Author Topic: Completed Marlow PRs - Hastings c1821  (Read 10895 times)

Offline Orpheus

• RootsChat Senior
  • Quartermain arms
    • View Profile
Re: Completed Marlow PRs - Hastings c1821
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 25 May 11 23:11 BST (UK) »
Its funny cause the dates are close to the ones I have.

I just can't seem to find further information.

What are the sources for the information you have?

If Jonathans father is infact Jonathan as well, that is huge information.

Jonathan's father is John HASTINGS.  He married Mary MITCHELL, a widow, at the parish church of St John the Baptist, Little Marlow, Buckinghamshire on 5th February 1780.  John and Mary had 8 children and all of them were baptised at the above church - including Jonathan who was their seventh child.  Jonathan married Elizabeth INGS at the same church on 3 November 1810.  They had 6 children baptised at St John the Baptist, Little Marlow - including Emanuel who was their sixth child.

Its funny cause the dates are close to the ones I have.

They should be close because this is the family you are searching for!
Quartermain and variants - Oxfordshire
Wiggins - Oxfordshire
Lowe - Charney Bassett, Berkshire
Bettle - Bedfordshire and Northamptonshire
Marshall - Bedfordshire and Buckinghamshire
Goodman - Buckinghamshire

Offline findem

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 26 May 11 01:09 BST (UK) »
Hi, Orpheus,

Thanks for answering the jhastings queries, let's face it you know as much about my wife's Buckinghamshire Hastings ancestors as I do, after all most of my info was supplied by you  ;D

Hi jhastings,

The parents of Jonathon Hasting, John Hastings and Mary Mitchell are as far as I go currently.

Mary Mitchell's page is a blank at the moment, no clues/leads at all.

I believe I have a good candidate for John Hastings father of Jonathon from the IGI batch # P008651, John Hastings son of William & Mary. baptised 6 Aug 1758 at Cookham, Berkshire. 
I need to check this John out in the burials for Cookham before I can accept him as the John I'm now looking for, have to make sure he didn't die in Cookham, at least before 1780.
Also I need to check Cookham marriage registers to make sure that this John was free to marry Mary Mitchell in Lt Marlow.
Last year what with researching June's ancestors and mine I've blown my genealogy budget for a while but eventually I hope to obtain some fiche or CDs for Cookham.  I can't ask anyone to check the Cookham burials because it is such a long winded and onerous task.

There is also a William Hastings baptised 1727 in Hagbourne, Berkshire (from the IGI) who could possibly be John's father but there's a way to go before I follow that up  ;D

June's line descends from Thomas Hastings born 1828 & baptised 1845 at Hillingdon, the brother of Emanuel baptised 1820.

I will send you my email address by PM.

I have noted your email address and suggest you remove it via the Modify facility before too many spammers glean it.

Regards.

Concentrating currently on:
Essex: Card, Harris, Stowell, Theobald/Tibbles & Turner.
Norfolk: Beale, Cork & Dalton.
Yorkshire: Oswald Sturdy birth/baptism c1708, Oswald where the devil are you?

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Orpheus

• RootsChat Senior
  • Quartermain arms
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 27 May 11 23:25 BST (UK) »
Mary Mitchell's page is a blank at the moment, no clues/leads at all.

From Little Marlow Parish Registers:

24 Nov 1771  Robert (X) MITCHELL
                      Mary (X) CLARKE, both of this parish
                      married by banns called 13, 20, 27 October 1771
                      Witnessed by: William MITCHELL, John (X) CLARK

24 Mar 1773  Robert MITCHELL buried

8 Aug 1773  Lydia dau of Robert and Mary MITCHELL baptised

22 Oct 1798  Charles (X) CROUDY of this parish, bachelor
                     Lydia (X) MITCHELL of this parish, a spinster
                     married by banns
                     Witnessed by: Samuel ADAMS, Wm CLARK

So it looks like Mary MITCHELL was formerly Mary CLARK

I did not have time to search the burials although I know there are some
From a transcript of the Little Marlow Parish Registers held at the Centre for Buckinghamshire Studies in Aylesbury:

BURIALS

11 Mar 1768  Mary HASTINGS, widow
22 Oct 1789  John HASTINGS, an infant, a pauper
9 Jul 1791  William HASTINGS
18 Jul 1791  John HASTINGS
15 Nov 1796  Mary HASTINGS
1 Feb 1798  Ann HASTINGS, a child
18 Jun 1811  John Thomas HASTINGS, an infant
26 Dec 1812  William HASTINGS, an infant

BURIALS (Original register Ref: PR141/1/15)

17 Dec 1818  Mary, wife of John HASTINGS of Well End, aged 70 years
7 Feb 1836  John HASTINGS of Workhouse, aged 79 years

So Mary CLARK has an approximate year of birth of 1748 and John HASTINGS an approximate year of birth of 1757.  Looks like he could be the one from Cookham, especially as a widow Mary HASTINGS was buried at Little Marlow in 1768 who just might be his mother!

