Author Topic: Death of George Harrower in 1920s/1930s- COMPLETED  (Read 6373 times)

Offline Stanza

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Death of George Harrower in 1920s/1930s- COMPLETED
« on: Friday 22 October 10 18:49 BST (UK) »
Hi

I am looking for any information about George Harrower, born in Alloa, Scotland on 5 May 1894. It is believed that he died somewhere in Canada, possibly Ontario, in his 30s, ie roughly 1924-1933. It is not known if he married or had any children.

Family Background:

George's parents were Colin Harrower and Maggie McKinnon Harrower (ms Arthur).

Colin and Maggie emigrated from Scotland to South Africa, where their daughter Katherine was born and where Maggie died. Colin returned to Scotland and then re-emigrated to Canada (possibly in 1907), working in the mines at Sudbury, Ontario, where he married Mary Lauder in 1910. Their daughter Mary Allan Harrower was born there on 28 Feb 1911.

The family came back to Scotland, but Katherine then went on to marry and eventually die in the United States. It is believed that George remained in Canada, and may well have served in the Canadian armed forces as there is some sort of military medal involved (no details yet known).

Any information about George or the other family members, either from censuses or BMD records or any other source, or any suggestions on how best to proceed, would be very much appreciated.

Thanks for reading this far!

ABERDEENSHIRE: Simpson, Robb, Kelman, Gatt, Will, Ling, Henderson, Campbell, Stewart, Gordon
DUNBARTONSHIRE: Smith, Russell, Donald, Meiklem
GLASGOW: Guthrie
RENFREWSHIRE: Gilmour, Pollok, Urie
IRELAND: McIlhenny, McIlhaney
LANCASHIRE: Swainson, Baines
YORKSHIRE: Littlewood, Bastow/Barstow/Bairstow, Nussey, Haley, Wilkinson
WILTSHIRE: Marsh, Golding/Goulding/Golden/Goulden
DEVON: Perry, Hurford
BERKSHIRE: Chandler, Langley, Surman
AUSTRALIA: Poole, Surman, Miatke, Baum
GERMANY: Miatke, Baum

Offline carol8353

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me,mum and dad and both gran's c 1955
    • View Profile
Re: Death of George Harrower in 1920s/1930s
« Reply #1 on: Friday 22 October 10 20:31 BST (UK) »
George's parents were Colin Harrower and Maggie McKinnon Harrower (ms Arthur).

Colin and Maggie emigrated from Scotland to South Africa, where their daughter Katherine was born and where Maggie died. Colin returned to Scotland and then re-emigrated to Canada (possibly in 1907), working in the mines at Sudbury, Ontario, where he married Mary Lauder in 1910. Their daughter Mary Allan Harrower was born there on 28 Feb 1911.

I have just looked at the actual marriage entry it was on 23rd July 1910 in Sudbury Ontario.

Mary Lauder single 28 presbyterian,Living at Garson mine,father John Lauder Mother Mary nee Allan.

COLIN Harrower Engineers Helper widowed,43 Presbyterian,also Garson Mine,father George Harrower mother Christina nee Stewart.

Witnesses J Hinton, Beatrice Soubliers Sudbury.

Can't find anything for sure on George b abt 1894 though?

Carol
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Stanza

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 22 October 10 20:46 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the speedy response, Carol.

George was born in 1894 in Scotland and I think he was still here (with his grandparents) at the 1901 census - slightly unsure as there several "George"s in the family.

There's a photo of the rest of the family taken on a visit to Scotland c 1913 and George isn't in it, suggesting he didn't make the trip, and there's no death in Scotland that fits him. The family understanding is that he died somewhere in Canada in his 30s - are Canadian death records for the 1924-1933 period publicly available?
ABERDEENSHIRE: Simpson, Robb, Kelman, Gatt, Will, Ling, Henderson, Campbell, Stewart, Gordon

Offline susano

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 22 October 10 21:41 BST (UK) »
There is no central BMD registry in Canada.  Each province handles its own records and some provinces are more research friendly than others.  Additionally, Canada has very strict privacy laws and they vary from province to province.

The 1911 Canada Census is free to search on automatedgenealogy.com.  Be sure to select the split screen view to see the actual images and the transcription.  Maybe you can find the family on there if you think they were living in Canada at that time.

Susan

Offline Stanza

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 22 October 10 23:02 BST (UK) »
Thanks susano.

Maybe I'm not looking properly, but I can't see any of the family on automatedgenealogy.com, which is a bit surprising as George's half-sister Mary Allan Harrower was apparently born in Sudbury on 18 Feb 1911 (although I haven't seen the original documentation for this) and I believe the census was on 1 Jun 1911.

I suppose they might have come back to Scotland immediately after the birth, (probably carefully timed to miss the UK census on 2 Apr 1911, which for Scotland will become available next year!)

Offline carol8353

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 22 October 10 23:28 BST (UK) »
Thanks susano.

Maybe I'm not looking properly, but I can't see any of the family on automatedgenealogy.com, which is a bit surprising as George's half-sister Mary Allan Harrower was apparently born in Sudbury on 18 Feb 1911 (although I haven't seen the original documentation for this) and I believe the census was on 1 Jun 1911.

The family arrived back in the UK(Liverpool) on the 1st July 1911 on the Laurentic, which sailed from Montreal.

Colin Harrower -carpenter
Mrs Harrower
Kate -child
Mary- infant

Not much info there was there  ;D

Carol

Offline Stanza

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 22 October 10 23:48 BST (UK) »
Thank you, Carol, much appreciated. Can you let me know the source of the information?

As suspected, George wasn't with the family so I guess he must be lurking in the Canadian records somewhere! (As should the rest of the family if they were still in Canada on 1 Jun 1911!)

Offline carol8353

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 22 October 10 23:52 BST (UK) »
I have a worldwide subscription to Ancestry.

But if you can get to see the ships list from Canada,maybe there's a bit more family info on it from that end?

Hope someone from there can tell you where to look.

Carol

Offline susano

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 23 October 10 00:17 BST (UK) »
When the father Colin came to Canada around 1907, who came with him?

Did George have a middle name that he could be using?  I can see quite a number of people with Harrower as a surname but not finding a George born around 1894.

Susan