Author Topic: 6th Dragoon Guards  (Read 7587 times)

Offline thejohnsmith

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: 6th Dragoon Guards
« Reply #9 on: Monday 10 October 11 22:30 BST (UK) »
I got the info via the findmypast.co.uk site. In searching its always best, I find, to allow for variations in spelling of names. In the case of my Gt Grandfather his family name Prior is often spelt Pryor and sometimes Pryer.

I can't remember exactly what I searched for to find the attestation papers, sorry. Sometimes, with the military records, it helps if you know the service number and, I think, that is often found more readily by searching the medal rolls.  Once you've got the service number then you can search for that in other records.  There were some good tips on the national Archives website.

Thanks for asking your nephew.

John

Offline Christian Humphries

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: 6th Dragoon Guards
« Reply #10 on: Friday 02 February 24 00:26 GMT (UK) »
Hello, I've just come across these messages. Henry Simons Venus is my 3rd Great Grand-Uncle. I have added quite a lot of detail about him and the Venus family to my tree on Ancestry. Henry seems to have been at Hampton Court from 8 Sep 1873 to 1 Aug 1874. There is one posting in his record that I cannot decipher - in 1890 he is serving in a place that reads like Otreusace! Some of these letters may be wrong as the handwriting on the military record is wrong. Any ideas?