Author Topic: Completed Marlow PRs - Hastings c1821  (Read 10896 times)

Offline DougTCanada

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Completed Marlow PRs - Hastings c1821
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 17 January 18 18:32 GMT (UK) »
For those following this thread I found an interesting story about Jonathan and Elizabeth Hastings which includes daughters Emma and Sarah.

At the time it was common for working class people to pawn their Sunday best clothes at the beginning of the week and to retrieve them at the end of the week on payday. This practice led to a robbery in June 1842 and court case involving our family. From the Old Bailey online at
https://www.oldbaileyonline.org/browse.jsp?div=t18420613-1814

JOHN TYRRELL and LOUISA MORRISS were indicted for stealing, on the 19th of May, 1 purse, value 3d., and 1 handkerchief, value 8d.; the goods of Jonathan Hastings: and 1 half-crown, the monies of Emma Hastings, from the person of Sarah Hastings; and that Tyrrell had been before convicted of felony.

SARAH HASTINGS . I am eleven years old. On Thursday morning, the 12th of May, my mother gave me a half-crown in a purse, to go to the pawnbroker's to get something out—as I went the prisoners and a little boy overtook me—the little boy took the handkerchief from me, which contained the purse and money, and gave it to Morriss—Tyrrell was with her—the boy ran away—the prisoners kept together—I ran and told my mother, and got a policeman—the boy was close to the prisoners when he took the money—there was a duplicate in the handkerchief.

Cross-examined by MR. PAYNE. Q. Did you call after the boy to bring back the bundle? A. Yes—I am quite sure the prisoners and the boy were all together—the boy said, "What have you got there?"—I told him I had nothing, and he took it out of my hand.

ELIZABETH HASTINGS . I am the wife of Jonathan Hastings, and the mother of Sarah Hastings. I gave her the duplicate and half-crown to go and get this gown out of pawn—this handkerchief is my husband's, and the half-crown was my daughter Emma's, who is in service.

EMMA HASTINGS . I am the daughter of Elizabeth Hastings. I pawned this gown at Uxbridge—I sent the duplicate and half-crown to my mother to get it out.

RICHARD DAVIS . I am a pawnbroker. Tyrrell came to me, and redeemed this gown with the duplicate on the 19th of May.

JOHN SCOTNEY (police-constable T 180.) I went after the prisoners, and met them near Uxbridge—I asked if they had come along Cowley-road that morning—they both said they had not—I took them, and found the purse in Tyrrell's pocket, and this handkerchief on Morriss, and the gown and shawl, which had been redeemed.
Tyrrell's Defence. There was no one to be seen when Morriss picked up the half-crown and duplicate.

WILLIAM GRIFFIN , (police-constable T 177.) I produce a certificate of Tyrrell's former conviction, which I got from Mr. Clark's office—(read)—he is the person.

TYRRELL— GUILTY . Aged 25.— Transported for Ten Years. MORRISS— GUILTY . Aged 20.— Confined One Year.

Just a FYI In case you are not aware, to be “transported for ten years” meant to be shipped off to Australia for a decade.
Hastings: Essex, Middlesex, Bucks and Berks. Canada too
Bullen: Essex, Canada, Australia

Offline findem

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 18 January 18 03:02 GMT (UK) »
Alfred James Hastings married Letty Turner 15 May 1893 at St Johns church Stratford Essex.

Letty was spelled Lettie in the marriage certificate.

Btw I have 10 children for the above parents so if you list the nine you have I'll supply the tenth.

Regards.
Concentrating currently on:
Essex: Card, Harris, Stowell, Theobald/Tibbles & Turner.
Norfolk: Beale, Cork & Dalton.
Yorkshire: Oswald Sturdy birth/baptism c1708, Oswald where the devil are you?

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline DougTCanada

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 18 January 18 05:20 GMT (UK) »
Thanks, I found the 10th :)

Offline findem

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Thursday 18 January 18 23:03 GMT (UK) »
As you know the eldest child was Ethel Caroline Hastings born 20 Jan 1894 at Woolwich Kent, the birth date I obtained from her baptism entry which was 22 Apr 1894 at St Mary Magdalene Woolwich, the place of birth I obtained from Lettie Hastings June's mother, someone else in the Hastings family thought the place Ethel was born was Islington.

Ethel became Lord Mayor of Woolwich and her daughter acted as Lady Mayoress, from what I understand Ethel's husband, William (Billy) Brooks, was Lord Mayor of Woolwich before Ethel.

I have dates of birth for only two of the the children , the first and the last, Ethel and Lettie, Ethel is the only one of the children I have a baptism date and place for.  As you probably know the births of the middle eight children were registered in the West Ham Registry District Essex, Lettie said all eight were born in Silvertown, Essex.

If you don't mind sharing I would like the marriage date and place for your ancestor Henry Hastings and the bride's maiden name, that would fill another gap.

Offline DougTCanada

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Friday 19 January 18 00:08 GMT (UK) »
Henry William Hastings married Caroline Watson Lightman ( b. July 1853
St Marylebone, Middlesex ) in the first quarter of 1873 at Bethnal Green, Middlesex. I do not have an exact date.

That is very interesting regarding the Lord Mayor of Woolwich. Thank you for sharing that.

Offline findem

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Friday 19 January 18 01:16 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Doug.

Offline findem

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Friday 19 January 18 02:18 GMT (UK) »
Re Thomas Hastings & his wife Caroline Hannah Hill.

In the trees of some people a son Emmanuel born 1872 is shown as being born in Plaistow.

The 1881 Census shows Emmanuel Hastings aged 7 (therefore born c1874) living with two brothers, Joseph Hasting (Head) aged 18 and Alfred aged 9 in West Ham Essex.  Emmanuel and Alfred were noted as brothers of Joseph, all three were stated to be born in St Luke's, Middlesex.

On the Free Reg site there is an Emanuel Hastings birth registered in the March quarter of 1872 in the West Ham Essex Registry District, vol 4a Page 74.

Having already spent a mint of money for various B M & D certs on my wife's line, coupled with the fact that Emmanuel is not June's ancestor, I decided against getting a birth cert for Emmanuel.

Just wondering if you obtained a birth cert for Emmanuel which would determine where he was actually born?

BTW during one of our many trips back to the UK my wife and I paid a visit to Ethel and whilst there Ethel showed us a beautiful and colourful Illuminated Scroll she received when she retired as Lord Mayor, I darn near drooled when I saw it.  ;D

Offline DougTCanada

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Friday 19 January 18 02:38 GMT (UK) »
I do not have a birth certificate for Emmanuel. I had recorded him as born 1872 in Plaistow as per the 1901 census.  The GRO has him born in West Ham 1872 with "Hill" as the mother so it is the right Emmanuel.

Offline DougTCanada

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Friday 19 January 18 02:43 GMT (UK) »
Just one point, St Luke is probably not the St Luke Church in Chelsea but the St, Luke's Parish in Islington. It shows up repeatedly in Hastings records.