Author Topic: 1841 Census look up Kilchoman Islay  (Read 19576 times)

Offline helengowrley

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: 1841 Census look up Kilchoman Islay
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 06 August 08 06:51 BST (UK) »
re duncan mctaggart and mary mitchell they are one of my great great grandparents their son archibald was my great grandparent he married a elizabeth galbraith and they married in greenock and settled in kingarth bute their youngest son john was my grandfather he was born in 1886 and would have just known the duncan mctaggart as he came to live with archibald's family after his wife died her parents were archibald mitchell and ester mckay, the duncan died in 1888 at piperhall kingarth and his parents were archibald mctaggart and christian currie. of duncans other son alexander and the twins ann and mary they went to canada and I have made contact with a distant relation of the alex . esther married a james allen and they lived on the mainland and some of their family now live in fife. christian married a samuel mclean and she died in 1913. If any of this is of interest to you I can list down all the dates and childrens names etc which at present I havent got handy.

Offline chalfontcrew

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 06 August 08 13:53 BST (UK) »
Hi Helen,

Just please I would love any further details you can give me ( I have found him on the 1841,1851,1881,1891 and 1901 census)  Archibald was the brother of my gg grandfather John McTaggart who married Mary Calder.
I cant find them on the 1881 or 1891 census and as yet have not managed to find death dates for either of them.

I will send you a private message with my email address so you can contact me direct.

Thanks
Caz

Offline Max39

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 03 April 10 12:51 BST (UK) »
I am trying to progress our McNeil family.
Duncan McNeil was born about 1786 in Islay. He married a Margaret Young in 1815 Cambusnethan Parish, Lanarks.
The 1851 and 1861 census record he was born Islay, and his death certificate records death 21/8/1871 in Wishaw (Cambusnethan) aged 85 years and his parents were Duncan McNeil, farmer and Catherine McNeil maiden surname not recorded.
Also in 1818 Duncan and Margaret had a son Daniel born in Cambusnethan then two Williams born in Kilchoman. Dates birth 23/3/1823 Ch 30/3/1823 and birth 8/8/1824 ch 15/8/1824 respectively. In 1841 census for Duncan and Margaret there is a William 15/19 years born outside census county 1841 listed. In Addition they were back in Cambusnethan with the birth of son Malcolm born 25 March 1827.

Any help with Duncan his parents, siblings and the possible death of first son William would be very much appreciated.

Max

Offline Craftylass

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 01 September 11 09:53 BST (UK) »
Are you still looking for info on your McNeill family?    I may be able  to assist you as this family is in my McNeill family tree.

Offline Max39

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 01 September 11 12:24 BST (UK) »
Hi,
Yes am still tiding up the McNeil/ McNeill clan. Any help will be most welcome.
Regards,
Max

Offline Craftylass

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 02 September 11 11:00 BST (UK) »
Hi Max,

Just to let you know, Duncan McNeill is my 3 times Great Uncle.   His parents are DonaldMcNeill and Catherine Shaw.   No further information available on them - as yet!   Children: Margaret 1816, Donald 1818, William 1823, William 1824, Malcolm 1827, John 1829 and Catherine 1832.  There is no Daniel in the family.  If Daniel is your ancestor then I think this is the wrong McNeill family for you.   Do you have  his death certificate?   I have looked for a death certificate for the first William but nothing at Scotlands People.gov.   I have just started researching this side of my family.    A 2nd cousin twice removed (ages 97!!) gave another  cousin 28 pages of McNeill family history so am trying to get through all of that.   Will look to see if there is any more info on this family.

Sheila

Offline Max39

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 02 September 11 23:01 BST (UK) »
Hi Sheila,
Very interesting. We do need to collaborate as my wife's 3 times great grandparents were Duncan McNeil and Margaret Young. I think you can widen the family tree as if I'm correct you are introducing a sibling to Duncan McNeil.
I have already found difficulties with the family through variations of Donald and Daniel which may have been Dougald!
Donald McNeil and Catherine "Shaw". - We have Duncan McNeil died 21/8/1871 at 12 Old Row, Wishaw aged 85 years widower of Margaret Young. His parents are listed on death cert as Duncan McNeil, farmer, deceased and Catherine maiden surname not recorded and registered by son Daniel McNeil who made his mark.
Death Certificate 628/00 0225 Cambusnethan.
Moving to Duncan McNeil/Margaret Young children I concur with your listing although I would have Donald born 1818 and christened 7/6/1818 at Cambusnethan with the forename of Donald or Daniel or maybe Dougall!
Donald married Margaret Robertson.
In 1851 census he was Daniel.
In 1855 birth of son Malcolm 23/9/1855 628/00 0332 he is Donald.
In 1861 and 1871 Census he was Daniel.
In 1875 marriage of daughter Mary to John McBride 628/00 0014 he is Daniel.
There are more examples of the use of Daniel.
However on 1/9/1891 Donald McNeil, coal miner, widower of Margaret Robertson died and his parents are recorded on 628/000270 Cambusnethan as Duncan McNeil and Margaret Young.
Interesting, maybe he liked confusing authority!
Reference the sons William McNeil - I have come up agin a brickwall on him or them. I have William McNeil born 23/3/1823 ch 30/3/1823 both dates Kilchoman, Islay and a second William born 8/8/1824 and ch 15/8/1824 also Kilchoman. There is no supportive documentation for either William in Islay. Mystery to be solved.
I think that goes some way towards answering your points. We are back a fair distance in time and ability to read and write must be a factor as would an Argyllshire island accent and maybe a Gaelic influence.
I am interested to find out more about the siblings of Duncan and more on Catherine Shaw.
Regards
Max

Offline Frances1974

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 10 June 21 18:36 BST (UK) »
Hi There

Researching my family tree - I’m a McNeil and Daniel McNeil married to Margaret young is my 5th Great grandfather!

Any information you can help me with to build out our tree would be fantastic!