area that i may be able to tie in with Sarah,many thanks Dunc

Offline lotteex

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Archer family from Fifield
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 30 October 10 13:39 BST (UK) »
Had a quick look whilst I was in the library.

I found a Sarah ARCHARD bapt. 10/4/1810 dau of James and Hannah

then a Ann ARCHER bapt. 6/3/1814 dau of James and Hannah.

So possibly same parents and this was in the FIFIELD register

Also checked Fyfield and coudn't find any details

Couldn't find any a marriage for James and Hannah in either Fifield or Fyfield.

Hope it is of some use

Lottee
Mason - Yorkshire
Manger -Tynemouth/Hull
Turner - Cottingham
Franklin - Cottingham
Lawrence - London
Bailey - Northumberland
Butler - Hampshire/Channel Isles
Harms - Hampshire/London/India/Northumberland
Timson - Ware, Hertfordshire
Wild & Nield - Lancashire
Row(e) - Buckinghamshire
Manders - Buckinghamshire
Wilkins - Herts
Lamberts - Herts
Crowe -Northern Ireland

Offline daisymac64

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 30 October 10 18:30 BST (UK) »
Hi Lottex thanks for checking for me i really appreciate it,funnily enough i have been told that sometimes Archer was written as Archard and also as Orchard due to peoples country burr when telling people their surname and also as most times they couldnt write so it got recorded as how it was pronounced,i was also told that Archard was another variation of the surname Orchard,whilst searching thru census records for other family members in Stow on the Wold i saw a family of Archards who were also called Archer,maybe i should try looking into this a bit further as maybe her family were originally from there and may of been Orchards,once again thank you so much before you replied all i knew was Sarahs maiden name but had no idea of her parents thank you so much,kindest regards Dunc

Offline lotteex

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 31 October 10 08:17 GMT (UK) »
I'm sure I saw Orchard but didn't link the possible connection. Can check next time I 'm in there.

Lottee
Mason - Yorkshire
Manger -Tynemouth/Hull
Turner - Cottingham
Franklin - Cottingham
Lawrence - London
Bailey - Northumberland
Row(e) - Buckinghamshire
Wilkins - Herts
Lamberts - Herts
Crowe -Northern Ireland

Offline daisymac64

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 31 October 10 14:14 GMT (UK) »
Hi Lottex,im just replying for my Dad whos away for the week if you dont mind and have time next time your in the library for Archard Orchard that would be really really kind of you,i have found a family of Orchards born 1821 ish in Witney which im sure isnt that far from Fifeild?, just out of curiosity do the records in Library list peoples occupations as well?
 Many thanks again
   kindest regards
     Daisy

Offline lotteex

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 11 November 10 16:21 GMT (UK) »
Hello Daisy and Dunc
James Archer was a Labourer.
Job Orchard was baptised on 20/12/1829 Witney St Mary son of Edward and Christian, Gypsy, so a bit of confirmation there.
Not a lot more I'm afraid. There are a lot of Archers so your plans to visit is probably worth it as you have all your info and know who you are looking for.
If you have any other specific names I will happily check them for you so please ask
Lottee
Mason - Yorkshire
Manger -Tynemouth/Hull
Turner - Cottingham
Franklin - Cottingham
Lawrence - London
Bailey - Northumberland
Row(e) - Buckinghamshire
Wilkins - Herts
Lamberts - Herts
Crowe -Northern Ireland

Offline dunkmac74

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 11 November 10 18:54 GMT (UK) »
Hi Lottee thats great info thankyou so much! I,ve found out the job Orchard you mention turns up in Cornwall eventually and is part of the well known Romany orchard family in the South West.I,ve now got to find out if the James and Hannah Orchard mentioned on the Orchard thread on the oxford forum are the parents of my Ggg nan Sarah also if Jame's father is the Thomas Orchard mentioned and also find how Harriet orchard born Burford and jobs parents fit in! At least thanks to you i have a start and when i go to Oxford library i have quite a few names to look out for,i think im goin to need to be Colombo to work this lot out lol ! Many thanks again its really appreciated by my family and me,kindest regards Dunc

Offline dunkmac74

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 17 February 11 21:55 GMT (UK) »
Hi all since my last post i unfortuneately havent had time to check oxfordshire archives at the west gate for myself and have been told its closed at the moment?
I havent got access to Ancestry so any info i get hold of is by very kind rootschatters or by trial and error and by googling!
Im curious to know if Sarahs parents James and Hannah were Archers or Orchards the problem i have is apart from the baptisms for Sarah 1809 and Anna 1814 at fifield(no more baptisms were registered after 1814 so the family must of moved on) and the marriage for Sarah in 1829 to William Clarke in moreton in marsh i have no more info on James or Hannah does anyone know if they turn up in 1841 censuses etc?To confuse me more i was sent a census for a James and Hannah Orchard in 1841 in Oxford city the ages would be right but how do i know if these are my James and Hannah?I cant seem to find a James and Hannah Archer anywhere but have a lot of info on James and Hannah Orchard, would any one be good enough to try and look up a James and Sarah Archer for me or offer any advice on what i could do to make sure this is the right couple it would be really appreciated,many thanks Dunc

Offline NDRFT

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 18 February 11 11:13 GMT (UK) »
Hi all im trying to gather some info on the Archer family from Fifield am i right in thinking that this is near Witney?All i have at present is a marriage date for my gggg Grandparents which is
5th November 1829 moreton in marsh
William Clark from moreton in marsh to
 Sarah Archer from fifeild Oxfordshire
Sarah was born about 1800 not a lot to go i know but im just curious if anyone has any info on the Archer family from that area that i may be able to tie in with Sarah,many thanks Dunc

There are TWO Fifield /Fyfields in Oxfordshire at todays date.
One is off the A420 near Kingston Bagpuize but that has been in / out for years and spent a vast majority of its time in Berkshire until 1974 when it was definitely put in Oxfordshire and it has remained so ever since.

The second and most likely the one you have is just NW of Burford between the A361 to the East and the A424 to the West, it is in Oxfordshire but has been mistakenly referred to as Gloucestershire so close are the boundaries. This place is 10 miles from Moreton in the Marsh, Glos  and 12 miles from Witney, Oxon
Hope this helps in some small way
Robinson - Oxfordshire
Stratford - Gloucestershire,
Waters - Northamptonshire,
Moss - Oxfordshire,
Bint - Berkshire,
Collins / Collings - Buckinghamshire,
Salmon - Warwickshire and Northamptonshire
Stranks - Northamptonshire,
Bull - Oxfordshire /Buckinghamshire,