Author Topic: Re: Ringsend MAP  (Read 14144 times)

Offline little alison

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Ringsend MAP
« Reply #18 on: Friday 25 January 19 16:50 GMT (UK) »
Hello breener.
I am very interested, but I'm having to go back a long way and find my files on the Hibernian Works - it may take a little while for me to get sorted! 

This is certainly a  better picture than the only one I found, in 2011, from  http://www.news4.ie/  - April 2011.  (Appears to be defunct). I don't know if that's still available, I will put it up when I can work out how, not having been on here for ages!

I probably have a lot of info, some of which you may find interesting, and I'd also like to know more about other things you mention, like the local lore. Also the bottleworkers' strike in 1886 - my info has a lot of gaps in it.

I'll be back.... Alison
LITTLE - Lancs, Cheshire. Dumbarton, Dublin and Glasgow - and South Africa. Also Canada

PRICE, ALLEN, JONES, JACKSON - Gwersyllt and Wrexham

ANDREWS, DOWSE, MEMERY - Dublin, US, and Canada

Offline breener

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Friday 25 January 19 18:23 GMT (UK) »
Hi Alison,
I will have a root through my files for the local lore history.
The NewsFour articles have been archived.
You might find it in
here-> http://www.newsfour.ie/archives/archives-2011-2012/
Thank you.

Offline little alison

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Friday 25 January 19 19:42 GMT (UK) »
Hi breener.

I think I've attached the picture. I couldn't find it at News4.... Glad I copied it! It was only when they identified the road that I could see the chimney in the background.

The other picture is of my greatgrandfather John Little (Two, as his father was also John LIttle. Dreadful name to search for.) She is his second wife and not my ancestor.
Family story - unproved, via my uncle - was that he made bottles for Guinness. I think from my searches back when, that he was trying to start up a works to produce machine-made bottles,and perhaps had exaggerated idea as to the future.....
And this photo (which also reached family in New Zealand) was taken to pass out to all the family at his father's funeral in Lancashire in 1889. He was left nothing, and there are a lot of hints in the records that he and his father did not get on!

My query about the strike in 1886, which at first involved three bottleworks in Ringsend, was about John's apparent trip to either Sweden or Denmark - or both - to find glassworkers to break the strike. I've read some bits about the early union's involvement in this, but haven't ever found any details of what he did or where recorded, only mentions in the Freeman's Journal.

As far as I know John was in Dublin from '68-'70 until 1896 when he emigrated to South Africa.
Any comments? - Alison

LITTLE - Lancs, Cheshire. Dumbarton, Dublin and Glasgow - and South Africa. Also Canada

Offline little alison

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Friday 25 January 19 19:43 GMT (UK) »
Whoops, sorry it's a bit big.....

Offline breener

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Friday 25 January 19 20:28 GMT (UK) »
Hi Alison,
Thanks for sharing the photo of them.
I did look through your posts for same.
On two threads,inc'this one.
My Gt.Gt.G/F was involved in the 1886
strike.And like you,I have only found records,
for same, at the Freemans Newspaper archive,and one other source,which is not of much addition.
Freeman's also gave  me an account of Tom Dunne's funeral,which saw huge numbers out on the quaysides,and across the city,on the route his cortege took to Glasnevin.
There were no photos unfortunately taken then.
I dont have the copies i got at the National Archives,here some years ago,
as they are gone to a restorer to copy-repair.
The Thorncastle str image you posed is the best known,and clearest image of it.
But there are others.
This 1st one from c.1880-90 shows Fishermans wharf,with Thorncastle to the right.
The chimney seen[above row of cottages there]shows the Ringsend Bottle Works plant at Fitzwilliam qy. The Hibernian works is to the extreme right out of view,but it gives some idea of the street back then.with gas lamp standard, at corner.
The 2nd  att.pic shows a ship berthed a the slipway,adjacent to the Hibernian Bottle works.again c.1880-90s when it was in operation.taken from a similar perspective to the 1940 one I posted earlier.[from 'Hatches Corner']as it was,and is yet called locally.
Photo 3.Shows the view towards the irish Products co.Hibernian works along the [then]York Rd.
After this it was taken over by the Hammond Lane foundry Co,who scrapped old shipping,and larger
things such as city buses &c[I have a photo,or two, from that era mid 70s onwards.
In this one you can still see some of the original stone walls of the glass works.
Last pic is an advert for the irish products, c.1942.from the Capuchin Archive-annual of that year.
PS I could not post all[too large]so will add in separate post below.three attached for now,fingers crossed.

Offline breener

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Friday 25 January 19 20:36 GMT (UK) »
Photos as per above/given order.
1.Fishermans wharf/Thorncastle str.
c.1880-90

Offline breener

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Friday 25 January 19 20:40 GMT (UK) »
Pic 2.Hibernian glass works,
c.1880-
w-ship at the 'point' slip.

Offline breener

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Friday 25 January 19 21:00 GMT (UK) »
3./irish products co.
York road,
w-original works,wall-structure
c.early to mid,1970s.

Offline breener

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Friday 25 January 19 21:54 GMT (UK) »
4/Advert at Capuchin Archives-annual of 1942.
Irish Products Ltd.
Hibernian works.