Author Topic: Women Dispatch/Despatch Riders  (Read 2000 times)

Offline Sandra Parker

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Women Dispatch/Despatch Riders
« on: Sunday 24 October 10 11:23 BST (UK) »
I am seeking information about women Dispatch Riders in WW2. The initial group, 7 volunteers from the AFS and 8 from the RN began their training in late 1940 or early 1941. I know this from an article in 'Motor Cyclling' in March 1941, of which I managed to get a copy. I have a service record from the Auxilliary Fire Service, but this was prior to the change to the London Fire Service, those service records for my dispatch rider are not available/no longer exist (this is from the London Fire Service Archives).
I did find a single short article from one of the AFS riders, telling a little of their life and training. But I am really interested in any records, details of dates, duration and places of training, location of the unit, conditions of service, regulations affecting marriage and/or pregnancy and how long women dispatch riders were utilised throughout the period 1941-45. Did they cease to ride when they were pregnant? Did they return to riding after having a child?
The National Archives do have some references to Dispatch Riders, they appear to be about male riders or associated with postal services, whereas these dispatch riders were used for ferrying information regarding the Auxilliary (later London) Fire Service.
I would appreciate any ideas.
Sandra
London: Bradford, Van der Velden, Peill, Harris
Norfolk: Chilvers, Sparkes
IOW: Barton, Please, Shiner
Cheshire: Parker. Bradley, Hooley
Staffordshire: Buckley, Hargreaves

Offline Dazey999

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Women Dispatch/Despatch Riders
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 27 October 10 18:15 BST (UK) »

Offline Sandra Parker

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Re: Women Dispatch/Despatch Riders
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 27 October 10 23:09 BST (UK) »
thanks Dazey.
I had the People's War story and had seen the Women in the fire service, but the second one was entirely new to me, so thank you very much. Every little clue helps fill in my jigsaw.
Unfortunately anything on the early WW2 Dispatch Riders is rather sparse, plenty of pics etc of the later ones, once they had their formal riding uniform and new motorbikes, but the first lot, although they had uniforms, their riding gear and motor were rather 'make do for now'.
I am also very interested to find out exactly what they did, as most reports are very general -'delivering messages and reports'.
I'll keep hoping something turns up somewhere.
Sandra
London: Bradford, Van der Velden, Peill, Harris
Norfolk: Chilvers, Sparkes
IOW: Barton, Please, Shiner
Cheshire: Parker. Bradley, Hooley
Staffordshire: Buckley, Hargreaves