Author Topic: Uniform identification and dates  (Read 1127 times)

Offline Shonagh

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Uniform identification and dates
« on: Sunday 24 October 10 10:36 BST (UK) »
I've had a lot of problems trying to do something with these photos that were sent to me in word format all on one page so please accept my apologies for the poor quality etc.

Please note that there are 3 photos in this PDF, hopefully they have all attached OK.  Page 2 is blank on the file so please scroll on to find 3 and 4.

The old man - can someone help date this?

The family group - I know it's awful quality but - this photo was taken at Cella Studio Bargate Lincs.  The two men wearing the aprons and hats - any ideas?  The lady in the middle - does her dress and cap give any indication as to the period?

The photo of the couple.  I've tried to identify the uniform without success.  Can anyone help?  What about the 2 'badges'?  I can't find any pics of those either.  WE think the photo was taken in Norfolk.  At least his epaulettes, cuffs and 'badges' are clear to see.  The lady - any ideas on dates?

Thank you so much

Offline old rowley

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • first steps
    • View Profile
Re: Uniform identification and dates
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 24 October 10 10:56 BST (UK) »
I would suspect that the "family group" as you have it is a photograph of the servants to a house. Included in the 12 that are pictured could be house steward, housekeeper, cook, maids (both house and kitchen) possible under steward/page/ or coachman and those with aprons could well be the garden staff, as in head gardener and under gardener.

The badges on the uniform are in fact medals and if possible you could either post that one image on to the armed forces board or failing that post a link on there back to this thread asking for assistance.

OR.
Claxton- East London & Essex<br />Cuthbert- Mile End East London <br />Edwards - East London & Essex<br />Goll- Norfolk<br />Harris-Mile End East London<br />Hurr - Suffolk<br />Law- Bethnal Green East London<br />Moll- East London<br />Robinson- Bethnal Green East London<br />Tait- Argyll & Glasgow<br />Thompson Shoreditch East london<br />Watson- Glasgow<br />Wood- Bethnal Green East London<br /><br />Local history interest; Noak Hill & Harold Hill Essex<br /><br />census information crown cop

Offline jim1

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ain't life grand
    • View Profile
Re: Uniform identification and dates
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 24 October 10 11:15 BST (UK) »
photo's 2 & 3,early - mid 1880's.
photo 1 is quite difficult as there's not much that's dateable,however the pose & backdrop are an 1870's style.

jim
Warks:Ashford;Cadby;Clarke;Clifford;Cooke Copage;Easthope;
Edmonds;Felton;Colledge;Lutwyche;Mander(s);May;Poole;Withers.
Staffs.Edmonds;Addison;Duffield;Webb;Fisher;Archer
Salop:Easthope,Eddowes,Hoorde,Oteley,Vernon,Talbot,De Neville.
Notts.Clarke;Redfearne;Treece.
Som.May;Perriman;Cox
India Kane;Felton;Cadby
London.Haysom.
Lancs.Gay.
Worcs.Coley;Mander;Sawyer.
Kings of Wessex & Scotland
Census information is Crown copyright,from
www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/