Author Topic: 6th Dragoon Guards  (Read 7588 times)

Offline GCE

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
6th Dragoon Guards
« on: Sunday 24 October 10 12:33 BST (UK) »
My Gt Grandad was in the 6th Dragoon Guards in the late 19th Century. Looking at census returns and his army record he was based at many barracks including Canterbury, Leeds and near Edinburgh but also at Hampton Court. What would he be doing at all these places? He and my gt gt grandmother had 14 children, some born at canterbury barracks others at Leeds and one in Scotland. Was it normal for wives and families to follow the soldier to his barracks.

Offline km1971

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: 6th Dragoon Guards
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 24 October 10 13:59 BST (UK) »
They would be mounting guard at Hampton Court. Can you say when he was there, as it would probably by only a detachment of one of the four squadrons rather than the whole regiment. The rest of the time at home they would be travelling from station to station, and staying anything from 3 months to 15 months in each place. Any time in Dublin or Edinburgh may have been because there was a royal visit taking place, or again just part of keeping soldiers busy. A number of cavalry units would be based in Canterbury. It also housed the Depots of many cavalry regiments serving overseas.

By the end of the 19th Century men needed permission to marry. For each rank there were a number of places on the married roll. About 5% of Privates could marry up to 100% of senior sergeants. Once on the married roll the wives and children would travel with the regiment. Exceptions would be going overseas on campaigns such as the Boer War and Egypt/Sudan. Although there were wives and children already in South Africa at the start of the war, attached to the peace time garrison.

Ken

Offline GCE

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 24 October 10 14:17 BST (UK) »
Thanks Ken!

According to census and birth records several children were born at Canterbury barracks between 1880 and 1888, then one was born in Shorncliffe, then two in Leeds in 1890 and 1891, one in Scotland in 1892. He then left the army and became a Private messenger and the family lived in Lambeth. His name was Henry Simons Venus born in Brighton son of Thomas and Patience Venus who owned a greengrocers and fruiterers.

Offline km1971

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 24 October 10 16:11 BST (UK) »
The regiment was in India until November 1888, so he must have been in the Depot. Was he of a high rank or with a particular skill?

It was the Hampton Court posting I was interested in as I do not have a record of that.

Ken

Offline GCE

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 24 October 10 17:12 BST (UK) »
He was just a private and in civilian life before he joined up he put down 'servant' as his occupation!Sorry I have no dates for when he was at Hampton Court. I only know he was there as it is included along with other places in a letter my sister has when she was researching him.

Offline thejohnsmith

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 05 October 11 07:37 BST (UK) »
My Gt Grandfather, James Prior, was also in the 6th Dragoon Guards around that time.  I found him in aboard an Indian Troop Ship, The Crocodile, travelling from Bombay to England on the night of the 1881 Census, Sunday April 3rd. His age is given as 25. He married in Canterbury in 1883 and his daughter, my grandmother, was born in 1884 at 64 Military Road Canterbury which runs alongside the Cavalry barracks. On her birth certificate James is described as a Private soldier in the 6th Dragoon Guards.

I also found that he signed up again in 1900 for 1 year service with the Dragoons of the line - I think this was one of the Royal Reserve Regiments. On his attestation papers for that service it states that he had previously completed 12 years service with the 6th Dragoon Guards. I haven't got a copy of his papers for that 12 year spell though.

John

Offline GCE

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 05 October 11 08:27 BST (UK) »
have you tried www.ancestry.co.uk for his service records as I got my gt grandad's from there.

My gt grandad never served abroad but did travel to different barracks in England and Scotland

GCE

Offline thejohnsmith

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 08 October 11 23:22 BST (UK) »
I've only been able to find the Royal Reserve attestation papers - WO97 / 5723 / 60 - from 1900.  Nothing from his original service yet.  I think that the records in WO 97 are incomplete though (according to the National Archives info) so, even though his discharge would have been in the right date range and, according to info on the Royal Reserve attestation, he served a 12 year term with the 6th Dragoon Guards, ther might be nothing there.

I did find some interesting material in digitized books on the internet archive    www.archive.org .  For example, there is a text from 1858 titled "The British Cavalry" in which the author describes the physical attributes required of men in the various cavalry roles - Dragoons being the larger, heavier men. It made interesting reading.

Thanks

John

Offline GCE

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 09 October 11 07:50 BST (UK) »
Thanks John!

Could you tell me what you put in the search box to get the info?

My nephew wrote to someone and got info on my Gt Grandfather. I will contact my nephew and find out who and where he contacted and get back to you.

Ginnie