Quartermain and variants - Oxfordshire
Wiggins - Oxfordshire
Lowe - Charney Bassett, Berkshire
Bettle - Bedfordshire and Northamptonshire
Marshall - Bedfordshire and Buckinghamshire
Goodman - Buckinghamshire

Offline findem

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 27 May 11 23:42 BST (UK) »
Hi Orpheus.

Many thanks for that info, you've come up trumps yet again  ;D

I'll print it out and take it in later today, I'm off shortly to watch my grandsons play Football (Soccer), shouldn't really be sitting here on the computer.

I agree with your comments regarding Mary Clarke/Mitchell, wish I didn't, at one stage I thought I had a Mary Clark in my Essex line, after a couple of frustrating years following her from Essex to Suffolk, I found I was following a false lead.  It was annoying to have spent all that time for nothing but boy was I glad to ditch the Clark name, Mary Clarks were ten for a penny in Essex.

Regards and thanks.

Offline DougTCanada

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 15 January 18 04:48 GMT (UK) »
Thomas G. Hastings is my line as well. I just wanted to thank everyone for the great info in this thread. I am a new member (because of this thread!) and am not sure how old it is. Did anyone pursue the information about William and Mary in Berkshire in the mid 1700's? Or did that become a dead end?

June's line descends from Thomas Hastings born 1828 & baptised 1845 at Hillingdon, the brother of Emanuel baptised 1820.

Hastings: Essex, Middlesex, Bucks and Berks. Canada too
Bullen: Essex, Canada, Australia

Offline findem

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 16 January 18 03:09 GMT (UK) »
Hi Doug,

Regarding the following from my post dated 26 May 2011:-

"I believe I have a good candidate for John Hastings father of Jonathon from the IGI batch # P008651, John Hastings son of William & Mary. baptised 6 Aug 1758 at Cookham, Berkshire.
I need to check this John out in the burials for Cookham before I can accept him as the John I'm now looking for, have to make sure he didn't die in Cookham, at least before 1780.
Also I need to check Cookham marriage registers to make sure that this John was free to marry Mary Mitchell in Lt Marlow."

Due to various reasons I had to give up my Hastings research for a while, then in December 2016 I was diagnosed with cancer in my gum. 
On the 18 Jan 2017 I was admitted to hospital where the cancer was removed and fortunately they got all the cancer but I was under anesthetic for 13 hours. 
I came out of the operation with what we now know was the start of Renal failure and sciatica pain all down my right leg.
On the 3rd of Feb 2017 I was admitted to emergency with Acute Renal Failure, my Kidneys down to 15% working and sleep deprivation,  a catheter soon got my Kidneys up and running.
In April 2017 I had 30 Radiation Therapy treatments as a precautionary measure.
Then in July 2017 I had green light laser treatment on my Prostrates, as they termed it "shaving them" which got rid of the Catheter.
I lost 12 kilograms in weight which I could ill afford to lose, so I lost interest in computers plus with all the problems also lost interest in genealogy. 
Anyway now that I'm recovering well my interest in computers and genealogy has returned although it will be a while I think before I'm ready to look into those thing I mentioned in my 26 May 2011 post but I wouldn't call William and Mary Hastings a dead end, at least not yet.  ;D 

Offline DougTCanada

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 16 January 18 03:27 GMT (UK) »
Oh my God! You have been through a lot! I am glad to hear that you are improving! 

I started tracing the Hastings side of my family a few years ago - usually just for a couple of weeks each winter. I had been at a dead end with Jonathan and Elizabeth for for quite a while and I was uncertain of Elizabeth's real maiden name. Many people seem to have someone different pencilled in there. So, I was really glad to find this thread :)

Funny, I was just going through some of my old papers from when I first started and I see I had a few Hastings from Berkshire (including John from Hagbourne) in the discard pile. I now need to start searching that route again.

My "Hasting"ancestor is Thomas G. (George I believe) Hastings' son Henry William Hastings. Which one is your wife's?

Offline findem

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 17 January 18 03:58 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

June's mother's maiden name was Lettie Hastings and she was born 1911 at Canning Town Essex.

June's Hastings grandparents are Alfred Hastings (1870) and Letty (aka Lettie) Turner (1869).

June's gt grandparents are Thomas Hastings (brn abt 1828 & bap 1845) and Caroline Hannah Hill 1830).

June's gt gt grandparents are John Hastings (1790) and Elizabeth Ing (s) (1780)

June's 3xgt grandparents are John and Mary Hastings.

It is my belief John, husband of Mary above, is the son of William Hastings and Mary Overshott and was baptised 1758 in Cookham Berkshire but of course this is the link that needs proving as I have posted earlier.

Hope this answers your questions, if you want more info let me know.

Offline DougTCanada

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 17 January 18 04:21 GMT (UK) »
Ah! I have Alfred James Hastings and Lettie with 9 kids but don't have their marriage date.

Today I came across John Hastings of East Hagborne who married Mary Keats of Harwell December 25, 1725. That makes them possible parents of William Hastings b. 1727 in Hagborne who you have married to Mary Overshott. With they being the parents of John Hasting who married Mary Mitchell in 1780 - Maybe we have something here!