Author Topic: San Quentin prison  (Read 1809 times)

Offline k.whigham

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
San Quentin prison
« on: Sunday 24 October 10 18:30 BST (UK) »
Hi
I have recently discovered that a distant relative was in San Quentin prison in 1917.  Does anyone know of prison records that would enable me to find out what crime he had committed and what his sentence was?

Thanks, Kathryn

Online Lisa in California

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Re: San Quentin prison
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 24 October 10 19:57 BST (UK) »
Hi Kathryn:

I don't know if anyone can access records (providing they keep them), but perhaps it may have been mentioned in a newspaper?
http://www.rootschat.com/links/0a69/   

Do you know where he was living prior to the sentence (was it in California)?
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

Offline k.whigham

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 25 October 10 13:25 BST (UK) »
Hi Lisa

Yes, he (Albert Griffiths) was born in San Bernadino 1889. In 1910 he was a meter reader living with his parents; he died in1975 in Orange County.  I'll try your advice on newspaper articles, thanks.

Kathryn

Offline johnnyboy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 26 October 10 06:19 BST (UK) »
Two other possibilities worth examining.

If Albert Griffiths' prison stay extended to 1920, you will probably find him in the U.S. census done that year. All institutions were covered.

You might also try to find him in the World War I draft registration conducted June 5, 1917, which covered men aged 21 to 31. Even without a subscription you can search the WWI draft database on Ancestry.com.

There was a hit returned for Albert James Griffiths, whose registration place was listed as "Miscellaneous, California" (rather than a city or county). I think the Big House counts as Miscellaneous, but you'll have to search Ancestry or get some kind soul to do a look up.

Regards,
John  :o :o :o
ENGLAND (all Yorkshire but one)
SLATER: Ovenden, Halifax, and Massachusetts
DOBSON, LONGBOTTOM: Thornton (Bradford)
DRURY: Darton, Halifax, and Massachusetts
NEVIL(LE): Wigan (Lancs.), Darton
MEGSON: Dewsbury, Ossett
GARSIDE: Woolley, West Bretton

SCOTLAND
ROBERT HENDRY: b. 1856, Who-knows-where-shire, Scotland; 1882 to US
DEMPSTER, HOUSTON: Lesmahagow, Glasgow, and Massachusetts
GALBRAITH, MEIKLE: Kirkmichael, Ayr.; Hamilton, Glasgow, and Massachusetts

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 26 October 10 06:41 BST (UK) »
I couldn't find anything for Albert James Griffiths.  ???
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 26 October 10 06:50 BST (UK) »
WWI Draft Reg
Albert James Griffith
Born: 3 August 1889, San Bernardino, CA
City/County: "Marin[Lake", CA
Ethnicity:  W

San Quentin is located in Marin County.

(Good find, johnnyboy)  ;)

WWI Reg Card
Albert James Griffith
Address: San Quentin Prison, California
Born: August 3, 1889, San Bernardino, Calif, USA
Employed: Confined in State Prison, San Quentin, California
Supporting anyone: brother and two minor children
Married
He was tall, medium build, hazel eyes, black hair
Date: June 5, 1917

Kathryn, you probably already have the above information, since you knew where he was in 1917.  If you would like me to remove his exact date of birth and full name, please let me know.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 26 October 10 07:36 BST (UK) »
Previous thread about the Griffiths:
http://www.rootschat.com/links/0a6o/   
(Posted to avoid duplication of efforts)

Offline johnnyboy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 26 October 10 15:27 BST (UK) »
Hi
I have recently discovered that a distant relative was in San Quentin prison in 1917.  Does anyone know of prison records that would enable me to find out what crime he had committed and what his sentence was?

Thanks, Kathryn

Hi Kathryn: Sorry to duplicate work that you probably already have. I saw your post late at night where I live and obviously was close to falling asleep (or even asleep) when I read it.

The State of California has an inmate locator page, but that seems to cover only those actually incarcerated.

I checked the San Quentin Prison web page to see if there is an e-mail contact address for the prison. There doesn't seem to be one.  However, if you are in the U.S., there is a general telephone number on the page. There is also a mailing address if you want to write to the prison and inquire about archives. Go to  http://www.cdcr.ca.gov/Facilities_Locator/SQ.html and scroll down a bit on the page.

Regards,
John  :o :o :o
ENGLAND (all Yorkshire but one)
SLATER: Ovenden, Halifax, and Massachusetts
DOBSON, LONGBOTTOM: Thornton (Bradford)
DRURY: Darton, Halifax, and Massachusetts
NEVIL(LE): Wigan (Lancs.), Darton
MEGSON: Dewsbury, Ossett
GARSIDE: Woolley, West Bretton

SCOTLAND
ROBERT HENDRY: b. 1856, Who-knows-where-shire, Scotland; 1882 to US
DEMPSTER, HOUSTON: Lesmahagow, Glasgow, and Massachusetts
GALBRAITH, MEIKLE: Kirkmichael, Ayr.; Hamilton, Glasgow, and Massachusetts

Offline Sgriff

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 14 November 12 03:43 GMT (UK) »
Kathryn,
Hoping you still check this board???
I'm also researching this line of Griffiths.. He would be a close relative.

Hope you can reach out to me
Steve Griffith in Kansas.