Author Topic: Death of George Harrower in 1920s/1930s- COMPLETED  (Read 6372 times)

Offline Stanza

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Death of George Harrower in 1920s/1930s
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 23 October 10 00:37 BST (UK) »
Hi Susan

My guess (and that's all it is at the moment) is that he would have been accompanied by his children George and Kate, and possibly by his future wife Mary Lauder.

However, it's also possible that he travelled alone and that the others went to Canada once he had established himself.

Thanks for your involvement.

John
ABERDEENSHIRE: Simpson, Robb, Kelman, Gatt, Will, Ling, Henderson, Campbell, Stewart, Gordon
DUNBARTONSHIRE: Smith, Russell, Donald, Meiklem
GLASGOW: Guthrie
RENFREWSHIRE: Gilmour, Pollok, Urie
IRELAND: McIlhenny, McIlhaney
LANCASHIRE: Swainson, Baines
YORKSHIRE: Littlewood, Bastow/Barstow/Bairstow, Nussey, Haley, Wilkinson
WILTSHIRE: Marsh, Golding/Goulding/Golden/Goulden
DEVON: Perry, Hurford
BERKSHIRE: Chandler, Langley, Surman
AUSTRALIA: Poole, Surman, Miatke, Baum
GERMANY: Miatke, Baum

Offline susano

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 23 October 10 04:05 BST (UK) »
Hi

I found them on FindMyPast coming to Canada on the Laurentian departing Glasgow on January 26, 1907 and arriving Halifax via Boston on February 7, 1907.

Colin Harrower, age 41, railwayman, born Scotland, destined for Sudbury, Ontario
Geo Harrower, age 10
Kate Harrower, age 8

There is also a Peter Harrower, age 39, farm labourer, born Scotland, destined for Sudbury on the same journey.  Could this perhaps be Colin's brother?

On Ancestry, the family is transcribed as Harrison.  Colin's occupation is shown as Fitter on Ancestry.

If you would like to see the image of the passenger list you can search from this link using the ship's name and arrival date given above.  They are listed on page 4.

http://www.rootschat.com/links/0a5t/

Susan

Offline susano

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 23 October 10 06:13 BST (UK) »
Maybe this is your man or maybe it is coincidental that they have the same name, birthplace and birth date...

On Ancestry, I have found a WWI US Draft Registration for a George Harrower, born Alloa, Scotland on May 5, 1894.  This George is working as a miner at Mt. Con Mine in Butte, Montana.  He states that he is 23, single and an alien.  He also states that he has a father and mother who are solely dependent on him and he is claiming exemption from the draft due to Phy Dis which I am guessing means physical disability.  The form was signed on June 2, 1917.

You said that George's sister Kate settled and died in the US.  Do you know what year she went to the US and where she lived?

Susan

Offline susano

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 23 October 10 08:10 BST (UK) »
I further found a Petition of Naturalization in the U.S. District Court of Oregon for George Harrower, born May 5, 1894 in Alloa, Scotland.  He states he immigrated to the U.S. via Canada and crossed the border on foot at Sumas, Washington on August 12, 1913.  His place of residence is Vancouver, Clarke County, Washington and he is a soldier.  He is single, has no children, and has lived in the U.S. since August 12, 1913 and in Washington State since January 1, 1914. 

The following statement is typed on the form:  "The petition was filed under Amendatory Act of May 9, 1918."   George signed the document on August 8, 1918.

I think I may have found him in Illinois on the 1920 Census but will post that separately.

Susan

Online carol8353

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me,mum and dad and both gran's c 1955
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 23 October 10 08:11 BST (UK) »
Well done Susan- I searched high and low in Canada last night for a George born in 1894- and even discounted the one who travelled out in 1907 as George was clearly 10 (b 1897).

So does he appear in the 1910/1920 US censuses?

Carol
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline susano

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 23 October 10 08:35 BST (UK) »
I think I may have found George on the 1920 US Census in Summit, Cook County, Illinois. 

He is transcribed on Ancestry as George Harrover, age 26, single, born Scotland, father born Scotland, mother born Ireland (?), immigrated 1906 and naturalized 1918.  He's a roomer, occupation of Quarryman in a Stone Quarry.

I checked a couple of George Harrovers on the 1910 Census but they were with family groups and weren't born Scotland. 

On the Cook County, Illinois Death Index there is a George Hrehor who died January 3, 1925.  There is no further information and the death document would have to be ordered.  That's the closest I've been able to come.

I had no luck finding George on the 1911 Canada Census but will keep looking.  It seems that he was transient so could be in one of the Western provinces....I had been concentrating on Ontario up until now.

Susan

Online carol8353

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 23 October 10 08:55 BST (UK) »
The Family record search has a death of a George Harrower b 5 May 1894 in Scotland........he died in Broadview Cook Illionis on 5 May 1929

http://pilot.familysearch.org/recordsearch/start.html#p=home

http://www.rootschat.com/links/0a5u/

It says his father was Cullen( Colin?) and mother Margaret Arthur.
Buried on 7 May 1929 at Fairmont Cemetery Palos Cook Illinois.

Carol

Online carol8353

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 23 October 10 08:56 BST (UK) »
What a team eh Susan  ;D

Carol

Offline susano

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 23 October 10 09:27 BST (UK) »
Wow, Carol....good find!!  That's much better than my "clutching at straws" George Hrehor...that was quite a stretch!!

Yes, yah for teamwork ;D

On this high note, I must get to bed...it's almost 1:30 am on the West Coast of BC.   I love a good puzzle but now I'm exhausted.

Susan